The Student Room Group

why do some girls try to flirt with there boyfriends around another guy they like

So there’s this girl i never even spoke too before. I heard she likes me and she has stared at me before. She has a boyfriend tho and i havnt heard her talk about it but she seems comfortable hugging her boyfriend around me.

One time i just saw her near my perphial visión just hugging her boyfriend for like a long time and she seemed to be looking at my direction while smiling i think. I don't know if she was actually looking at me tho.

I also had a similar experience with another girl who liked me and she had a boyfriend and she would filrt with him around me. I don’t get this tho? Why would they do that if they got a crush on someone and i know it’s a bad thing to do. i’m just curious. Like some might say they’re trying to make me jealous but how can i be jealous if they don’t know if i even have interest
Hi there,

From what you have told me, and from my own experience, I believe that what those girls are doing to you, is just flirtatious behaviour that makes them feel better about themselves and also send a confusing message that they are interested in you in some type of way but they themselves are not sure about it.

It could also be the case that many girls nowadays identify as bisexuals so even though they are in a opposite-sex relationship, they might think they are missing on a same-sex relationship (whatever type), thus sending mix signals (assuming that you are a girl interested in girls).

I do not think it is jealousy, it is just increasing one's self-esteem and confidence of being able to get whoever they like, whether that is for a short-term or long-term thing, and whether it is for a one-time or continuous occasion. I know a lot of people from my university that have done that to me and I am pretty sure that I have done that to others as well, probably both intentionally and accidentally.

I hope that my personal view on this helps. Hopefully others will be able to share their perspectives as well.

Best wishes.
Original post by Anonymous #2
Hi there,
From what you have told me, and from my own experience, I believe that what those girls are doing to you, is just flirtatious behaviour that makes them feel better about themselves and also send a confusing message that they are interested in you in some type of way but they themselves are not sure about it.
It could also be the case that many girls nowadays identify as bisexuals so even though they are in a opposite-sex relationship, they might think they are missing on a same-sex relationship (whatever type), thus sending mix signals (assuming that you are a girl interested in girls).
I do not think it is jealousy, it is just increasing one's self-esteem and confidence of being able to get whoever they like, whether that is for a short-term or long-term thing, and whether it is for a one-time or continuous occasion. I know a lot of people from my university that have done that to me and I am pretty sure that I have done that to others as well, probably both intentionally and accidentally.
I hope that my personal view on this helps. Hopefully others will be able to share their perspectives as well.
Best wishes.
oh im a boy btw and yeah i agree it can’t be to make me jealous plus if i never even showed interest then why would she even think i would get jealous
Original post by Anonymous #1
So there’s this girl i never even spoke too before. I heard she likes me and she has stared at me before. She has a boyfriend tho and i havnt heard her talk about it but she seems comfortable hugging her boyfriend around me.
One time i just saw her near my perphial visión just hugging her boyfriend for like a long time and she seemed to be looking at my direction while smiling i think. I don't know if she was actually looking at me tho.
I also had a similar experience with another girl who liked me and she had a boyfriend and she would filrt with him around me. I don’t get this tho? Why would they do that if they got a crush on someone and i know it’s a bad thing to do. i’m just curious. Like some might say they’re trying to make me jealous but how can i be jealous if they don’t know if i even have interest
**gasp as you wipe the sweat bead from your forehead** It was all a dream
Reply 4
Original post by appleonly
**gasp as you wipe the sweat bead from your forehead** It was all a dream
it wasnt
Reply 5
'why do some girls try to flirt with there boyfriends around another guy they like?'

'So there’s this girl i never even spoke too before. I heard she likes me and she has stared at me before. She has a boyfriend tho and i havnt heard her talk about it but she seems comfortable hugging her boyfriend around me.'

Why are you listening to rumours and overthinking things? A girl has looked at you and hugs her boyfriend near you; she's probably looked at other people and hugged her boyfriend near them. Ignore it; there's bigger things in life with which to be concerned.
Reply 6
Original post by Surnia
'why do some girls try to flirt with there boyfriends around another guy they like?'
'So there’s this girl i never even spoke too before. I heard she likes me and she has stared at me before. She has a boyfriend tho and i havnt heard her talk about it but she seems comfortable hugging her boyfriend around me.'
Why are you listening to rumours and overthinking things? A girl has looked at you and hugs her boyfriend near you; she's probably looked at other people and hugged her boyfriend near them. Ignore it; there's bigger things in life with which to be concerned.
they’re not rumors. I saw her friends saying to her “don’t you like him?” and they were pointing at me and no one else was around me
Reply 7
they’re not rumors. I saw her friends saying to her “don’t you like him?” and they were pointing at me and no one else was around me
"I heard she likes me" and a girl being asked "don’t you like him?", but you not knowing the answer, are completely different.

I'll put a different slant on this...

Maybe it's less about you and more about them as a couple? In private, sometimes a girl might say to her boyfriend something like "That guy from accounts is always flirting with me" ... a lot of the times it's to keep her own boyfriend on his toes. Basically she's letting him know that other people find her physically / sexually attractive, so if he messes up, then she's got other options.

On the other hand, maybe she's trying to provoke a reaction from her boyfriend... if he gets jealous, then it (supposedly) shows he cares about her. Now bearing in mind jealous partners (of either sex) can be dangerously unpredictable, is that really something you want to get caught up in?

If she really likes you, then she'll finish things with her boyfriend and give some clear signals of interest to you. Until that happens, just leave them be and find someone who's single.
Reply 9
Original post by Surnia
"I heard she likes me" and a girl being asked "don’t you like him?", but you not knowing the answer, are completely different.
well sorry i worded it wrong
Original post by Old Skool Freak
I'll put a different slant on this...
Maybe it's less about you and more about them as a couple? In private, sometimes a girl might say to her boyfriend something like "That guy from accounts is always flirting with me" ... a lot of the times it's to keep her own boyfriend on his toes. Basically she's letting him know that other people find her physically / sexually attractive, so if he messes up, then she's got other options.
On the other hand, maybe she's trying to provoke a reaction from her boyfriend... if he gets jealous, then it (supposedly) shows he cares about her. Now bearing in mind jealous partners (of either sex) can be dangerously unpredictable, is that really something you want to get caught up in?
If she really likes you, then she'll finish things with her boyfriend and give some clear signals of interest to you. Until that happens, just leave them be and find someone who's single.
yeah i was thinking the same I’m gonna let them be
it wasnt
Was*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending