The Student Room Group

Uni?...

Hi, I went to uni in 2020/2021 I did an art course.
I dropped out of my course because I feel like it either wasn't the right course for me or I wasn't ready to commit to studying and decided to take a break.

I'm now currently volunteering and I am enjoying it, but I'm not sure if it's worth going back to studying even if it's a d course when I don't have the right GCSE's but have done well in college Art Btec.

Anyone else in a similar position or situation?
Any advice on what I should decide to do.
Should I continue to just volunteer and get experience and think about what subject I want to study.
Original post by Cherrysunflower
Hi, I went to uni in 2020/2021 I did an art course.
I dropped out of my course because I feel like it either wasn't the right course for me or I wasn't ready to commit to studying and decided to take a break.

I'm now currently volunteering and I am enjoying it, but I'm not sure if it's worth going back to studying even if it's a d course when I don't have the right GCSE's but have done well in college Art Btec.

Anyone else in a similar position or situation?
Any advice on what I should decide to do.
Should I continue to just volunteer and get experience and think about what subject I want to study.

This sounds confusing.

Most unis only require adequate grades in GCSE Maths and English Language for their courses. They don't really look into other GCSEs.
If you want to apply to specific degree courses, then you might need A Levels/IBs/BTECs/Access in specific subjects. However, this doesn't apply to a list of subjects that accept people with level 3 qualifications in any subject e.g. most business degrees, law, anthropology, nursing, paramedic science, some English degrees, some geography degrees, some degrees in foreign languages, etc.
In some cases, you can apply for a foundation year for some degrees at certain universities, if you don't meet the entry requirements for the specific degree.

Without knowing what specific subject that you want to do, it's very difficult to discern what you would need to do.

I don't usually recommend people going to uni to do a degree in any random subject. More often than not, you usually don't need a degree for specific lines of work, and sometimes having a degree won't give you any advantage in job applications. If you don't know what you want to do, then that's probably the best starting point.

Perpetually volunteering isn't going to help if you think it's going to help you in place of actual work experience.The experience needs to be directly relevant and you should be in a specific job and be paid competitively for it; volunteering won't help with that unless you intend to go into the charity sector.
At best, volunteering would give you something to talk about regarding your character, but it won't give you any credible skills that the employer would take seriously.
If you want something to help give you relevant experience but that isn't a full on job, consider signing up for internships - at least it would give you an insight into the actual job.

If you don't know what you want to do, then I recommend looking into the following questions:

What can you see yourself doing day in day out?

What can you absolutely not stand in a job?

What are your strengths and weaknesses?

What are your values and what would you absolutely need in a job?

What sort of job would absolute violate the values that you have?

If you have all the money in the world, what would you be doing job-wise?

What gets you excited and what would drive you crazy?

When was the last time you were so in focus that you forgot to eat/sleep?

What are your life goals and how would a career fit around it?

What were your favourite subjects at school and why were they your favourite subjects? I presume art is one of them

What subjects did you hate with a passion? Why did you hate them?

What sort of people do you get along with the best?

If the job you are going to do is the last job that you would ever have, would you be happy with it?

What sort of people did you grew up around? What did they do?

What sort of job did your 5 year old self always wanted to do? Why?

Who are your role models and why did you looked up to them?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending