The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Is the University of Glasgow worth it?

Scroll to see replies

I live in Glasgow and the way that Ross Kemp's documentary depicted Glasgow was pretty unfair. Yes Glasgow has a large crime rate but don't all cities, especially Scotland's largest. Also, the university itself isn't anywhere near these underdeveloped places, their actually at the opposite end of the city. Glasgow has got everything you could want as a student (loads of bars, pubs, clubs, shops, restaurants etc). I'm going there myself this September :biggrin: !

The main rule in Glasgow; if you keep yourself to yourself you'll be fine. i.e don't be a ****er
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Lol this is funny because I'm from glasgow and now study at bristol uni.

I'll put it this way, the west end of glasgow where the glasgow uni campus is, is much nicer than bristol, infact glasgow overall is much nicer than bristol. The roughs areas of glasgow are a little rougher than bristol admitedly, but I lived their for 20 years and never had any reason to vist these places, so I don't see why you would ever go there either. They are well out the way.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 22
The university is very good academically- you have access to lots of books to be completely informed on the subjects you are taking and the lecturers and tutors are very helpful. However, if you are going to this university with no friends from home, it can be very difficult to make friends unless you get good flat mates.
Everything is on a big scale and you never see the same person twice. The lectures are huge, and the societies don't make a lot of effort to welcome you and halls don't do any socials. My advice is to look into other universities if possible, but if you decide to go to Glasgow, stay in Murano halls because you'll have the best chance of making friends there. Because Glasgow has so much going on, students scatter across the city and the unions aren't brilliant. I'm sure you will be fine, but please take my advice about murano (it looks crap but it's friendly).
Reply 23
I'm looking for a flat to rent in West End,nothing too pricey,but I have no idea where is the West End.I mean I thought Maryhill was in the West End but it turns out that Maryhill is not really a nice place to live in.Which areas are in the West End? (or postcodes) :biggrin:
Hey am in a similar boat. Got an unconditional from Glasgow and am taking a gap year - doing a lot of thinking as well.
I think that we have to bear in mind that every city has its rougher or more dodgey areas, and 9/10 its completely fine. Even smaller areas have their fair amount of problems, i think glasgow has so much going for it: theres so much to do, it's a beautiful city etc

Anyway, I'm still doing as much research as I can on it. Decisions decisions!
Original post by laurendarnes
Hey am in a similar boat. Got an unconditional from Glasgow and am taking a gap year - doing a lot of thinking as well.
I think that we have to bear in mind that every city has its rougher or more dodgey areas, and 9/10 its completely fine. Even smaller areas have their fair amount of problems, i think glasgow has so much going for it: theres so much to do, it's a beautiful city etc

Anyway, I'm still doing as much research as I can on it. Decisions decisions!

What did you get an unconditional for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mantarini
I'm looking for a flat to rent in West End,nothing too pricey,but I have no idea where is the West End.I mean I thought Maryhill was in the West End but it turns out that Maryhill is not really a nice place to live in.Which areas are in the West End? (or postcodes) :biggrin:

Byres Road, Dumbarton Road and the Great Western Road are the student-y areas in the West End. Hillhead, Partick etc.
Reply 27
Original post by Chammy1
The university is very good academically- you have access to lots of books to be completely informed on the subjects you are taking and the lecturers and tutors are very helpful. However, if you are going to this university with no friends from home, it can be very difficult to make friends unless you get good flat mates.
Everything is on a big scale and you never see the same person twice. The lectures are huge, and the societies don't make a lot of effort to welcome you and halls don't do any socials. My advice is to look into other universities if possible, but if you decide to go to Glasgow, stay in Murano halls because you'll have the best chance of making friends there. Because Glasgow has so much going on, students scatter across the city and the unions aren't brilliant. I'm sure you will be fine, but please take my advice about murano (it looks crap but it's friendly).

I'd disagreee with this... I'm a member of three different societies and they were all incredibly welcoming when I joined and I've made so many friends through them. I'm constantly bumping into people I know all over campus despite not making many friends in halls in first year - I'm now in third year, and while in first/second year my lectures were big, there's now a a maximum of c. 30 people.

I think this just goes to show everyone's experiences differ!
Original post by Alter-ego
I'm a theology and religious studies student here and I can say from my own experience the department and staff within the dept are excellent. I initially applied for another degree but from taking TRS as my 3rd subject in 1st year I changed my mind.

As for the city, it's the same as every large city. There are some rough areas, and some lovely areas. The west end (where the uni is and where all the uni halls are) is a lovely area. The rougher parts are in the east and there really isn't any reason to go there. Just like any other city, there are parts where you probably wouldn't want to walk alone in the dead of night.

I know this thread was started a good while ago but i thought i would show my opinion!

As i am from the north-east part of Glasgow ive seen quite a good bit of the ugly stuff you were referring to but it honestly isnt anything you wouldnt see in any other city. You get the odd person asking for spare change, run down areas, etc (im sure you can imagine) :smile:

It isnt anywhere as near as bad as anyone really makes out to be. Glasgow is a great city and sure it has its shocking moments but every city has? Glasgow isnt really any different. The only thing you should really have trouble with is understanding our thick glaswegian accents haha! Do not worry about moving, as daunting as it may be, this is a great city! Great nightlife and great student support. Every city has its down sides with crime etc so dont worry yourself too much about it. Glasgow has beautiful scenery, great people here there and everywhere! Some people can be a bit stuck up and not offer any help if you need it when out and about but the majority will help if you need it just ask! I hope i havent sugar coated it, just trying to explain Glasgow in its naked body!

I hope ive helped, just ask if you want me to reply to any questions you have :smile:

Alter-ego, only part of this reply was to your post, the rest was for the original thread post im sure you would have known that anyway! x
Original post by seversk
I am currently on my gap year, having confirmed a place at the University of Glasgow studying theology and history. However like I guess most people do, (especially those on gap years who have a year to think about it) I am starting to doubt my decision. I can't tell if these feelings are just generally feelings that you get when you're nervous or not.
I live in the south-west of England, about 450 miles away from Glasgow. The distance intimidates me a little; however, I know that in theory, it only takes an hour to fly from Glasgow to Bristol, and about an hour to get to my house from Bristol Airport.
However, other things keep niggling on my mind. For example, on Ross Kemp: Extreme World, one of the locations was Glasgow. This guy, who has been to Afghanistan, South Africa and other dangerous places, thinks Glasgow is dangerous. This scared me a little.
Also, I'm not sure what the university's like. I went to a tour around it and liked what I saw (both the city and the university) but obviously when I asked my tour guide what she thought about the city and uni she was full of praise. I 'm just worried it won't meet my expectations.
So...what is Glasgow really like? The city itself and the uni? Is it worth moving 450 miles away for four years? I'd really value your thoughts...it's really been eating me up inside!

Yeah, just what everyone else said. The uni itself is in the West End, which is basically the really posh, fancy bit of the city. A good deal of the populace are other students. It's easily as safe, if not safer, than any other major UK city. With the exception of Maryhill, as you've worked out. :biggrin:

The city center is a tiny bit rougher, but I've never felt in any danger, either while alone or part of a group. The standard drunken Glaswegian is usually largely friendly, if loud. There are worse bits, but as a student you're probably never going to visit them. The only time I've ever felt threatened or scared was when we went on a subcrawl through some of the bad parts, so we brought it on ourselves really!

As for places to live, here is my recommendation. Anywhere enclosed in, on, or near the roads I've highlighted is good and easily walk-able. (I wouldn't recommend too close to Partick, personally.) Hope that's helpful. :biggrin:
Original post by seversk
I am currently on my gap year, having confirmed a place at the University of Glasgow studying theology and history. However like I guess most people do, (especially those on gap years who have a year to think about it) I am starting to doubt my decision. I can't tell if these feelings are just generally feelings that you get when you're nervous or not.
I live in the south-west of England, about 450 miles away from Glasgow. The distance intimidates me a little; however, I know that in theory, it only takes an hour to fly from Glasgow to Bristol, and about an hour to get to my house from Bristol Airport...!

I am also in the same position! I have been offered a place on the Economics course which is very exciting, and I am from south east England (Kent). I wanted to ask you how are you going to get all of your stuff up to glasgow if you decide to go there? By plane, train, car?
Reply 31
Any current students who go down to football matches e.g. at Celtic,Rangers, Hampden etc.? Easy to get tickets? Are the stadiums far from the uni itself?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 32
Original post by d123
I'd disagreee with this... I'm a member of three different societies and they were all incredibly welcoming when I joined and I've made so many friends through them. I'm constantly bumping into people I know all over campus despite not making many friends in halls in first year - I'm now in third year, and while in first/second year my lectures were big, there's now a a maximum of c. 30 people.

I think this just goes to show everyone's experiences differ!

Of course experiences differ! I had an unpleasant experience and I was very unlucky. I just didn't meet the same person twice, and it is quite a large university which can be overwhelming. I think if I had a group of friends, I would have had an amazing time! The university is great, and they do have a lot of stuff on, but compared to other universities, it can be hard to meet people.
Reply 33
Original post by TK95
Any current students who go down to football matches e.g. at Celtic,Rangers, Hampden etc.? Easy to get tickets? Are the stadiums far from the uni itself?

Go watch Partick Thistle play instead! They do student discount (£12 for a ticket) and there's a good atmosphere at their games. You turn up on the day and purchase tickets when you're there. Their stadium is closest to the university too and literally round the corner from the Murano street halls.

That said, you can get to Ibrox (Rangers' ground) by taking the subway. It stops right next to the ground. Tickets are easy to get, yeah. Parkhead isn't near a subway station and a bit of a trek from the West End, but I've never been so can't comment on the best way to get there/how to get tickets. You can get to Hampden by taking a train from the city centre and getting off at Mount Florida.
Reply 34
Original post by mythtakes
Go watch Partick Thistle play instead! They do student discount (£12 for a ticket) and there's a good atmosphere at their games. You turn up on the day and purchase tickets when you're there. Their stadium is closest to the university too and literally round the corner from the Murano street halls.

That said, you can get to Ibrox (Rangers' ground) by taking the subway. It stops right next to the ground. Tickets are easy to get, yeah. Parkhead isn't near a subway station and a bit of a trek from the West End, but I've never been so can't comment on the best way to get there/how to get tickets. You can get to Hampden by taking a train from the city centre and getting off at Mount Florida.

Thanks a lot mate. Good to hear that everything's quite accessible. Hopefully see some better football than my home club Leicester City lol. On a terrible run at the moment...

Original post by TK95
Thanks a lot mate. Good to hear that everything's quite accessible. Hopefully see some better football than my home club Leicester City lol. On a terrible run at the moment...

Yeah lots of buses take you to Celtic park. The 62 I think is the best bus to get but don't quote me on it. You can go to the box office a day before and will probably get a ticket depending on the game but I'm sure you get one anyway. I'd recommend going to Celtic v Hearts, Hibs or Dundee Utd, that's probably the most "exciting" games you'll get and make sure you try get a seat near the Green Brigade for a good atmosphere (area 111) I think. An if you ever get a chance to go to an old firm game, take it. Take it. Take it. Take it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Original post by munchen102
An if you ever get a chance to go to an old firm game, take it. Take it. Take it. Take it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No old firm for a while! :wink:
Original post by mythtakes
No old firm for a while! :wink:

Still a chance in the Cup, well next year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
Original post by munchen102
Yeah lots of buses take you to Celtic park. The 62 I think is the best bus to get but don't quote me on it. You can go to the box office a day before and will probably get a ticket depending on the game but I'm sure you get one anyway. I'd recommend going to Celtic v Hearts, Hibs or Dundee Utd, that's probably the most "exciting" games you'll get and make sure you try get a seat near the Green Brigade for a good atmosphere (area 111) I think. An if you ever get a chance to go to an old firm game, take it. Take it. Take it. Take it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh yeah definitely. I went to one old firm when I was visiting here as a kid. Incredible atmosphere but I think I just happened to pick an off day. It was a 0-0 lol

Reply 39
Hi if there are any applicants from England planning to go to Glasgow could you please post on this thread to share your views/opinions on moving to Scotland to study

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...4#post41829884

I'm from England myself and I'm slightly nervous aha :s-smilie:

Do scottish people find it hard to understand english accents? - this is one of my concerns worried I wont make many friends potentially because of this :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending