The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by franki91
I have no reason to suspect that they aren't telling the truth when they say they were raped, so why would I put it like that? To me, saying it like that just seems to be accusing them of lying. I dont know, maybe you arent really feeling as empathetic because you didnt see the program.

Turning this around completely, what reason do you have to suspect that the man isn't telling the truth when he says that the sex was consensual?

Be honest now...
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by marcusfox
LOL, is that all it means, really?

Well, excuse me, but in that case I don't know a single person, male or female, myself included that doesn't 'structure daily activities to avoid being raped'.

So one wonders why that emotive language was used exactly, if not to make women feel even more the victim, incite feminists to the cause and demonise men everywhere as evil rapists.

1 in 6 women will be raped? I don't think you truly believe that. It depends on whose statistics you trust. The UN would disagree. In the US, it is around 30 cases per 100,000 population, or 0.0003% annually. And that is recorded rapes.

I'm not supporting what that guy did at all. I like how you take the whole "if you're not with us, you must be against us attitude", make extremely offensive assumptions (I don't know how you can read that into any of my posts at all) and immediately condemn me as some sort of scum.

Nice to see the usual feminazi prejudice, it wasn't at all unexpected.

I think it only counts if you actually consciously act that way to prevent rape in particular and you think "doing x will lower my chances of being raped", otherwise you're doing it just to be safe generally.

"So one wonders why that emotive language was used exactly, if not to make women feel even more the victim, incite feminists to the cause and demonise men everywhere as evil rapists."

No, I think it was written by someone who was so angry at the fact someone thought it was okay to expose themselves to rape/sexual assault survivors and didn't properly think through the words they were using and didn't really read through what they put.

"In the US, it is around 30 cases per 100,000 population, or 0.0003% annually. And that is recorded rapes."

I used RAINNs and no, I don't believe one in six women are raped. If you'd actually read what I put, it was rape OR ATTEMPTED RAPE. Which are entirely different. I think it was something like 14% (of that one out of six) which were rapes? (cba to check)

Let's be honest though, not all rapes are going to be recorded - particularly if it's a woman raping a man because many people won't take him seriously (because obviously a man just wants sex with a woman all the time it couldn't possibly be rape!!!!!!! and I mean men are so masculine surely he could have just overpowered her!!! he must have been hard so he wanted it!!! kind of attitudes). Similarly, marital rape/rape by a partner is probably less likely to be reported (idk, makes sense though, you see the trend in domestic abuse so). Rape is supposed to be an under reported crime. On RAINN's site it says out of every 100 rapes only 46 are reported to the police. This is inclusive of both male and female rapes.

"I don't know how you can read that into any of my posts at all) and immediately condemn me as some sort of scum."
I never said you supported what he did. The last 3 paragraphs were not aimed at your post. They were general comments, referring to the people who think that someone else's pain is funny. It wasn't about you at all. It was about "all these people on here who are laughing about it". Last time I checked, you weren't laughing about it. Therefore it was not about you. I thought I'd made that clear with the sentence "all thse people...etc" but apparently not. Sorry. Don't appreciate being called a feminazi though.

Although I mean you're right, I'm such a feminazi because I don't believe that people's traumatic experiences should be poked fun at! Really appreciate being called a feminazi when all I've done is 1) answer your question and 2) because I think people who laugh at others' traumatic experiences are ****ty people.

I admit, I probably did overreact a wee bit because I was so angry that people thought what he did was worthy of praise and my last sentence was going too far but I do not think it is very nice of someone to think it's okay for a person to expose themselves to a rape victim, when that could potentially be very triggering to them (because tbh it would be extremely weird if there was a SlutWalk when not a single person had been a victim of sexual assault or rape). I'm sure you agree on that.
Original post by vaguity
I think it only counts if you actually consciously act that way to prevent rape in particular and you think "doing x will lower my chances of being raped", otherwise you're doing it just to be safe generally.

Doesn't change a thing. All the choices I make in my daily life are conscious choices and considered behaviour. As are almost every other person. Apart from those who are sleepwalking.

Admit it, it was a stupid comment. The fact that hardly anyone has jumped in to object to me saying it is a stupid comment just demonstrates that it would be a bear trap to try and justify that in any logical sense without looking foolish. So they choose to anonymously neg my comment instead.

Original post by vaguity
No, I think it was written by someone who was so angry at the fact someone thought it was okay to expose themselves to rape/sexual assault survivors and didn't properly think through the words they were using and didn't really read through what they put.

So why are you trying to justify that language?

Original post by vaguity
I used RAINNs and no, I don't believe one in six women are raped. If you'd actually read what I put, it was rape OR ATTEMPTED RAPE. Which are entirely different. I think it was something like 14% (of that one out of six) which were rapes? (cba to check)

CBA to check? CBA to give too much effort to reply you mean.

First you say "no, I don't believe one in six women are raped." Then you quote statistics that indicate "something like 14% (of that one out of six) which were rapes?" :wtf:

Do you even know how to construct a coherent argument? At least use consistency.

For your information, RAINN claims its 14.8% vs 2.8% That's 14.8% of all women have suffered actual completed rapes and 2.8% attempted rape or put another way, 17.6% in total - 1 in 6 women. (Not 14% of 1 in 6).

From your previous post: "I mean 1 in 6 American women will be the victim of rape or attempted rape". You must have read the page to take the statistics from, I would have hoped you would have checked they gave the correct slant to the argument you wanted to justify...

So if you are saying that you don't believe that 1 in 6 women were raped, then you are saying that RAINNs statistics are a load of bull.

Original post by vaguity
Let's be honest though, not all rapes are going to be recorded - particularly if it's a woman raping a man because many people won't take him seriously (because obviously a man just wants sex with a woman all the time it couldn't possibly be rape!!!!!!! and I mean men are so masculine surely he could have just overpowered her!!! he must have been hard so he wanted it!!! kind of attitudes). Similarly, marital rape/rape by a partner is probably less likely to be reported (idk, makes sense though, you see the trend in domestic abuse so). Rape is supposed to be an under reported crime. On RAINN's site it says out of every 100 rapes only 46 are reported to the police. This is inclusive of both male and female rapes.

The bit in bold is just silly. I wouldn't dare mock female rape in that way.

How does RAINN know how much rape is unreported and how much isn't? Because unreported means just that. Any attempt to quantify it will be largely subjective, extrapolated data and not far off meeting the prejudices of those doing the analysis.

Original post by vaguity
The last 3 paragraphs were not aimed at your post. They were general comments, referring to the people who think that someone else's pain is funny. It wasn't about you at all. It was about "all these people on here who are laughing about it". Last time I checked, you weren't laughing about it. Therefore it was not about you. I thought I'd made that clear with the sentence "all thse people...etc" but apparently not. Sorry. Don't appreciate being called a feminazi though.

Well, you deserved it. Why pick a post where you were quoting me to sound off like that without making the distinction?

Original post by vaguity
Although I mean you're right, I'm such a feminazi because I don't believe that people's traumatic experiences should be poked fun at! Really appreciate being called a feminazi when all I've done is 1) answer your question and 2) because I think people who laugh at others' traumatic experiences are ****ty people.

No, you were (justifiably in my opinion) called a feminazi because of the language and tone of your post which was a direct reply to me. Go back and read it again.

Does this line ring any bells? "Do you honestly think some women are "asking for it" because of what they wear? You think they should be blamed?"

Original post by vaguity
I admit, I probably did overreact a wee bit because I was so angry that people thought what he did was worthy of praise and my last sentence was going too far but I do not think it is very nice of someone to think it's okay for a person to expose themselves to a rape victim, when that could potentially be very triggering to them (because tbh it would be extremely weird if there was a SlutWalk when not a single person had been a victim of sexual assault or rape). I'm sure you agree on that.

It would be extremely weird if they had all been victims of sexual assault or rape survivors as that article and several posters were trying to imply was the reason for the march, as opposed to what I've been saying from page 1, that they are primarily feminists showing solidarity with other feminists.
(edited 11 years ago)
Lol
Reply 144
Original post by bottled
i agree with you with the bottom part of your post, although the fact i'm trying to show is the fact that the 2% rate isn't 2-3% , rather it is higher than 2-3% and therefore more prevalent than people let on. And note, rape isn't a common crime commited within itself, therefore i'm not trying to argue that false rape allegations are a prevalent crime when compared to other crimes, rather within the number of rape allegations. moreover with feminists widening the definition of the term rape, then the number of false rape allegations are bound to be less

I'm not really sure what you're saying, but my point about your source is that it was claiming that false reporting of rape would be higher because of reasons X and Y. The point is though, that doesn't mean that false reporting will be higher for rape than other crimes, because the method for counting false reporting of all crimes is the same. Feminists have had no impact on the definition of 'rape' in this country, that's just not true.

Moreover you mustn't misunderstand me i'm not using it in the manner of which you are saying, i'm simply saying that when a man goes to jail solely based on an accusation it's an example of bias in courts. and if there is a bias in court due to false statistics it'll lead t unfair trials

There are mistakes where people are falsely accused and convicted all the time. My point is there is no evidence that rape is a special case in this regard, but the way people go on about it you'd think that everyone was just crying rape at the nearest person they don't like.

Doesn't change a thing. All the choices I make in my daily life are conscious choices and considered behaviour. As are almost every other person. Apart from those who are sleepwalking.

Ah, just what this thread needs, the bald assertion, without argument, of free will...
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Frasier
Ah, just what this thread needs, the bald assertion, without argument, of free will...

What on earth are you on about? Do try and follow the conversation...

marcusfox
How or why exactly does one need to 'structure daily activities to avoid being raped'?

vaguity
I think what they mean by that is they choose things that will minimise their chances of being raped, not necessarily "daily" activities but "every day" activities, since structuring daily activities to avoid being raped doesn't really make sense because "daily activities" to me mean stuff like having a bath, making food, going to work/school etc (although I guess for travelling to work you could make sure you do certain things to minimise chances of being raped)

marcusfox
Well, excuse me, but in that case I don't know a single person, male or female, myself included that doesn't 'structure daily activities to avoid being raped'.

vaguity

marcusfox

Original post by Frasier

Doesn't have quite the same meaning as the enormously ridiculous conclusion you just jumped to, does it?
(edited 11 years ago)

Yes. Yes they are. Well done. But do you go "I'll do this, so I don't get raped"?

Admit it, it was a stupid comment. The fact that hardly anyone has jumped in to object to me saying it is a stupid comment just demonstrates that it would be a bear trap to try and justify that in any logical sense without looking foolish. So they choose to anonymously neg my comment instead.

It wasn't necessarily a stupid comment because there will be some people out there, rape victims, who will be so affected by this rape (perhaps with PTSD?) that their experience will influence a significant amount of their life and choices.

Maybe they're negging you because they see it's futile to try to argue with you? Or they're busy? Or they just cba? (I actually don't know why I'm replying...seriously need to write this essay...)

So why are you trying to justify that language?

I was answering your question with what I think it means. Well, what it should mean imo.

CBA to check? CBA to give too much effort to reply you mean.

Yeah, I have an exam tomorrow so please please please forgive me for not putting in the appropriate amount of effort. I am so very sorry :frown:

First you say "no, I don't believe one in six women are raped." Then you quote statistics that indicate "something like 14% (of that one out of six) which were rapes?" :wtf:

How do you not understand the difference between that? It's pretty simplistic. I don't believe one in six women are raped. I believe one in six women are a victim of rape OR ATTEMPTED RAPE. I really can't put this any clearer. There is a difference between rape and attempted rape.

Do you even know how to construct a coherent argument? At least use consistency.

My 100% and 94% in my history exams, which relies on coherent and consistent arguments suggests that yes, yes I do.

FYI RAINN claims its 14.8%. That's 14.8% of all women have suffered actual completed rapes or put another way - 1 in 6 women. (Not 14% of 1 in 6).

Ooh okay, sorry, I didn't actually check (supposed to be LNATing). I was just going on memory.

And that's completely ignoring that 14.8% is closer to 1 in 7. (1 in 6.75)

So if you are saying that you don't believe that 1 in 6 women were raped, then you are saying that RAINNs statstics are a load of bull.

I thought the 1 in 6 included the attempted rape. So that's 14.8% + 2.8% attempted rape. Wouldn't that be nearer to 1 in 6 then? (p.s the one in six includes the attempted rape. Just thought I'd say this because you keep ignoring the attempted rape part)

The bit in bold is just silly. I wouldn't dare mock female rape in that way.

Oh dear god. I was not mocking male rape. Did you not note the ridiculous amount of ! which indicated it was a sarcastic comment? Did you note read the "kind of attitudes" at the end that indicated that those were the attitudes others had, and that they were stupid attitudes that prevented victims from getting justice? I was attempting to highlight the ridiculous nature of attitudes towards male rape because surely no reasonable person would believe what I put there. Next time I shall put /sarcasm at the end.

How does RAINN know how much rape is unreported and how much isn't? Because unreported means just that. Any attempt to quantify it will be largely subjective, extrapolated data and not far off meeting the prejudices of those doing the analysis.

Unreported to the police. I think they use surveys and anonymous functions to estimate how much is unreported. Idk man, ask them, not me. I don't work for them.

Well, you deserved it. Why pick a post where you were quoting me to sound off like that without making the distinction?

I thought you were able enough to figure it out. I thought the part where I said "those people" specified which people I was referring to. I overestimated your ability, forgive me. I have edited it now, to clarify.

No, you were (justifiably in my opinion) called a feminazi because of the language and tone of your post which was a direct reply to me. Go back and read it again.

I read it again and I don't see any justification in you calling me a feminazi. What makes you think I'm a feminazi? You don't even know if I'm a feminist! Making snap judgments I see :frown:

Does this line ring any bells? "Do you honestly think some women are "asking for it" because of what they wear? You think they should be blamed?"

THAT WAS NOT AIMED AT YOU JESUS ****ING CHRIST HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO REPEAT THAT. I swear I made that clear in my last post...you know, the part where I said "the last 3 paragraphs were not aimed at your post" aka they were not aimed at you!

It would be extremely weird if they had all been victims of sexual assault or rape survivors as that article and several posters were trying to imply was the reason for the march, as opposed to what I've been saying from page 1, that they are primarily feminists showing solidarity with other feminists.

Well of course they won't be, but I imagine many of them will be - that kind of event will attract victims. Even if there was only one victim in the bunch, that still means one potential trigger.
I think they were trying to show solidarity with rape victims, to show that they supported them and they believed that rape is rape, no matter what circumstances it occurs in, no matter how drunk the victim was or what they were wearing, or how many people they had sex with.

Either way, we don't know if they were primarily non-victims, or primarily victims and we probably won't be able to find out. Could be either really.

there is no getting through to you. clearly my style of writing is not one which you can understand and fully comprehend, therefore any effort on my part to get through to you will be futile.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 147
What on earth are you on about? Do try and follow the conversation...

Doesn't have quite the same meaning as the enormously ridiculous conclusion you just jumped to, does it?

I enjoy you're hyperbole I really do, but yes I did manage to follow the conversation, as ridiculously, enormously and stupendously complicated as it was. You said that every day you make 'conscious choices' and act in a way shaped by 'considered behaviour'. My point is that that's highly debatable given the status of the debate over free will. It's a non trivial point in the context of this thread, given that feminism centres on internal barriers to action, and ultimately the question of how much of individuals' behaviour, if any, can be attributed to their agency, and how much can be attributed to the forces of society. I'm not sure what 'conclusion' you thought I was making, but I think your statement clearly implies an assertion of free will, given that you say you make 'conscious choices every day'.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 148
Original post by Frasier
I'm not really sure what you're saying, but my point about your source is that it was claiming that false reporting of rape would be higher because of reasons X and Y. The point is though, that doesn't mean that false reporting will be higher for rape than other crimes, because the method for counting false reporting of all crimes is the same. Feminists have had no impact on the definition of 'rape' in this country, that's just not true.

for the sake of not dragging you into a long debate, i'm gonna leave it at this i think i see where we are misunderstanding each other. I am talking about, false rape allegations compared to ONLY accusations of rape, not other crimes , i think that's why we aren't understanding each other.

also his face screams 'COME AT ME BRO' all over
Reply 149
Original post by moritzplatz
maybe, but still, if a court decided that the guy is innocent, continuing calling him an attacker is unfair.

also, you do have a reason to suspect they (at least that particular one referred to at the end of the article) are lying : the court's decision.

The article and the program are sympathetic of the women, as it is basically exploring their view of the events that they have experienced. (Considering this, maybe there should be more out there about a man's version of events when wrongly accused of rape?) so yes it may seem unfair on the guy, but as it is from the women's point of view it makes sense (though not necessarily justified).

Turning this around completely, what reason do you have to suspect that the man isn't telling the truth when he says that the sex was consensual?

Be honest now...

I dont have any reason to suspect that he isnt telling the truth, but as explained above, the article is sympathetic of the women and, maybe, simply echoes their points of view and beliefs. It might also be a factor that I am female too and can sympathise with the women more easily than with the man. That doesnt necessarily mean, though, that I prioritise their words over the accused... and like someone said before (maybe you? Cant remember) in many cases it is one person's word against another, in which case it comes down to a matter of opinion. I personally dont see why someone would make this up and lie about something like this, (although sadly people do) and especially go on some program about rape and talk about it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by vaguity
Yes. Yes they are. Well done. But do you go "I'll do this, so I don't get raped"?

Well, not specifically rape, but all forms of experiences that I might consider to have a negative effect on my general wellbeing.

So yes, I consciously structure my activities to avoid the extremely rare possibility (but the possibility nonetheless) of potential rape.

Original post by vaguity
It wasn't necessarily a stupid comment because there will be some people out there, rape victims, who will be so affected by this rape (perhaps with PTSD?) that their experience will influence a significant amount of their life and choices.

Everyone structures their lives to avoid potentially negative consequences unless they are a masochist.

Original post by vaguity
Maybe they're negging you because they see it's futile to try to argue with you? Or they're busy? Or they just cba? (I actually don't know why I'm replying...seriously need to write this essay...)

In other words, they are telling me "I don't like your point, but I have no argument to attack it with"?

Original post by vaguity
I was answering your question with what I think it means. Well, what it should mean imo.

And I demonstrated that everyone structures their day to avoid being raped.

Original post by vaguity
Yeah, I have an exam tomorrow so please please please forgive me for not putting in the appropriate amount of effort. I am so very sorry

Then you shouldn't be arguing on here.

Original post by vaguity
How do you not understand the difference between that? It's pretty simplistic. I don't believe one in six women are raped. I believe one in six women are a victim of rape OR ATTEMPTED RAPE. I really can't put this any clearer. There is a difference between rape and attempted rape.

You have now reached rock bottom and are starting to dig.

The figures alleged by RAINN are 14.8% actual rape and 2.8% attempted rape.

So thats 17.6% total or 1 in 6, is that what you are saying? That you truly believe that 1 in 6 women have been raped or suffered attempted rape?

Looking now at the figure of 14.8 actual rapes (remember you said that you didn't believe that 1 in 6 women had been raped and even tried to twist it into some nonsense about being 14% of 1 in 6?)

14.8% of actual rapes as claimed by RAINN is as near to 1 in 6 as the other, actually 1 in 6.75.

So now you are wriggling, claiming that you don't believe that 1 in 6 women are raped but 1 in 6.75 are, which is ridiculous, since you said earlier that the figure is 14% of 1 in 6, a figure for which you have no basis either.

As a matter of fact, your belief is that the figures for actual rape are 14% of 1 in 6 is somewhere around 2%.

So you are indeed saying that RAINNs figures are a load of bull.

Original post by vaguity
My 100% and 94% in my history exams, which relies on coherent and consistent arguments suggests that yes, yes I do.

Irrelevant. Your arguments here are not coherent or consistent.

Original post by vaguity
Ooh okay, sorry, I didn't actually check (supposed to be LNATing). I was just going on memory.

A pity...

Original post by vaguity
I thought the 1 in 6 included the attempted rape. So that's 14.8% + 2.8% attempted rape. Wouldn't that be nearer to 1 in 6 then? (p.s the one in six includes the attempted rape. Just thought I'd say this because you keep ignoring the attempted rape part)

See above.

1 in 6 does include attempted rape. But the claimed percentage figure for attempted rape is so tiny (2.8%), it makes little to no difference if it is included (1 in 6) or excluded (1 in 6.75)

RAINN are saying that 1 in 6.75 women have been raped.

I asked if you if you believed 1 in 6 women were raped, and you said no. It would be an outrageous wriggle if you said that you don't believe that 1 in 6 women were raped, but you do believe that 1 in 6.75 were raped.

Particularly as you have admitted you weren't aware of the actual percentages of raped and attempted rape when taken separately.

Original post by vaguity
Oh dear god. I was not mocking male rape. Did you not note the ridiculous amount of ! which indicated it was a sarcastic comment? Did you note read the "kind of attitudes" at the end that indicated that those were the attitudes others had, and that they were stupid attitudes that prevented victims from getting justice? I was attempting to highlight the ridiculous nature of attitudes towards male rape because surely no reasonable person would believe what I put there. Next time I shall put /sarcasm at the end.

Ah, so you were being sarcastic about attitudes to male rape? Like that's any better.

Original post by vaguity
Unreported to the police. I think they use surveys and anonymous functions to estimate how much is unreported. Idk man, ask them, not me. I don't work for them.

Unreported is unreported. It's still an estimate, and when you are doing research seeking to prove an argument that supports your hypothesis you will have a significant amount of unconsious bias.

Original post by vaguity
I thought you were able enough to figure it out. I thought the part where I said "those people" specified which people I was referring to. I overestimated your ability, forgive me. I have edited it now, to clarify.

If you want to make such remarks, do them in a post directed at nobody in particular. If you quote someone and respond with an angry missive, it is a given that that particular post will be directed at that person unless explicitly stated otherwise.

Original post by vaguity
I read it again and I don't see any justification in you calling me a feminazi. What makes you think I'm a feminazi? You don't even know if I'm a feminist! Making snap judgments I see

Once again, they were your remarks in a reply to a message that I wrote and you quoted. I'm entitled to presume they were directed at me.

Original post by vaguity
THAT WAS NOT AIMED AT YOU JESUS ****ING CHRIST HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO REPEAT THAT. I swear I made that clear in my last post...you know, the part where I said "the last 3 paragraphs were not aimed at your post" aka they were not aimed at you!

See above...

Original post by vaguity
Well of course they won't be, but I imagine many of them will be - that kind of event will attract victims. Even if there was only one victim in the bunch, that still means one potential trigger.

Potential trigger for what? Believing she is going to be raped whilst in a large crowd of feminists and a man takes his clothes off to be the centre of attention?

Original post by vaguity
I think they were trying to show solidarity with rape victims, to show that they supported them and they believed that rape is rape, no matter what circumstances it occurs in, no matter how drunk the victim was or what they were wearing, or how many people they had sex with.

Solidarity with rape victims, yes, but mainly solidarity with other feminists.

Original post by vaguity
Either way, we don't know if they were primarily non-victims, or primarily victims and we probably won't be able to find out. Could be either really.

Well, if we take your 1 in 6 figure as fact :rolleyes:

Original post by vaguity
there is no getting through to you. clearly my style of writing is not one which you can understand and fully comprehend, therefore any effort on my part to get through to you will be futile.

Oh, I understand everything you're saying. Perhaps it's just futile because your argument really isn't very good.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Frasier
I enjoy you're hyperbole I really do, but yes I did manage to follow the conversation, as ridiculously, enormously and stupendously complicated as it was. You said that every day you make 'conscious choices' and act in a way shaped by 'considered behaviour'. My point is that that's highly debatable given the status of the debate over free will. It's a non trivial point in the context of this thread, given that feminism centres on internal barriers to action, and ultimately the question of how much of individuals' behaviour, if any, can be attributed to their agency, and how much can be attributed to the forces of society. I'm not sure what 'conclusion' you thought I was making, but I think your statement clearly implies an assertion of free will, given that you say you make 'conscious choices every day'.

It is undeniable that I make conscious choices and decisions. As do everyone else. Whether or not that can be truly considered 'free will' doesn't come into it.

Using that to go off on a tangent and start arguing against the concept of free will is such a trivial irrelevance, you should not be surprised that I asked you what on earth you meant.

I suppose at a extreme stretch some might believe that you were attacking an argument you thought I was making and then hastily backtracked once I replied to make it as though you really were following the thread

Almost as though someone was trying to argue I were somehow saying that believing or not believing in the concept of free will somehow changes the conventionally accepted views on the male-female dynamic under discussion in the thread.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by franki91
I dont have any reason to suspect that he isnt telling the truth, but as explained above, the article is sympathetic of the women and, maybe, simply echoes their points of view and beliefs. It might also be a factor that I am female too and can sympathise with the women more easily than with the man. That doesnt necessarily mean, though, that I prioritise their words over the accused... and like someone said before (maybe you? Cant remember) in many cases it is one person's word against another, in which case it comes down to a matter of opinion. I personally dont see why someone would make this up and lie about something like this, (although sadly people do) and especially go on some program about rape and talk about it.

All I can surmise from this is that all things being equal, where a woman says she was raped and a man says it was consensual, you are going to trust the woman's viewpoint more because you are a woman.

It comes down to a matter of opinion alright...
5*'s
Reply 154
Original post by ArtGoblin
What a horrible person. A man exposing his penis is not being funny, he is being threatening. No-one has the right to do that to anyone.

He was being threatening?

What about the horde of women who attacked him?
Reply 155
It is undeniable that I make conscious choices and decisions. As do everyone else. Whether or not that can be truly considered 'free will' doesn't come into it.

If you think that, you don't understand what the debate about free will means. A 'conscious choice' implies that you think you have a choice, which again is an assertion of free will.

Using that to go off on a tangent and start arguing against the concept of free will is such a trivial irrelevance, you should not be surprised that I asked you what on earth you meant.

You didn't ask what I meant. You said that I reached a 'ridiculous' conclusion. I'm not sure what conclusion you were thinking I meant, but you didn't ask me to clarify. If that's what you wanted to do, why didn't you just ask?

And I've explained why it's entirely relevant to discuss the idea of free will on this thread, given the nature of the feminist project, and what you were discussing. The point is, if women are made to feel that they are in danger of rape, they will act to reduce the danger of this, by not going out late at night/not drinking too much and so and so on. In general, women feel less able to defend themselves than men, and they feel that they are more at threat (on the whole). This shapes behaviour, but I'm not sure it shapes conscious behaviour, because I'm not sure I accept that 'conscious behaviour' is a meaningful concept.

To keep it simple to avoid confusion: you made a statement which I think is flat out wrong, and is at least highly debatable. I pointed it out. I stand by that observation. Since you've asked me about it, I've explained why that error is relevant to the thread in question and directly to what you were saying. It's not irrelevant, but the original statement was opaque, largely because I wanted it to be. Your reaction to it was quite amusing though, so I'm glad I went with it in the end. :P

I suppose at a extreme stretch some might believe that you were attacking an argument you thought I was making and then hastily backtracked once I replied to make it as though you really were following the thread

What are you on about really? You didn't understand a throw away remark I made in relation to one of your posts. No harm there, it was relatively opaque, and not really much of a criticism. Instead of asking what it meant you you decided to go on about how I was reaching a 'ridiculous conclusion'. Maybe just ask for clarification next time? It's not difficult, not every post needs to be a grandstanding masterpiece filled with hyperbole.

Almost as though someone was trying to argue I were somehow saying that believing or not believing in the concept of free will somehow changes the conventionally accepted male-female dynamic under discussion in the thread.

That's puzzling, obviously no one, however stupid, could think your posts were saying that because you didn't mention free will once, or anything to do with it. Again, if you don't understand a throwaway, one line comment, just ask what it's about (or ignore it, no one's going to think less of you as a person), rather than claiming to have understood and rejected its 'conclusion' when you clearly haven't at all.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by fallen_acorns
dw - i dont want to have a debate..

anyone who thinks that upsetting rape victims and then laughing at them, is funny..

isnt someone clever enough to string together a good debate about anything at all serious...

now go away :smile:

Hm.. From you ? I think you didnt understand what i said in my previous post, So, plz understand this: I dont want to talk to you so stop replying you whining little boy! :smile: now jog on
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 157
Original post by qwerty7
For those of you still doubting whether what he did was wrong (and I do wonder if there’s something wrong with you, if you have doubts), let me give you an analogous situation. Imagine a gathering of black civil rights activists. Imagine Martin Luther King Jr., Malcolm X, Rosa Parks, and all their colleagues gathered together to demonstrate that being black did not make them lesser people. That being black and living in the South did not mean they were “asking” to be the target of hate crimes.

And at this gathering, a white man decides he should teach them a lesson by pointedly hanging a noose from the nearest tree and laughing at their anger. And other white men, laughing along with him, commend him for taking these activists down a peg.

That’s what happened here. It’s not an “OMG, I can’t believe he did that!” moment. It’s an “OMG, there are people who think this is okay” moment. And the fact is, it’s not. It never will be. And that’s the take home message of this ridiculous rant I’ve written up"

how can you use that as an analogy? They aren't the same... How dare you?

What you've said is just a load of emotional garbage, that just picks out certain parts of the story so that it seems like this man was completely out of order and uncalled for.

It's not as simple as that. Please :hand:
Original post by fastrun
Or the guy is a survivor of women like this: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2204712/Woman-falsely-claimed-raped-men-regretted-having-sex-jailed-years.html

And there is absolutely no way of substantiating the bolded bit.

IMO slutwalk makes men feel quite threatened. They think that women like the article above or other women to a lesser extent will hide behind the slutwalk mantra while actually doing something nasty. Yeah, gender bias thinking, and I don't particularly think like that, but from the feminist bloggers there is a lot of 'they should all understand and agree with slutwalks best intentions or they are all misogynists' and not much actual 'is this the best way to get guys/society to change their perceptions'.

I knew someone would bring up the 'crying rape' thing. A tiny percentage of women do this (although it is devastating for the people wrongly accused, but it's very rare) but it affects millions of rape victims who can't get their rapists convicted because there will always be some doubt that they're faking.

I don't think guys are threatened by slutwalks. Most guys I know think it's a complete joke, and don't care about the sentiment behind it, which is why I think they should keep doing them.
Reply 159
Original post by paradoxicalme
I knew someone would bring up the 'crying rape' thing. A tiny percentage of women do this (although it is devastating for the people wrongly accused, but it's very rare) but it affects millions of rape victims who can't get their rapists convicted because there will always be some doubt that they're faking.

I don't think guys are threatened by slutwalks. Most guys I know think it's a complete joke, and don't care about the sentiment behind it, which is why I think they should keep doing them.

Perhaps the joking masks something?

Perhaps feminists should publicly condemn the women who fake it then?

As I said in another post: in almost every case of female on male domestic abuse and violence, the women's threat of accusing the man of rape and getting him locked up/ruining his life is a key factor in stopping males fighting back or leaving the abusive situation.

The above is not a tiny minority of women. The tiny minority are the ones who go to court and it is proven beyond reasonable doubt that they lied about being raped.

Every normal guy who has a mum, a sister, a female friend or a girlfriend will be against sexual harassment and rape. What they don't like is a lot of middle class wannabe feminists striding around playing at protesters, for the majority its just a fad that attracts every liberal minded social conscious teen.

Protesting seems pretty cool and dramatic - but what is really needed is sustained pressure on government to instigate simple social reforms. Professional full time therapists/councilors of both sexes in schools which children have to see would probably stop people getting into abusive relationships young, and probably highlight and provide support and further help for those who seem likely to behave abusively towards others. Stamping down on child abuse and neglect for children of both sexes, and ensuring parents can spend enough quality time with their kids would also result in people less likely to commit crimes. Social outreach programs and economic help would make a difference to people in current abusive relationships - most of them in less than optimal economic circumstances.

Its crazy really. People look at what the writers say, the intellectuals say, the people who work in shelters say, the psychologists and therapists say, and the only thing that comes through to 'popular culture' and up for discussion is what the bloggers and the internet army call for e.g. slutwalk. I think the 'big display' is the biggest inditement of modern popular feminism and the reason it isn't taken that seriously at all.

Latest