The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by fallen_acorns
Attacking the man was very wrong - I would never claim it to be right..

But his initial action was also awful (you can presume at an event like these there will be a significant number of rape victims there)

As for the women walking around topless.. if they were to do that infront of a male rape victim, and it cause them the same problems.. I would deplore that, just as strongly.
Though usually this is not the case, and the way they are protesting is simply a way to raise awareness of victim-blaming.

the issue is that very seldom are women ever outrightly told they deserved to be raped. They may be told that 'you shouldn't have drunk too much and left the bar by yourself' if they're extremely insensitive.
Moreover, as pointed out in earlier points, ( i think anyways) they tend to break down from 'no victim blaming' towards 'MEN YOU CAN STOP RAPE' and topless women with signs saying 'CANT TOUCH THIS' (like a rapist will really care about slutwalks and would simply stop after reaching an epitome and realising that, maybe raping women is wrong)

furthermore the context in this scenario doesn't justify any percieved threat. unless that man happened to have a gun. It's one man facing off against a crowd of women, that man's junk i barely a threat. And if a man isn't allowed to show his junk, then women shouldn't be allowed to walk topless or naked. He has every right to walk naked as much as he does
Original post by bottled
the issue is that very seldom are women ever outrightly told they deserved to be raped. They may be told that 'you shouldn't have drunk too much and left the bar by yourself' if they're extremely insensitive.
Moreover, as pointed out in earlier points, ( i think anyways) they tend to break down from 'no victim blaming' towards 'MEN YOU CAN STOP RAPE' and topless women with signs saying 'CANT TOUCH THIS' (like a rapist will really care about slutwalks and would simply stop after reaching an epitome and realising that, maybe raping women is wrong)

furthermore the context in this scenario doesn't justify any percieved threat. unless that man happened to have a gun. It's one man facing off against a crowd of women, that man's junk i barely a threat. And if a man isn't allowed to show his junk, then women shouldn't be allowed to walk topless or naked. He has every right to walk naked as much as he does

for the first part.. the idea behind one of these events is not to try and convince rapists not to rape, but to convince courts and the media to stop blaming the rape victim..
Just look at the recent case in america, with the 2 students.. - instead of going on about how horrible it was, one new station decided to lament on how promising the boys football careers would have been... a seperate station was recorded to have emphasised that the girl had been drinking 7 times, through their short peice on it.. etc..
neither being particularly desirable..

For the second part, you may perceive no threat to a man with his penis out.. and in reality, there may be no threat - yet to a victim of a traumatic violent sexual assult.. this is not the way it will be perceived. Try and have a bit of empathy, and understand that with all they have been through - any form of a man being at all sexual, can be beyond painfull and upsetting.

The distinction between the two things in your last sentance is that they, by being topless are not hurting, or upsetting anyone.. he is..
Original post by from rush hour with love
:rofl::rofl:
Legendary stuff. Gotta love anyone who trolls these whining bitches.

why are they shouting "Ocado" and 0:34, is waitrose big in brazil?
Reply 203
Didn't Ancient Roman and Greek societies have images of penis' everywhere? On statues, in paintings, even on the road (as I discovered when I went to Pompeii). Pretty sure it was to intimidate women and to show off the fact the society was patriarchal. Saw this video where a guy was arguing that we still have penis' everywhere in society, just in a more discreet way. Ie, the fact that skyscrapers are very phallic in design when skyscrapers symbolize wealth and power. Perhaps the legacy of Rome has never gone, it's just more hidden.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 204
for the first part.. the idea behind one of these events is not to try and convince rapists not to rape, but to convince courts and the media to stop blaming the rape victim..
Just look at the recent case in america, with the 2 students.. - instead of going on about how horrible it was, one new station decided to lament on how promising the boys football careers would have been... a seperate station was recorded to have emphasised that the girl had been drinking 7 times, through their short peice on it.. etc..
neither being particularly desirable..

For the second part, you may perceive no threat to a man with his penis out.. and in reality, there may be no threat - yet to a victim of a traumatic violent sexual assult.. this is not the way it will be perceived. Try and have a bit of empathy, and understand that with all they have been through - any form of a man being at all sexual, can be beyond painfull and upsetting.

The distinction between the two things in your last sentance is that they, by being topless are not hurting, or upsetting anyone.. he is..

I seriously. Seriously doubt the median ever blame the victim of a rape for being raped.

However, as much of a douchebag that person was towards those people, those people have no right to attack him ( not implying that you think its right of course) I understand that they have gone through traumatic times. However, as seen by witch hunts for those who Re accused of committing rapes, and the unfair treatment of those who are even acquitted of rape, echoes society's condemnation of rapists, and lack of victim blaming.

Seriously. Make a thread/post in as many relevant forums and say that she deserved to be raped, and see how much backlash you recieve.

Furthermore, slut walks, still do perpetuate the thought that only men can stop rape,and men are to blame for all of this. You cannot deny the hypocrisy of a slut walk which promotes nudity and liberation, yet attacks a man simply for being liberal, and semi nude ( again, I realise the guy is being a douchebag). Which simply allowed the same man to be arrested for indecent exposure, despite there being so many more women who were doing g the same thing.
Reply 205
Guy is certainly a douche. Exposing yourself in public is a crime, and it's even worse if there were minors involved. That said, violence is never the answer to something like this.

As for the "slut walks" or whatever you call them, I am a bit torn. It must be empowering for victims of sexual abuse, which is a good thing. On the other hand, I wish there was a male-positive component to movements like these. Something that unites the genders, rather than a movement that comes across as rather antagonistic to the majority of men who are simply normal and are not rapists/abusers/anything of the sort.

Original post by Redolent
Society does not "blame" women for getting raped any more than the police "blame" home-owners for forgetting to lock their doors when there are robbers about. Everyone with a modicum of common sense knows the enemy is the criminal. There is no need for a "Slut Walk"

That is not quite logical. When someone attacks/assaults a person (sexually or not) it can be totally unprovoked. Sometimes it doesn't matter how you act or what "precautions" you take. Imagine you are standing around in a public place, and a crazy stranger randomly decides to beat you up. Whilst people would probably not blame you for the incident, I don't think you would quite appreciate being told that you may have been able to reduce your chances of getting assaulted despite you not doing anything in the slightest to provoke it.
He shouldn't have exposed his dry raisin.
That bloke must have some serious balls to do that...
Reply 208
I am pretty surprised at how many people in this thread have demonstrated a view that deliberate indecent exposure - a sexual offence - is funny, no-matter who it's aimed at.

Seriously - there were people's daughters in that crowd - and by the look of it, not all of them were even above the age of consent.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Kerny

That is not quite logical. When someone attacks/assaults a person (sexually or not) it can be totally unprovoked. Sometimes it doesn't matter how you act or what "precautions" you take. Imagine you are standing around in a public place, and a crazy stranger randomly decides to beat you up. Whilst people would probably not blame you for the incident, I don't think you would quite appreciate being told that you may have been able to reduce your chances of getting assaulted despite you not doing anything in the slightest to provoke it.

Yes I know, but that isn't to say recommending precautions in itself is somehow reprehensible (unless it comes as a sort of "I told you so" after the act has been committed).

Wrote that post about 5 months ago anyhow
The expression on his face is a thing of beauty. It just says "I have already won".
I can't believe one idiot on the 1st page actually dared trying to compare the civil rights movement to the slut walk. That's disgusting and extremely offensive. If someone actually dared saying that in real life I would have given them a swift backhand. ****ing moron.
Okay I'm not gay, but all I'm saying is if I ran into that guy on a night out, I wouldn't take him home for a one night stand, I'd get his number, go on a date with him later on in the week, take him to a casual but classy restaraunt, then after invite him over to mine to meet my parents. LEGEND.
Reply 213
I just love the look on his face, pure trolling satisfaction :lol:
Original post by Ice Constricter
I can't believe one idiot on the 1st page actually dared trying to compare the civil rights movement to the slut walk. That's disgusting and extremely offensive. If someone actually dared saying that in real life I would have given them a swift backhand. ****ing moron.

trying to compare it to just the slutwalk trend is stupid..

But if they were making the comparison of the womens rights movement, to the civil rights movement.. well thats a lot less stupid..
Original post by marcus2001
Okay I'm not gay, but all I'm saying is if I ran into that guy on a night out, I wouldn't take him home for a one night stand, I'd get his number, go on a date with him later on in the week, take him to a casual but classy restaraunt, then after invite him over to mine to meet my parents. LEGEND.

even in the most liberal definition of 'legend' - flashing your cock, at a group which includes rape-victims, and young girls..

hmm..
Reply 216
even in the most liberal definition of 'legend' - flashing your cock, at a group which includes rape-victims, and young girls..

hmm..

I was going to make a really offensive joke :colondollar:
Original post by 2ndClass
I was going to make a really offensive joke :colondollar:

Dont get me wrong.. I love offensive jokes :tongue:

And il be the first to make one... - just not around people who could be badly hurt/trauamatised by it :frown:

Then.. well, its slightly less funny..
Aha what a joker, seems the harlots below didn't quite see the funny side of it though:roll eyes:

hmm..

lkNiK.jpg

Latest