The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

St Benet's Hall (Oxford) Students and Applicants

Hi there!

I am currently waiting on an offer/rejection from Oxford, but I was reallocated to St Benets. I did okay in the interview, but I'm now doing some thinking...

Even IF I get an offer, would it be worth going?

1. All men
2. Lots of monks/religious people/etc (Atheist/Agnostic here)
3. Doesn't have the cool postcard quadrangles or the prestige associated with other colleges, though I suppose Oxford is Oxford is Oxford.

Will these 3 points impact a lot of your uni life at oxford? I mean, are most of your social circle going to be from your college?

Thanks.
Reply 1
What're your other universities?
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 2
Original post by Economi
What're your other universities?

UCL - ESPS (Econ, Politics and German)
Durham Combined Social Sciences (PPE with business)
Warwick PPE
LSE Politics & philosophy

Already got offers from UCL and Durham
Reply 3
Don't worry about it. I'm at Oxford and have heard good things about Benet's hall. You get a really close knit community and tight friendships and you get to invite people from other colleges around. Uni is what you make of it.
Reply 4
Sorry, I don't know much about the college. However, from an uninformed perspective as you said "Oxford is Oxford is Oxford".

Good luck.
Reply 5
Original post by lifeisgood.
Hi there!

I am currently waiting on an offer/rejection from Oxford, but I was reallocated to St Benets. I did okay in the interview, but I'm now doing some thinking...

1. All men
3. Doesn't have the cool postcard quadrangles or the prestige associated with other colleges, though I suppose Oxford is Oxford is Oxford.

Will these 3 points impact a lot of your uni life at oxford? I mean, are most of your social circle going to be from your college?

Thanks.

Well this would be my view. It will be different from the traditional college experience:

1) yes, but you're academic life isn't going to just be in college. depending on you're subject it is likely that you will have a least some out of seminars/tutorials/labs with people from other colleges. Some of whom may be girls. and i'll come to the social side in a bit.
2) yes, but just because you're not religious doesn't mean they won't be welcoming and you might not be the only atheist reallocated there.
3) if you want a fix of old buildings etc you just have to stroll through the city centre! and academic and social life may take you into other colleges. Plus even the prettiest colleges often farm students out to pretty modern/sometimes ugly modern buildings in 2nd year.

social life - some people do have a social life focused such on college but you don't have to. you will meet people from other colleges through your course, there are university clubs (lots of them) and st benets aren't totally cut off from the university - for instance they take part in rowing and have a shared boathouse (I think).

So, if you get an offer and the course is right for you I would think carefully before writing it of (but equally if you really hate the idea don't be guilt tripped into going! maybe try and get in contact with existing students/go for a visit etc)
Reply 6
Original post by lifeisgood.
Hi there!

1. All men

Thanks.

There seems to be quite a lot of interaction with other colleges at St Benets. I'm at Worcester and I know a couple of the Benets people play in the Worcester football team. Also, I doubt the monks/religious people thing will have any impact on you whatsoever.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending