The Student Room Group

Money saving tips

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Markets are brilliant for fruit and veg, i got 15 bananas for £1.

Buy all toiletries from the pound shop (there still the branded stuff).
Thanks for share this tips..........
Reply 22
Assess your income and expenditure and create a budget. That way you’ll be less likely to spend more than you can afford and more likely to stay within your means.

Best Regard
Vishal Chadha
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 23
so who's applied for student loan?

Use TopCashBack (or another such site) when buying online to get some pennies back :smile: Got back around £15 or more in cash-back over the past year.
I also use MySupermarket to compare prices between ASDA/Tescos etc. Though recently it has been going a bit 'wobbly' for me :s-smilie:
When you go out to dinner, drink tap water. It's sound silly but when it all adds up, depending on how often you eat out, you could save around £10+ a month.
Why you don't go to invest your money in stock market on gold because this is very good way to save and earn money.
Reply 27
Original post by garryjohn258
Why you don't go to invest your money in stock market on gold because this is very good way to save and earn money.

Gold is pretty close to its peak, now is not a good time to buy gold.
Original post by Suzanne123
When you go out to dinner, drink tap water. It's sound silly but when it all adds up, depending on how often you eat out, you could save around £10+ a month.

Surely a better idea would be not to go out to dinner and to do your own cooking and cook in bulk, freezing meals in containers?
Reply 29
If you give me your bank account details I will keep it safely away for you.
Reply 30
If you're a student, keep an eye out for whatever student discounts offered around.
Original post by Wilfred Little
Surely a better idea would be not to go out to dinner and to do your own cooking and cook in bulk, freezing meals in containers?

Yes, unless you are invited to a birthday meal or something and you have to attend.
Reply 32
It really frustrates me when i hear that companies are offering "deals" or "offers". All it says to me is that they were charging too much in the first place. 'Sales' used to be a legitimate way of selling surplus stock - now they are just built into the marketing calendar of stores, who obviously overcharge initially so that they can discount later. The sad fact is though, we all fall it!
Reply 33
Original post by hannahamelia
Start doing your weekly shop in ALDI, you can get almost everything you would in large supermarkets like TESCO but for a margin of the price. And contrary to popular belief, the food/meat/fruits are incredible quality :smile:

Without a doubt the best advice on here.

If shopping online check hotukdeals.com for discounts to stuff.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 34
Original post by willred
It really frustrates me when i hear that companies are offering "deals" or "offers". All it says to me is that they were charging too much in the first place. 'Sales' used to be a legitimate way of selling surplus stock - now they are just built into the marketing calendar of stores, who obviously overcharge initially so that they can discount later. The sad fact is though, we all fall it!

It's all about the business approach in the modern world whereby products change every year or so.

Back in the late 1800's the USA actually went through a high growth period but suffered continued deflation (price falls) simply because for the first time we were able to produce much more than anybody needed. That's all changed now though because to maximise profit we produce closer to what we need and also because products are changed each year (especially tech).
I second TopCashback!If you buy online definitely join that. Getting other people to join it gets you extra money as well.
Buy non-perishable foodstuffs in bulk. A family size double concentrated bottle of squash will last a long time and work out much cheaper than paying £1 or more for some from the local shop.
Lentils!I know they're stereotypically student food, but if you cook them right-they're nice!Ace for making curries,chillis, dips, soup, and they're very cheap especially if you buy yourself a huge bag.They cook quickly and don't need any pre-soaking.
Quit the gym membership and run outside. It often burns more calories than running on a treadmill and it's free.
Walk instead of taking the bus-it incorporates exercise into your daily routine as well as saving money.
If you buy booze , find someone who deals in it and buy off them. EG I know a guy who gets vodka bottles but only sells in 6 packs. It works out about £6 a bottle as opposed to cheapest I've found it in shops is £9.He sells wine too , works out about £2.50 a bottle. There will be someone near you who does this.
Ditch the expensive skin care products. I use castor oil, coconut oil,soybean oil. To moisturise and to remove make up-even regular vegetable oil works to remove eye make up, it's a bit greasy but every trace is gone easily and then use a babywipe to get the smudges off.
All I can think of for now!
Reply 36
Original post by hannahamelia
Start doing your weekly shop in ALDI, you can get almost everything you would in large supermarkets like TESCO but for a margin ofأرباح the price. And contrary to popular belief, the food/meat/fruits are incredible quality :smile:

nice idea :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
One should make a proper plan of investment and should make a habit of following that plan strictly. Spending the money according to that plan can be best way of saving money.
Buy supermarket's own brand EVERYTHING. Only buy branded stuff if it's on offer. Aim for less than £1.50 per item (barring big, irregular buys like washing powder or whatever).

I've been saving for a house and buying own-brand is a great way to save money. We try to get our shopping bill at £1 per item on average (there's a little bit at the bottom of the receipt that tells you how many items you bought).
Original post by Fjarskafinn
Buy supermarket's own brand EVERYTHING.

A lot of supermarket down brand stuff (even the really cheap stuff) is really nice. One thing I won't buy the cheap version of is washing up liquid. Fairy washing up liquid is about £1 and lasts ages.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending