The Student Room Group

Choosing a university near my boyfriend?

So, I will going away to university next year and I am in the process of deciding which university. I am in a long term relationship with my boyfriend, but he is joing the navy next summer and will be based in Portsmouth. I have looked at Newcastle university and it looks good and when I visited, I really liked it there, but as you can tell this is miles away. My boyfriend doesnt want to influence my decision and said he will travel at weekends but the amount of time I spend with him now, it will just change so much. I looked at universities down south and looked at Southampton. It is a much better university than Newcastle and is really good for my course, but I won't be able to visit it until next year.

I don't know what to do, my family want me to go newcastle because its closer to home and they wouldn't want me to go Southampton. I know people say don't base your chose on your boyfriend, but even if things didnt work out, it is still a really good university.
I'm just a little confused, whats your opinion?
Reply 1
Don't base your whole decision on him - if the uni you want to go to happens to be near Portsmouth, that's a bonus. If Newcastle is better, go to Newcastle.

It's your future and education, not his so it needs to be what's best for YOU alone.
If it's a university you'd be happy at and you don't think Newcastle is any better then go for it. It's never a good idea to make a choice like this solely on where your other half's at but there doesn't seem to be much reason for you to go to Newcastle not Southampton.

That said you surely get to apply to 5 universities via UCAS? So why not put down both (+presumably three others) and work it out later on? If you get an offer from Southampton and not Newcastle (or vice versa) then the whole decision making process was kind of pointless.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Choose where you think is best for you, regardless of your boyfriend AND regardless of your parents. When I went to uni, I was in a long-term relationship of three years that I expected to last forever- fortunately, my boyfriend at the time was lovely and sensible enough to never pressure me into going to uni near him. Now we've broken up, I'm very thankful for that, because it meant that I applied to and chose the uni that I thought was right for me. If your relationship is strong enough, it will last the distance, but this education is going to impact on the rest of your life.
Reply 4
Original post by Kirsty...x
So, I will going away to university next year and I am in the process of deciding which university. I am in a long term relationship with my boyfriend, but he is joing the navy next summer and will be based in Portsmouth. I have looked at Newcastle university and it looks good and when I visited, I really liked it there, but as you can tell this is miles away. My boyfriend doesnt want to influence my decision and said he will travel at weekends but the amount of time I spend with him now, it will just change so much. I looked at universities down south and looked at Southampton. It is a much better university than Newcastle and is really good for my course, but I won't be able to visit it until next year.

I don't know what to do, my family want me to go newcastle because its closer to home and they wouldn't want me to go Southampton. I know people say don't base your chose on your boyfriend, but even if things didnt work out, it is still a really good university.
I'm just a little confused, whats your opinion?

Simply put, I would say to forget what your boyfriend thinks and what your parents think. Base your decision on which univeristy and course you prefer. Your boyfriend should respect your decision, and it appears he will, and your parents should too.
Speaking as someone who chose her university partially because that's where her boyfriend went:

It's hard. When you're in love you want to be together, and when I was already spending every other weekend at my boyfriends' uni in his first year, I thought it would be ideal if I went to the same uni. I loved the place/the uni anyway, so it wasn't just solely based on my boyfriend. Needless to say, I got better marks anyway, and got into a lot better unis, but I still chose this one.

Now I'm in my second year, and I don't regret coming here, because I've made amazing friends and had the best time, and I love my course. Me and my boyfriend actually split up in the October after I arrived, through stress of balancing seeing each other and schoolwork. However, we have made up since then and are pretty solid now, but I imagine that we would have had a lot less problems and probably wouldn't have even broken up in the first place if I had been more sensible about my decision.

So yeah, it can work, but at the end of the day I'd follow where your instincts lie.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending