The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

With all those women, poor man must've thought he would've got some.
Original post by Frasier
If you think that, you don't understand what the debate about free will means. A 'conscious choice' implies that you think you have a choice, which again is an assertion of free will.

I do understand what the debate about free will is. The argument as to whether we are exercising free will or not is the difference in whether or not an action is a deliberate action or an unconsious action that you have no control over.

Your theory is that we don't have free will when it comes to risk assessing our activities? :wtf:

I am not going to get into a debate with you over whether or not free will exists, and whether or not in a particular situation we exercise 'free will'.

Whether or not it applies in this situation is a feminist theory, as you have said. You can believe it applies how you like, I don't subscribe to these same theories you do.

Original post by Frasier
You didn't ask what I meant. You said that I reached a 'ridiculous' conclusion. I'm not sure what conclusion you were thinking I meant, but you didn't ask me to clarify. If that's what you wanted to do, why didn't you just ask?

Reading the rest of this post, I can see you reached the same conclusion that I thought you had...

Original post by Frasier
And I've explained why it's entirely relevant to discuss the idea of free will on this thread, given the nature of the feminist project, and what you were discussing. The point is, if women are made to feel that they are in danger of rape, they will act to reduce the danger of this, by not going out late at night/not drinking too much and so and so on. In general, women feel less able to defend themselves than men, and they feel that they are more at threat (on the whole). This shapes behaviour, but I'm not sure it shapes conscious behaviour, because I'm not sure I accept that 'conscious behaviour' is a meaningful concept.

This is my point precisely. You are trying to say that my point about 'consious behaviour' (as in free will) is really an unconsious behaviour (not free will) and thus...

"Almost as though someone was trying to argue I were somehow saying that believing or not believing in the concept of free will somehow changes the conventionally accepted male-female dynamic under discussion in the thread."

Original post by Frasier
To keep it simple to avoid confusion: you made a statement which I think is flat out wrong, and is at least highly debatable. I pointed it out. I stand by that observation. Since you've asked me about it, I've explained why that error is relevant to the thread in question and directly to what you were saying. It's not irrelevant, but the original statement was opaque, largely because I wanted it to be. Your reaction to it was quite amusing though, so I'm glad I went with it in the end. :P

Well, you are entitled to your opinion. People do risk assess their behaviours and make conscious choices based on that to avoid negative experience.

Where the risk assessment fell short in some way, they will be aware that they need to evaluate their risk assessment and learn how to further avoid negative experience.

Therefore everyone makes a conscious choice to structure their daily activities to avoid negative experience.

Original post by Frasier
What are you on about really? You didn't understand a throw away remark I made in relation to one of your posts. No harm there, it was relatively opaque, and not really much of a criticism. Instead of asking what it meant you you decided to go on about how I was reaching a 'ridiculous conclusion'. Maybe just ask for clarification next time? It's not difficult, not every post needs to be a grandstanding masterpiece filled with hyperbole.

If you truly believe the theory that a threat shapes behaviour, just not conscious behaviour, perhaps you should have been aiming your reply in response to vaguity, if you read her responses, she was the one that actually introduced the fact that it is a conscious choice to avoid the threat in the first place...

"I think it only counts if you actually consciously act that way to prevent rape in particular and you think "doing x will lower my chances of being raped", otherwise you're doing it just to be safe generally.

So much for the concept that it being a 'conscious choice' (and therefore free will) being 'flat out wrong and highly debateable' - it's in the very least curious that you're not addressing your comments in her direction if that is your opinion?

Original post by Frasier
That's puzzling, obviously no one, however stupid, could think your posts were saying that because you didn't mention free will once, or anything to do with it. Again, if you don't understand a throwaway, one line comment, just ask what it's about (or ignore it, no one's going to think less of you as a person), rather than claiming to have understood and rejected its 'conclusion' when you clearly haven't at all.

I understood the conclusion that you had jumped to correctly.

"Almost as though someone was trying to argue I were somehow saying that believing or not believing in the concept of free will somehow changes the conventionally accepted male-female dynamic under discussion in the thread."

Your 'free will' argument is trying to argue that a woman does not have free will and thus does not consciously take actions to "structure their daily activities in order to avoid rape"

Otherwise why would you object to the statement "everyone structures their daily activities in order to avoid rape"?

In any case, your 'throwaway comment' regarding free will 'theory' is as much a bald assertion, given as it was without qualification or evidence.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 162
Dressing like a slut isn't the reason some girls get raped, dressing like a slut and drinking so much so you can't walk properly makes you a target for a rapist, this is common sense. Like others have said, taking steps to minimise your chances of being a victim of crime is sensible, you wouldn't leave your front door wide open at night and then when you get robbed complain that it's not your fault, that society should change all potential thieves attitudes so you can leave your front door open. I know people close to me that have been raped and it's a sickening and heartbreaking thing to go through, but they didn't dress like sluts and drink a bottle of vodka and stumble home puking. Nobody should ever give in to the idea that people can do what they like and the consequence isn't their fault. We should be teaching young girls to stay safe as much as possible, what role models are these retards dressed like they are?
Reply 163
Original post by marcusfox
I do understand what the debate about free will is. The argument as to whether we are exercising free will or not is the difference in whether or not an action is a deliberate action or an unconsious action that you have no control over.

Your theory is that we don't have free will when it comes to risk assessing our activities? :wtf:

I am not going to get into a debate with you over whether or not free will exists, and whether or not in a particular situation we exercise 'free will'.

Whether or not it applies in this situation is a feminist theory, as you have said. You can believe it applies how you like, I don't subscribe to these same theories you do.

This was a load of waffle. I enjoy the bolding of the word theory though, as if I was claiming to be stating some sort of fact, or something being a theory makes it less legitimate. Evolution's a theory remember...

Free will is incredibly important to this debate, and your assertion of 'conscious choices', in my view, was wrong. Which is why I pointed out in the first place. My 'theory' is we don't have free will at all, or that if we do it's not anything like the concept you were baldly asserting when you said that you make conscious choices every day. I think to just assert that is a bit silly given the nature of the debate surrounding free will (i.e. basically no one of any philosophical import believes that we have free will in the way you were talking about it, and its existence at all is highly debatable).

This is my point precisely. You are trying to say that my point about 'consious behaviour' (as in free will) is really an unconsious behaviour (not free will) and thus...

You're desperately trying to make it look like you understood what was going on, when you didn't. I'm not really sure why you care that much, I don't think anyone thinks less of you for not getting a small throwaway remark. I didn't think you were saying anything about 'free will', which is what this bit in quotation marks is saying: 'it's almost as though someone was trying to argue I were somehow saying...' I did not think you were saying anything about the nature of free will. You didn't mention the term until I brought it up. It was obvious that you weren't talking about it.

I was saying you're asserting your ability to make conscious choices, I don't think you have that ability, and it's important for this debate. That's not a ridiculous conclusion, which is what you originally stated. I see you haven't bothered to respond to my simple question: why not ask what someone means if you don't get it, rather than assume that you disagree with a conclusion that you clearly don't know they're making.

Well, you are entitled to your opinion. People do risk assess their behaviours and make conscious choices based on that to avoid negative experience.

Where the risk assessment fell short in some way, they will be aware that they need to evaluate their risk assessment and learn how to further avoid negative experience.

Therefore everyone makes a conscious choice to structure their daily activities to avoid negative experience.

Yeah, that's what I was disagreeing with. Again, you're just going on as if you established all of these assertions, which you haven't.

generally.

So much for the concept that it being a 'conscious choice' (and therefore free will) being 'flat out wrong and highly debateable' - it's in the very least curious that you're not addressing your comments in her direction if that is your opinion?

I aimed my remark at you, mainly because I thought if I got a response it would be more ridiculously, stupendously more amusing than anyone else's. Turns out I was right. Again, it was just a throwaway remark, it's not necessary to pick up everyone on everything they say and make remarks about each of them. There's lots of things I've said in the thread which you could have responded to. You didn't. Doesn't mean I'm going to complain about it.

Nope, nope, nope. Not the conclusion I reached at all. Stop trying to say it was. It's obvious that you weren't saying that, even if I had very, very poor comprehension skills (I don't) I couldn't have interpreted anything you said in any such way.

Your 'free will' argument is trying to argue that a woman does not have free will and thus does not consciously take actions to "structure their daily activities in order to avoid rape"

An argument can't 'try to argue' anything. I'm pointing out that the fear of rape will inevitably shape behaviour because fears shape human behaviour all the time. The reason for this is that at the very least they represent a significant internal barrier to acting freely. So, turning to the discussion in hand, women might choose to wear certain kinds of clothes, drink less than they would like, avoid going out late at night and so and so on. In that respect, the fear would be an internally barrier to acting freely.

At the most, we don't have the ability to act freely at all, and hence any attempt to be rational when 'planning our daily activities' is illusionary: in which case, fear would again represent one of the ways in which our environment shapes our actions, a long with a myriad of other factors. The fact that women have this fear will shape their behaviour, and there's nothing that 'they' (because agency is a fallacy) can do about it. Now, that's how the free will debate shapes this debate, and it's why it's important to the discussion. My original comment was a remark pointing out that it isn't necessarily so that we make conscious decisions, which is what you asserted.

In any case, your 'throwaway comment' regarding free will 'theory' is as much a bald assertion, given as it was without qualification or evidence.

I think my assertion didn't need backing up, because it was obvious, given that you said that you thought you make 'conscious choices' all the time, that you thought you had free will.

I'm loving your use of the word theory in this post, but unfortunately I can't keep responding to this. I've made my point clear I think. You were asserting you were able to make conscious decisions, I disagreed. That assertion, without it being backed up at all, is a bald assertion, and you'd need to back it up with an argument to make it rigorous. I'm not just being awkward with this point, this is very much relevant to this thread and the discussion you were having. Your 'theory' (see, I can throw that word around and use it inappropriately to imply you're talking nonsense) is that you go about making conscious decisions every day, and so do these women. I'm asking, can you show that you do make truly 'conscious choices' at all? I doubt you can.

At any rate, as you have said you don't want to consider that you might be wrong on your 'theories' about free will, as philosophically discredited as they are. So be it, I've not got time to talk to someone whose response to someone disagreeing with them is to say 'I'm not going to debate your 'theories' because I don't subscribe to them(!)' So I'm going to leave it there. I look forward to your enormously, ridiculously, grandiosely long post explaining how you really did get my one line remark, probably bringing up the bit in quotation marks that populated the last post as evidence of this fact. Have fun.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 164
Dressing like a slut isn't the reason some girls get raped, dressing like a slut and drinking so much so you can't walk properly makes you a target for a rapist, this is common sense. Like others have said, taking steps to minimise your chances of being a victim of crime is sensible, you wouldn't leave your front door wide open at night and then when you get robbed complain that it's not your fault, that society should change all potential thieves attitudes so you can leave your front door open.

But why victim blame to this extent? If someone leaves the front door open, you might say to them that you shouldn't do that, it's dangerous. You wouldn't blame them if they got robbed though. Hence, the fact that some women don't act safely should be blamed for the rape, as if to say 'it's women's fault for tempting men to rape them'. It's fine to give people advice about how to stay safe. It's not fine to go around telling people who are raped that it's their fault for dressing provocatively or for drinking too much, which is what the slutwalk is about.

I know people close to me that have been raped and it's a sickening and heartbreaking thing to go through, but they didn't dress like sluts and drink a bottle of vodka and stumble home puking.

What you are wearing does not induce more or less rape, it's not about sexual desire, it's about power on the rapist part.

Nobody should ever give in to the idea that people can do what they like and the consequence isn't their fault.

Sigh. The point is that the people who are to blame for rape our rapists. Not acting in a safe manner is not relevant to whether you should be 'blamed' for the crime. That's the point here. As I've said before, this level of victim blaming is left for rape for some reason, never any other crime. You never hear about a murder victim 'oh they shouldn't have been hanging around the estate, it's their fault!' It wasn't the victim's fault, it was the person who murdered them's fault. I think that should be obvious.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Frasier
This was a load of waffle. I enjoy the bolding of the word theory though, as if I was claiming to be stating some sort of fact, or something being a theory makes it less legitimate. Evolution's a theory remember...

Free will is incredibly important to this debate, and your assertion of 'conscious choices', in my view, was wrong. Which is why I pointed out in the first place. My 'theory' is we don't have free will at all, or that if we do it's not anything like the concept you were baldly asserting when you said that you make conscious choices every day. I think to just assert that is a bit silly given the nature of the debate surrounding free will (i.e. basically no one of any philosophical import believes that we have free will in the way you were talking about it, and its existence at all is highly debatable).

You're desperately trying to make it look like you understood what was going on, when you didn't. I'm not really sure why you care that much, I don't think anyone thinks less of you for not getting a small throwaway remark. I didn't think you were saying anything about 'free will', which is what this bit in quotation marks is saying: 'it's almost as though someone was trying to argue I were somehow saying...' I did not think you were saying anything about the nature of free will. You didn't mention the term until I brought it up. It was obvious that you weren't talking about it.

I was saying you're asserting your ability to make conscious choices, I don't think you have that ability, and it's important for this debate. That's not a ridiculous conclusion, which is what you originally stated. I see you haven't bothered to respond to my simple question: why not ask what someone means if you don't get it, rather than assume that you disagree with a conclusion that you clearly don't know they're making.

Yeah, that's what I was disagreeing with. Again, you're just going on as if you established all of these assertions, which you haven't.

I aimed my remark at you, mainly because I thought if I got a response it would be more ridiculously, stupendously more amusing than anyone else's. Turns out I was right. Again, it was just a throwaway remark, it's not necessary to pick up everyone on everything they say and make remarks about each of them. There's lots of things I've said in the thread which you could have responded to. You didn't. Doesn't mean I'm going to complain about it.

Nope, nope, nope. Not the conclusion I reached at all. Stop trying to say it was. It's obvious that you weren't saying that, even if I had very, very poor comprehension skills (I don't) I couldn't have interpreted anything you said in any such way.

An argument can't 'try to argue' anything. I'm pointing out that the fear of rape will inevitably shape behaviour because fears shape human behaviour all the time. The reason for this is that at the very least they represent a significant internal barrier to acting freely. So, turning to the discussion in hand, women might choose to wear certain kinds of clothes, drink less than they would like, avoid going out late at night and so and so on. In that respect, the fear would be an internally barrier to acting freely.

At the most, we don't have the ability to act freely at all, and hence any attempt to be rational when 'planning our daily activities' is illusionary: in which case, fear would again represent one of the ways in which our environment shapes our actions, a long with a myriad of other factors. The fact that women have this fear will shape their behaviour, and there's nothing that 'they' (because agency is a fallacy) can do about it. Now, that's how the free will debate shapes this debate, and it's why it's important to the discussion. My original comment was a remark pointing out that it isn't necessarily so that we make conscious decisions, which is what you asserted.

I think my assertion didn't need backing up, because it was obvious, given that you said that you thought you make 'conscious choices' all the time, that you thought you had free will.

I'm loving your use of the word theory in this post, but unfortunately I can't keep responding to this. I've made my point clear I think. You were asserting you were able to make conscious decisions, I disagreed. That assertion, without it being backed up at all, is a bald assertion, and you'd need to back it up with an argument to make it rigorous. I'm not just being awkward with this point, this is very much relevant to this thread and the discussion you were having. Your 'theory' (see, I can throw that word around and use it inappropriately to imply you're talking nonsense) is that you go about making conscious decisions every day, and so do these women. I'm asking, can you show that you do make truly 'conscious choices' at all? I doubt you can.

At any rate, as you have said you don't want to consider that you might be wrong on your 'theories' about free will, as philosophically discredited as they are. So be it, I've not got time to talk to someone who's response to someone disagreeing with them is to say 'I'm not going to debate your 'theories' because I don't subscribe to them(!)' So I'm going to leave it there. I look forward to your enormously, ridiculously, grandiosely long post explaining how you really did get my one line remark, probably bringing up the bit in quotation marks that populated the last post as evidence of this fact. Have fun.

Can't win, can I. I make a short and to the point post and I'd be accused of not addressing your argument. I address all your arguments in turn, and I'm accused of making a 'grandiosely long' post.

Considering the length of your angry missive, that's a bit hypocritical, don't you think?

I've highlighted the important parts in bold just so you can see how ridiculous they are.

Of course we have the ability to make conscious choices, unless you are saying that you are somehow making an unconscious choice when it comes to replying to my posts on here, and in every aspect of daily life.

So tell me, what is it that is causing you to reply to my posts, if not conscious choice? Some automatic built in reflex action?

By the way, it is ridiculous to compare your theory to the theory of evolution. I'm sure there are many theories that that you disagree with.

You cannot prove by logic that free will doesn't exist. It's just your prejudice. I don't see why the traditional view is not correct - namely that we have (or are) minds, and we can decide what to do, without it being determined by something.
Reply 166
All I will say in response to your post is that you need to look at the debate about free will, and why no respected philosophers make the kind of claims about free will you're making. It's not my job to educate you about the debate, and as you say, I'm not going to convince you anyway. If you're interested, I'd start with some stuff by Galen Strawson. The point is, whether free will exists or not, it looks nothing like the kind of thing you're talking about, where people make wholly free and conscious choices about their lives. As you say, you cannot see why it's not true that we just don't have free will. That's because you've not looked into the debate surrounding it. I'm not going to bother to establish the result, mainly because you're not interested in hearing about it, as you just said.

I'm not comparing my 'theory' (it's not "my" theory by the way, its a well established result in philosophy) to evolution. I'm just pointing out that to sling the word about as if it indicates that my argument is less legitimate is stupid, as if you don't know what the word means.

My highlight here is you putting in bold bits of what I've written just to say 'look how ridiculous you're being'. I know what my posts say. I write them, all of them in fact. So unless you've got an argument as to why I'm wrong (you don't), then putting these bits in bold does absolutely nothing. It was amusing though.
Reply 167
Original post by Frasier

yes. what people fail to see is that rapists rape for their ego, power, to show superiority, and an assortment of other reasons. how you look/dress may affect your chances though as a rapist is more likely t o go after someone wearing less clothes, than someone wearing a lot of clothes, due to accessability.

Perhaps the term, #Don't get drunk' is not a good way to put it, but don't get drunk on your own. But sexual offences only make up only 2-3% reported crime so thankfully it isn't THAT
this is why slut walks are ineffective because rapists really don't give a crap about right or wrong or whether or not they're violating you. and this is also why that no matter what that ijit did to them, those girls in the photograph SHOULD be charged for assault .

but on the victim blaming bit imma just put this quote here

No one ever deserves to be raped.

I’m going to say that again. No one ever deserves to be raped. It is never your fault that you were raped. It is never justifiable to deny someone aid after they were raped because they were irresponsible or careless. Rape is a horrible thing to happen to any human being, and you will never see any of us say that a victim “had it coming”.

That being said.

This blog has, on a number of occasions, been accused of “victim-blaming”; that is to say, insinuating that someone “got what was coming to them” or something like that. We thought, then, that it’d be prudent to write up a short explanation of what victim-blaming really is, and why simply pointing out how an incident could have been avoided doesn’t count.

First, let’s apply the “you could have prevented that” model to a few other crimes.

Someone’s house is burglarized, they left their door unlocked.

“You could have prevented that if you’d remembered to lock your door.”

Someone’s car is stolen, they left their key in the ignition.

“You could have prevented that if you’d taken the keys with you.”

Someone gets drunk at a party, passes out, and wakes up with Sharpie all over their face.

“You could have prevented that if you’d drunk responsibly.”

Are any of these victim blaming? No, they’re not. Victim blaming would be to say “It’s your own damn fault that your (house was burgled/car was stolen/face was defaced), because you didn’t take (steps to protect yourself).”

See the difference? In the end, the only person who is responsible for the burglary/theft/graffiti is the person who did it, but nonetheless we can understand that certain things would have prevented it. We as a society work very hard to teach people to take those various steps (lock your doors, don’t leave the keys in the ignition, drink responsibly) even though we understand that it’s not the victims fault. It’s a line that we have to straddle between advocating common sense and blaming victims for the actions of criminals.

If a woman who was raped had gone to a rave, taken ecstasy and blacked out, that doesn’t... Citation
I don't like 'feminists'.
Original post by Frasier
All I will say in response to your post is that you need to look at the debate about free will, and why no respected philosophers make the kind of claims about free will you're making. It's not my job to educate you about the debate, and as you say, I'm not going to convince you anyway. If you're interested, I'd start with some stuff by Galen Strawson. The point is, whether free will exists or not, it looks nothing like the kind of thing you're talking about, where people make wholly free and conscious choices about their lives. As you say, you cannot see why it's not true that we just don't have free will. That's because you've not looked into the debate surrounding it. I'm not going to bother to establish the result, mainly because you're not interested in hearing about it, as you just said.

I'm not comparing my 'theory' (it's not "my" theory by the way, its a well established result in philosophy) to evolution. I'm just pointing out that to sling the word about as if it indicates that my argument is less legitimate is stupid, as if you don't know what the word means.

My highlight here is you putting in bold bits of what I've written just to say 'look how ridiculous you're being'. I know what my posts say. I write them, all of them in fact. So unless you've got an argument as to why I'm wrong (you don't), then putting these bits in bold does absolutely nothing. It was amusing though.

I don't subscribe to this theory. I am aware of the arguments for and against from a philosophical perspective, neverthess, I don't believe that we don't have personal control over our actions and choices on a day to day basis.

Simply speaking, I make my own observations and I can see that I have a wide variety of choices available to me in a myriad of daily situations.

Your argument is trying to make the facts of life fit the theory - in a way, much like a religion, when science is all about making sure that theories fit the facts of life.

If we have no free will, it should be possible to predict any future action that we might make. Suppose that prediction says that we would hold up two fingers. Do you imagine that in no way it is possible to frustrate that prediction?

If it is predetermined that we should hold up two fingers and we don't, then you must be free to choose not to do so. Surely if it were the truth that we do not have free will, science should be able to predict in theory that we will hold up two fingers. You will no doubt say that the prediction is changed because we have knowledge of that prediction, but again if everything is predetermined, then it is possible to take that into account when making the prediction...

It is ridiculous to claim that every action we take is somehow predetermined, and we have no control in the matter whatsoever.

If that were the case, then there would also be no responsibility, yet it is clear from the way that society holds us to account and judges our behaviours and choices, that is not the case.

Rapists are blamed for rape, etc...

Regardless, this whole 'free will' argument doesn't really matter in the context of the point I was making, and you have drawn the thread off at a tangent.

I said that we all structure our lives to avoid negative consequences, and vaguity was trying to make the point that the difference was that some people make it as a conscious choice. I said that so what if they did, we all make it as a consious choice.

I'm not really bothered if it's actually made as a conscious choice or not. Regardless, it's a choice made by everyone.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by from rush hour with love
:rofl::rofl:
Legendary stuff. Gotta love anyone who trolls these whining bitches.

I never appreciate what a bunch of silly monkeys humanity still is then when I see videos of screaming mobs and exposed genitalia.

Screaming mob at genitalia is just the final level of primate behaviour.
Original post by qwerty7
If you're a survivor of rape, I'm sure a man flashing himself can be pretty threatening, even if that wasn't his intention.

Hahahaha what the ****.

Would it really be too much effort to look elsewhere?
Original post by qwerty7
For those of you still doubting whether what he did was wrong

What you think is wrong.

I saw a penis which I find inoffensive tbh.

Try not to use your opinion to support your moral absolutism.

It's about context. Trying to force his penis into others without consent is fairly objectionable. A penis in and of itself just being there is at best crude but harmless.

Plus I love the irony of going on a 'Slut Walk' and getting angry at genitalia. Call it a 'People Who Really Find The Sight of Penises Upsetting Walk' would make more sense.

Also the Civil Rights allegory was full retard.

Civil Rights are not the same as Sexual Crime issues. This shouldn't need saying.

lastly:
Original post by Redolent
Society does not "blame" women for getting raped any more than the police "blame" home-owners for forgetting to lock their doors when there are robbers about. Everyone with a modicum of common sense knows the enemy is the criminal. There is no need for a "Slut Walk"

This perfectly sums up my thoughts.
Reply 173
I don't subscribe to this theory. I am aware of the arguments for and against from a philosophical perspective, neverthess, I don't believe that we don't have personal control over our actions and choices on a day to day basis.

Simply speaking, I make my own observations and I can see that I have a wide variety of choices available to me in a myriad of daily situations.

None of this is refuting the deterministic hypothesis though is it? The point is that it seems like you have a choice, but you actually don't, because your actions are completely predetermined: you will make choices based on who you are, your genes, the way society has shaped you etc. etc. Given that you can't shape those things, you can't shape the choices you make. What you're saying is basically that you think you have choices, which is not the point at all. You're sounding a lot like the water in Schopenhauer's example.

If we have no free will, it should be possible to predict any future action that we might make. Suppose that prediction says that we would hold up two fingers. Do you imagine that in no way it is possible to frustrate that prediction?

You're missing the point entirely if you think that. Yes, it would be theoretically possible to predict any future action under determinism (though in actuality no one would be able to do it), if a person who had that ability could do it, he would know that you were going to not hold up two fingers, for whatever reason. Your action set is totally predetermined, the fact that you do or do not stick two fingers up is going to be determined by your genes, temperament etc. In other words, your 'frustration of the prediction' would have been the action that was predicted and so on and so on.

Again, I'm not sure what you're trying to disprove by continuing to assert you think you have a choice, it's really besides the point whether or not you think that. You need to show why that choice is actually 'free' and in what sense it is 'free'.

In a nutshell you can think of the argument as being: "What happens in the past controls the present and the future. We can't control the past. We can't control how the past controls the present and the future. So we can't control the present and the future." What beef do you have with this argument? Just saying 'well I think it seems like I am able to make free choices' is just pointless, because that's not an argument against determinism at all.

If that were the case, then there would also be no responsibility, yet it is clear from the way that society holds us to account and judges our behaviours and choices, that is not the case.

So because 'society' thinks that people are responsible for their actions, you think that proves free will? I know, from reading this exchange, that your knowledge of the free will literature and the ideas that need to be discussed is limited. All you've done here is asserted very basic, obviously non-criticisms to the hypothesis which no one is going to accept as an argument. I know, having studied the debate a fair amount, that you know very little about the debate, or haven't grasped what determinists (or more specifically, hard determinists) are talking about.

I don't really have the time or the inclination to bother to discuss it in depth with someone who won't change their mind by their own admission, it's rather pointless, so I'm going to leave it there. Feel free to have a look at the debate, if you have a good look around for some decent literature you might find you change your mind, I know a lot of people who have.

Regardless, this whole 'free will' argument doesn't really matter in the context of the point I was making, and you have drawn the thread off at a tangent.

Irrelevant. I've explained why it's important for the thread, and indeed what you were talking about. You haven't disputed what I've said about how the fear of rape will shape women's lives in a very negative way.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Frasier
Yes, it would be theoretically possible to predict any future action under determinism (though in actuality no one would be able to do it), if a person who had that ability could do it, he would know that you were going to not hold up two fingers, for whatever reason. Your action set is totally predetermined, the fact that you do or do not stick two fingers up is going to be determined by your genes, temperament etc.

Nevertheless, determinism says that all actions are predictable. Whatever they predicted, it would be possible to frustrate it after the event. If he says "I'm going to do X" I can simply do Y.

Saying that you can theoretically predict what I'm going to do before I do it, and then saying that you know that I'm not going to do what you predicted I was going to do because you know what I'm really going to do is circular reasoning.

Original post by Frasier
Irrelevant. I've explained why it's important for the thread, and indeed what you were talking about. You haven't disputed what I've said about how the fear of rape will shape women's lives in a very negative way.

The fear of any crime will shape anyone's life in a very negative way.

You cannot specifically limit this to rape. Of course, to do so only with rape is a common attribute of feminist theory, and does nothing for the credibility of its argument.

This is the final thing I will say on the free will matter. When we define free will, we are not discussing abstract concepts or even reasoning or knowledge that proceeds from theoretical deduction rather than from observation or experience.

It is an issue of purely empirical facts. The clearest evidence we can have for the existence of free will is that we all observe it during our every waking moment of our lives.

The only basis for your denial of the concept of free will stems from your arbitrary exclusion of introspection as a valid source of empirical knowledge, coupled with one unpersuasive interpretation of the law of causality.

Free will is perhaps more than any other thing the single distinctively human attribute which sets us apart from everything else.

Furthermore, if you are denying free will exists, then you are effectively denying that the perpetrator of a rape is responsible for his crime.

Original post by Frasier
I don't really have the time or the inclination to bother to discuss it in depth with someone who won't change their mind by their own admission...

Well, if you follow your argument, then surely as I have no free will, the whole state of my mind and beliefs are predetermined and incapable of voluntary change. Whether I am to change my mind or not has nothing to do with any evidence I might consider, because the fact that I will change my mind or not is already predetermined. :rolleyes:

If I had free will, I would do what we usually do when overwhelmed by convincing arguments: namely, change my mind. The arguments against free will are not convincing, however...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 175
Nevertheless, determinism says that all actions are predictable. Whatever they predicted, it would be possible to frustrate it after the event. If he says "I'm going to do X" I can simply do Y.

Oh God you're not getting the point at all. The point is that your action to do Y is predetermined. You will do Y, even if you thought you were going to do X at some other point. For example, you might think you were going to raise your hand, but then I say 'determinism is false if you don't raise your hand'. So you don't. You might think you've got a choice here, but you don't. The final decision to not raise your hand was predetermined. Can you point me to any literature you've read on this subject? Not to sound rude, but I'm really think you haven't read anything at all, if you were studying this subject even at a really low level you'd realise that these are just non-arguments.

The fear of any crime will shape anyone's life in a very negative way.

You cannot specifically limit this to rape. Of course, to do so only with rape is a common attribute of feminist theory, and does nothing for the credibility of its argument.

No one's limited it to rape? I don't even think the person you were discussing this with before was claiming that only the fear of rape shapes people's lives in a negative way. Can you point me to one feminist who says that rape is the only fear that should be considered to limit free action, or shape behaviour, depending on their perspective on the free will debate? Can you cite me an example of this claim please.

It is an issue of purely empirical facts. The clearest evidence we can have for the existence of free will is that we all observe it during our every waking moment of our lives.

:rolleyes: Schopenhauer's water. Seriously. Look it up.

The only basis for your denial of the concept of free will stems from your arbitrary exclusion of introspection as a valid source of empirical knowledge, coupled with one unpersuasive interpretation of the law of causality.

This means absolutely nothing. My basis are a lot of convincing arguments which I've touched on here and you've not responded to. To sum up in a nutshell:

"You do what you do, in any given situation, because of the way you are.
In order to be ultimately responsible for what you do, you have to be ultimately responsible for the way you are at least in certain crucial mental respects.
But you cannot be ultimately responsible for the way you are in any respect at all.
So you cannot be ultimately responsible for what you do"

http://www.rep.routledge.com/article/V014SECT2

This is Strawson's formulation of a well honed argument. It's fairly convincing, and I cited the less refined argument earlier.

Furthermore, if you are denying free will exists, then you are effectively denying that the perpetrator of a rape is responsible for his crime.

That depends on your notion of responsibility, right?

Well, if you follow your argument, then surely as I have no free will, the whole state of my mind and beliefs are fixed and predetermined and incapable of change :rolleyes:

Sigh. You really don't understand the argument. Why do you think that a lack of free will means that your mind can't be changed? It merely states that you're not the one changing it.

You keep showing you don't get what the argument is. It's quite funny to see actually, I can see by the way you reacted to my first post that you like throwing your weight around on here, but I've seen very little to back up that bluster. Calling people's 'conclusions' 'enormously ridiculous' isn't a substitute for an argument.

If I had free will, I would do what we usually do when overwhelmed by convincing arguments: namely, change my mind. The arguments against free will are not convincing, however...

Whose arguments have you read, and why weren't you convinced by them?
Original post by Frasier
Oh God you're not getting the point at all. The point is that your action to do Y is predetermined. You will do Y, even if you thought you were going to do X at some other point. For example, you might think you were going to raise your hand, but then I say 'determinism is false if you don't raise your hand'. So you don't. You might think you've got a choice here, but you don't. The final decision to not raise your hand was predetermined.

No, you're not getting it.

As I've said, the action that you will do X is predetermined. This must be possible, since you have said that it is predetermined. It cannot in any way be changed that you will ultimately do X.

It is not merely a case that you believe you will do X and instead do Y. It is a case that it has already been predetermined that you will do X.

Your theory even says that the fact that we will do X is predetermined and there is nothing we can do to change it. Therefore it must be possible in theory to analyse our specific pysche and determine without a shadow of a doubt that we will do X, a determination that incorporates our reaction to knowing that we will do X, our reaction to knowing that it incorporates our reaction that we will do X, and so on indefinitely.

But if you determine before an event that you will do X, you can certainly falsify any prediction about X, and if the prediction is derived perfectly from a comprehensive knowledge of your body’s constituent micro-particles, then your mind must be free. In a crucial sense, then, the denial of free will is predicated on our ignorance of the very causal laws that supposedly show that free will is impossible.

As I've already said, this is one post too many on the subject, so if you want to take my lack of willingness to go off on a tangent and engage you in debating abstruse philosophical theories as conceding the point, rather than debating the original topic, which was feminists protesting - then so be it.

You can look at many pyschologists and sociologists takes on the theory and none of them are all going to agree entirely with each other on the theory, so as far as I'm concerned, we'll just have to agree to disagree and any further discussion is a waste of bandwidth.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 177
No, you're not getting it.

As I've said, the action that you will do X is predetermined. This must be possible, since you have said that it is predetermined. It cannot in any way be changed that you will ultimately do X.

It is not merely a case that you believe you will do X and instead do Y. It is a case that it has already been predetermined that you will do X.

Your theory even says that the fact that we will do X is predetermined and there is nothing we can do to change it. Therefore it must be possible in theory to analyse our specific pysche and determine without a shadow of a doubt that we will do X, a determination that incorporates our reaction to knowing that we will do X, our reaction to knowing that it incorporates our reaction that we will do X, and so on indefinitely.

But if you determine before an event that you will do X, you can certainly falsify any prediction about X, and if the prediction is derived perfectly from a comprehensive knowledge of your body’s constituent micro-particles, then your mind must be free. In a crucial sense, then, the denial of free will is predicated on our ignorance of the very causal laws that supposedly show that free will is impossible.

As I've already said, this is one post too many on the subject, so if you want to take my lack of willingness to go off on a tangent and engage you in debating abstruse philosophical theories as conceding the point, rather than debating the original topic, which was feminists protesting - then so be it.

You can look at many pyschologists and sociologists takes on the theory and none of them are all going to agree entirely with each other on the theory, so as far as I'm concerned, we'll just have to agree to disagree and any further discussion is a waste of bandwidth.

I notice how the question I asked you in regards to the feminists who you think say that rape is the only fear that shapes behaviour was ignored, but you took the time to spout nonsense on a theory you've clearly read none of the literature on. I find that interesting I must say, given that you've said several times that you want to get back to point.
Original post by Frasier
I notice how the question I asked you in regards to the feminists who you think say that rape is the only fear that shapes behaviour was ignored, but you took the time to spout nonsense on a theory you've clearly read none of the literature on. I find that interesting I must say, given that you've said several times that you want to get back to point.

When I said that the fear of any crime will shape anyone's life in a very negative way, you interjected.

You are limiting it to rape with your words. "...the fear of rape will shape women's lives in a very negative way." as though it were somehow differentiated.

Yes, this thread is about rape protesting, but several posters have tried to make the distinction between rape and other crimes when it comes to 'avoiding them'

If your argument is the same as mine, that it's clear that the fear of any crime will shape anyone's life in a very negative way, then why do you need to necessarily make an example of rape as though it were somehow different?

I neglected to mention as much as I wished in my previous post, including the above as it was late, but nevertheless - if determinism is true it is already predetermined that in a given situation, I will do X, and X is change my mind or not change my mind, one or the other, then the fact that I will change my mind or not change my mind is already predetermined, and I cannot make a conscious choice of my own free will to change my mind, that will happen automatically if it is to happen at all.

It is no different in saying that I cannot make a conscious choice out of my own free will to structure my own day.

Whether my mind changes or not, I am not the one changing it. It doesn't matter how much evidence I read, because I cannot make the conscious choice out of my own free will to go and read that evidence. If I were to do so, it would be predetermined that I would do so. You can tell me to do so, but whether I do so or not is necessarily predetermined.

Of course you will argue that my mind can be changed by others, including yourself, but if that behaviour is already determined in some way, then my response to that will be predetermined also.

I don't have that choice to make, it's already made for me. So I don't see why I can be criticised by a believer in determinism for refusing to make a conscious choice of my own free will to go and read in detail everyone's philosophical theories about determinism, after all, the fact that I will do so or not must necessarily be predetermined.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 179
When I said that the fear of any crime will shape anyone's life in a very negative way, you interjected.

You are limiting it to rape with your words. "...the fear of rape will shape women's lives in a very negative way." as though it were somehow differentiated.

Nope, not at all. I'm just saying that the fear of rape will shape women's lives in a very negative way. In what ways does that imply that other fears won't shape their lives in a negative way?

If your argument is the same as mine, that it's clear that the fear of any crime will shape anyone's life in a very negative way, then why do you need to necessarily make an example of rape as though it were somehow different?

I'm not making example of rape, I'm talking about how the fear of rape has negative impact on women's lives. You were the one saying it was ridiculous to think that this fear shapes daily activity, not me. You were actually denying what you are now accepting: that the fear of rape does shape daily activities.

This thread is about women protesting about how the victims of rape are treated and sometimes blamed for their crimes. Are you really surprised that people have talked about the fear of rape more than other kinds of fears?

You still haven't backed up your claim about feminists, I find that very interesting. Basically, can you admit what you were saying was rubbish that you made up based on your reading of probably zero to very little feminist literature?

The reason why we might see rape as a crime worth talking about is for the reasons I've already talked about on this thread. People treat the victims of rape differently to say those of murder (a lot more blame comes their way) and they focus very heavily on women lying about their rapists, despite there being no evidence that this occurs with a higher frequency than other crimes. That's the kind of arguments I've seen on this thread. I don't see much about how rape is the only fear that will shape behaviour, if anyone said that I'd disagree and be surprised, frankly, if that were said explicitly.

I neglected to mention as much as I wished in my previous post, including the above as it was late, but nevertheless - if determinism is true it is already predetermined that in a given situation, I will do X, and X is change my mind or not change my mind, one or the other, then the fact that I will change my mind or not change my mind is already predetermined, and I cannot make a conscious choice of my own free will to change my mind, that will happen automatically if it is to happen at all.

It is no different in saying that I cannot make a conscious choice out of my own free will to structure my own day.

Whether my mind changes or not, I am not the one changing it. It doesn't matter how much evidence I read, because I cannot make the conscious choice out of my own free will to go and read that evidence. If I were to do so, it would be predetermined that I would do so. You can tell me to do so, but whether I do so or not is necessarily predetermined.

Of course you will argue that my mind can be changed by others, including yourself, but if that behaviour is already determined in some way, then my response to that will be predetermined also.

I don't have that choice to make, it's already made for me. So I don't see why I can be criticised by a believer in determinism for refusing to make a conscious choice of my own free will to go and read in detail everyone's philosophical theories about determinism, after all, the fact that I will do so or not must necessarily be predetermined.

You're still not really understanding what determinists are saying, as proven very well by that last paragraph (behaviour can be changed, even if couldn't be, my distaste for people who think they know about stuff when they've read absolutely nothing about it is part of my behaviour and so on). Do you want a discussion on determinism or not? You said in the last post you didn't, but you can't seem to let go. I'm happy to have one, try to actually respond to the arguments for the argument that I put forward a few posts back. I'm not going to respond further to your points here because I'm not going to write a long post only for you to say you don't want to talk about it any more.
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest