The Student Room Group

feminism (wooooo!)

Hi :smile:

I was wondering if any of you guys have suggestions of short stories or poems that I can use as I want to do feminism for my coursework?

I have a few ideas but it would be good to hear other recommendations :smile:
thaanks :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman
The Awakening by Kate Chopin.

They're more novella's than short stories.

The Bloody Chamber by Angela Carter has some good short stories in it though :smile:
Virginia Woolf's A Room of One's Own, Jane Eyre, Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale, Thomas Hardy's Tess of the d'Ubervilles, Margaret Cavendish's The Blazing World, for non-fiction Caitlin Moran's How to be a Woman (or just generally for fun and thought-provoking reading really), a great deal of Sylvia Plath's body of work but especially "The Applicant".
Hope that helps! Also yay, someone else interested in feminism especially in literature! :biggrin:

EDIT: oops, sorry, just saw you wanted short stories and poems really... all the works listed are novels apart from Plath, sorry about that! But they do make for interesting reads anyway :smile:

I haven't read it, but Plath's The Bell Jar is a pretty short story, and she tends to be quite a feminist, so perhaps that might work as well.
(edited 11 years ago)
Hmmm need to know what sort of work you're doing. A level? Uni? GCSEs?

Classical feminism? Neo feminism?

I'd suggest reading The Stepford Wives, it's fast becoming a forgotten classic, thanks to the awful, awful film.
Original post by RH_17
Hi :smile:

I was wandering if any of you guys have suggestions...

Where exactly were you wandering?
Reply 5
thanks for the suggestions guys :smile:
i've studied the yellow wallpaper so can't do that or the short stories in bloody chamber but thank you!

I'm doing A-Levels :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by dominicjohnson
Where exactly were you wandering?

Oooops! Thank you for that :smile:
Original post by RH_17
Oooops! Thank you for that :smile:

Haha sorry, I have a need to correct spelling lol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending