The Student Room Group

Money saving tips

I'd like to start a list.

I'll go first.

Boots are doing 2 for the price of 3 on most toiletries and vitamins.

I bought 3 showers gels and 3 moisturisers today and saved almost £10.

Scroll to see replies

Start doing your weekly shop in ALDI, you can get almost everything you would in large supermarkets like TESCO but for a margin of the price. And contrary to popular belief, the food/meat/fruits are incredible quality :smile:
Reply 2
Shop around don't just go to one supermarket even upper market supermarkets have competitive prices

If you want free food big supermarkets throw out ALL out of date food early in the morning so,you can help yourself to what you find lol

There's also the five finger discount if your in that way inclined

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Where's the cheapest fuel? I think you can save 10p a litre if you spend £50 at sainsburys but not sure.
Reply 4
Even with the offers at Boots, some products are cheaper elsewhere, e.g. BodyCare, Home Bargains. etc. Don't get drawn in by BOGOF etc offers before looking at the actual prices - often supermarkets and other shops will often put the prices up just before, e.g. some crisps that are £1 a packet one week could be £1.99 the next week but be 'buy 2, get 1 free' to get people to buy them, even though they were still a better deal the previous week.

Basically just read moneysavingexpert.com, I doubt there's anything you can think of that isn't already on there lol.
Reply 5
Original post by diggy
Shop around don't just go to one supermarket even upper market supermarkets have competitive prices

If you want free food big supermarkets throw out ALL out of date food early in the morning so,you can help yourself to what you find lol

There's also the five finger discount if your in that way inclined

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've worked for a big supermarket, they don't throw out of date food away. It gets sent back to the depot and destroyed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by coopsyy
I've worked for a big supermarket, they don't throw out of date food away. It gets sent back to the depot and destroyed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

the tesco near me literally throws all of their food out and they leave it at the front of the store
Find a mate who works at a supermarket.

For example, I've befriended a lad who works at Tesco and another who works at my local offie.

Job done.
Reply 8
- make a budget and stick to it. Include money for emergencies
- draw out money each week and that's all you can spend
- if you shop in places like Sainsburys, Tesco, Boots, etc. get their loyalty cards. This will save you loads of money
Original post by OU Student
- make a budget and stick to it. Include money for emergencies
- draw out money each week and that's all you can spend
- if you shop in places like Sainsburys, Tesco, Boots, etc. get their loyalty cards. This will save you loads of money

Thissss! I'd recommend the second even if you don't shop their often, coz if there's one across from your work or something, you still may shop there.

And go for the best value for money, but not the cheapest. i.e if they have 50ml of perfume for £20, or 100ml for £30, go for £30 (especially if it's for you, as opposed to a gift). But don't do this for everything i.e you can buy 10 coloured highlighters for £2 or 30 for £4, but you know you won't use most of the colours in the £4 pack.
Not sure if it's a money saving tip, but if you like a book in a shop, write it down and then see if they have it in the library or cheaper on amazon, unless you need it then/it's a rare book.
Original post by LovePeaceAwesome
And go for the best value for money, but not the cheapest. i.e if they have 50ml of perfume for £20, or 100ml for £30, go for £30 (especially if it's for you, as opposed to a gift). But don't do this for everything i.e you can buy 10 coloured highlighters for £2 or 30 for £4, but you know you won't use most of the

If you look at the sticker / label on the shelf where the item is, it normally gives you the price per 100 ml.
Original post by OU Student
If you look at the sticker / label on the shelf where the item is, it normally gives you the price per 100 ml.

Yeah but not for all products, like I said with the highlighter. and some people don't always read/consider it
Only take cash on a night out!

This not only stops you from buying everyone a round when you have had a little too many but it also means that you can stick to a budget.

If you only want to spend £20 then only take £20!
With Lloyds I have a thing call "save my change". So it rounds my payment to the nearest pound and it transfers the difference to my saving account :biggrin:
Original post by cpdavis
With Lloyds I have a thing call "save my change". So it rounds my payment to the nearest pound and it transfers the difference to my saving account :biggrin:

That's an awesome idea. I always do the same with cash payments too and put the pennies (up to 5p) into a money jar.
Original post by The_Jakal
That's an awesome idea. I always do the same with cash payments too and put the pennies (up to 5p) into a money jar.

I do this and have ended up saving over £70 this year.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 16
Befriend people who work in cinemas and shops. I get cinema tickets for a fraction of a price!
Broadband allowances: know your limits

When you're looking to sign up for a new broadband deal, it's easy to get caught up in how fast a connection the provider can offer you. It's all well and good having a lightning fast connection, but if you have a low monthly download limit then you're going to burn through it pretty fast.
Original post by marco_salinas
Broadband allowances: know your limits

When you're looking to sign up for a new broadband deal, it's easy to get caught up in how fast a connection the provider can offer you. It's all well and good having a lightning fast connection, but if you have a low monthly download limit then you're going to burn through it pretty fast.

You also need to check the t&cs. "Unlimited" isn't really unlimited. There's normally a fair usage policy place. My phone contract says I have "unlimited texts". I actually have 3000 per month.
If you live with people, shop and cook together when you can. It's often cheaper and easier to get a large pack of something than to get lots of individual size packs. Even if you live alone, still buy bigger packets of things (works well with meat e.g. mince, sometimes chicken), break it up at home and freeze it for later in portion sizes.

Also check out local markets, visiting in the afternoons. As they get nearer the end of the day prices often drop as they try to clear their stock. I once got a weeks worth of veg for £4, and I get through a lot of veg!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending