The Student Room Group

Higher Maths 2012-2013 : Discussion and Help Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Reece:)
I'm sure you are good at maths :biggrin:! Awww you wouldn't set them on the wrong tracks, I'm sure you'll remember most of higher :biggrin:

Maths isn't exactly that hard to forget :tongue: but... I was helping a second year, and I forgot about the z thing, with the angles.. :tongue:
Reply 21
Original post by TheFOMaster
Maths isn't exactly that hard to forget :tongue: but... I was helping a second year, and I forgot about the z thing, with the angles.. :tongue:

Hahaha that's an easy thing to forget though! I probably would forget that ;P
Original post by TheFOMaster

When I was in the junior years, I was always unsure of why the Z thing was true, teachers never explained it. You reminded me of that lack of understanding, I thought about it, and it became immediately obvious why it was true. Weird to see how your thinking has developed over time...
Reply 23
Thank you for this help o.o
I feel utterly lost with Higher maths :frown:
I got 68 % in my first test, 58 in my second :frown:

I don't really know what to do XD
But in hoping for atleast a B, but an A would stand me in much better stead but I fear it is impossible.

Hopefully these resources do help :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
If you use this thread properly then it'll start to make sense.
A lot of the time things start to click at exam time but the sooner the better

Posted from TSR Mobile
hi i need help with paper 1 non calculator question 12,17,18 and 20
maths.nairnacademy.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Practice-Prelim-5.pdf

thanks in advance
Reply 26
Original post by lovecupcakes
hi i need help with paper 1 non calculator question 12,17,18 and 20
maths.nairnacademy.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Practice-Prelim-5.pdf

thanks in advance

Hey!

For Q12, point A is at a minimum turning point, so how would you find the turning points of a curve?

For Q17 try factorising the bottom line and see what happens, you'll need to complete the square :smile:

For Q18 the rocket will hit a maximum, so you will just do the question as if it was a stationary points question:smile:

And for Q20, try solving the equations simultaneously, remembering if you take the square root of a root, the answer can be positive and negative!

Hope this helps!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Hey!

For Q12, point A is at a minimum turning point, so how would you find the turning points of a curve?

For Q17 try factorising the bottom line and see what happens, you'll need to complete the square :smile:

For Q18 the rocket will hit a maximum, so you will just do the question as if it was a stationary points question:smile:

And for Q20, try solving the equations simultaneously, remembering if you take the square root of a root, the answer can be positive and negative!

Hope this helps!

Thank you so much!!! I understand it now :smile:
Reply 28
Thank you so much!!! I understand it now :smile:

No bother:smile: any questions just ask!

Reply 29
Hi was needing some help on a question on the straight line topic, I don't know which past papers there from as there very old.

6) The diagram shows a rhombus PQRS with its diagonals PR and QS.

PR has the equation y=2x-2.
Q has the coordinates (-2,4)

a) i) Find the equation of the diagonal QS.
(ii) Find the coordinates of T, the point of intersection of PR and QS.

b) R is the point (5,8). Write down the coordinates of P.

Please help, and Thanks in advance if anyone helps!
Original post by azzykaii
Hi was needing some help on a question on the straight line topic, I don't know which past papers there from as there very old.

6) The diagram shows a rhombus PQRS with its diagonals PR and QS.

PR has the equation y=2x-2.
Q has the coordinates (-2,4)

a) i) Find the equation of the diagonal QS.
(ii) Find the coordinates of T, the point of intersection of PR and QS.

b) R is the point (5,8). Write down the coordinates of P.

Please help, and Thanks in advance if anyone helps!

Hi, azzy. I've moved your question into this thread, and I'm going to have to ask you to keep any future questions in this thread, please! It just prevents the forum from getting cluttered up whenever someone needs help with a new question, and I can promise you that people will still see your question even if it's put in here. :smile:

For future reference, is much easier for us to help you if you post working you've already done, or can explain what bits you find hard. It's not very helpful if we just give you the solutions to the question!

6ai. You've already got the equation of PR, and if you look at the line QS, you can see that QS is perpendicular to PR (which you have the gradient for!), right? What do you know about the gradients of a perpendicular line?

And remember that the equation of a straight line is in the form of y = mx + c. They've given you point Q (-2,4), so you already have a y and an x! Can you find m and c based on what I've told you above?

ii. Remember that at a point of intersection the two lines are equal to each other (because they're at the same point, of course they'll be equal!) so you set 2x - 2 = QS (the equation of line QS that you find in part ai.) Do you understand why I'm setting them equal to each other?

For b., you've found the co-ordinates of T in aii., the point of intersection, and they've given you point R. Since this is a rhombus, you can tell that the length of RT is equal to the length of TP . Remember your distance formula?

D=(x2x1)2+(y2y1)2 D = \sqrt{(x_2 - x_1)^2 + (y_2 - y_1)^2}. This is a tricky formula to remember because of the differing minus and pluses, but it becomes SUPER easy when you realise that it's just derived directly from Pythagoras' theorem! There's a video showing the proof here.

Anyway, you can calculate the distance between R and T, because you have both points. And you know the distance between T and P is equal to the distance between R and T, can you solve it from here?
Reply 31
Hi needing help with http://maths.nairnacademy.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Practice-Prelim-4.pdf
paper 2 question 5 b) finding the value of b i keep getting 1 but the answer is 2 :s-smilie:?? thanks in advance

Hi again :smile:

I'm guessing you managed to work out that point P is (1,0)? We shall go from here:

The question states A=ab(3x26x+3)dx\displaystyle A=\int_a^b(3x^2-6x+3)dx

Now we know that the Area(A)=1 and a=1, we can subsitute these in and continue by integrating what is there and then replacing the limits that we have (b and 1) this will allow you to form polynomial in b which you can then factorise and find your answer.

I have left the answer in a spoiler for you if you get stuck, hope this helps :smile:

Spoiler

Reply 32
Hi, I was wondering if anyone can help me with the Higher maths SQP 2007 paper 2. Its question 7?
Any help will be much appreciated!
Original post by anniexoxo
Hi, I was wondering if anyone can help me with the Higher maths SQP 2007 paper 2. Its question 7?
Any help will be much appreciated!

Hi Annie, it's a lot easier for us to help you if you can actually include a link to a paper or write out a question for us. It saves us going to the effort of looking up the paper in question to give you a hand.

It's also a lot easier to help you if you post some working so we can see where you're going wrong. For all we know, you might have the first 4 marks worth correct and it'd be a waste of our time telling you what you already know!

With these triangle questions, what I always did is to just "throw Maths" at it. Work out every value that you can see you can do that might be relevant, and proceed onto the next one.

From there, I can see that you can find length CA (you have a right-angled triangle and you know the length of two sides!). From there you can find angle CBA (which is xo+xo=2xox^o + x^o = 2x^o. You have three sides of a triangle, can you work out how to get it?)

If you can't get it it from that point; we can give you more help.
(edited 11 years ago)
How do you integrate (x^4 + 1/x^4)? I got (x^5)/5 + (4x^3/4)/3 + c but i think thats wrong any help would be appreciated
Reply 35
Original post by Ninjamonkey7
How do you integrate (x^4 + 1/x^4)? I got (x^5)/5 + (4x^3/4)/3 + c but i think thats wrong any help would be appreciated

Hi there! You've integrated the first term correctly :biggrin:! For the second term, you should make sure the indice is on the top line. To do that do you remember this?

1xn=xn\displaystyle \frac{1}{x^n}=x^{-n}

Try applying this rule first and then integrating as you did the first term, hope this helps!

Hi there! You've integrated the first term correctly :biggrin:! For the second term, you should make sure the indice is on the top line. To do that do you remember this?

1xn=xn\displaystyle \frac{1}{x^n}=x^{-n}

Try applying this rule first and then integrating as you did the first term, hope this helps!

Thanks very much!
Just so I make sure
1/x^4 = x^(-4)

Then it becomes (x^(-3))/-3 ?
key to remember: integral x^n dx = 1/(n+1) * x^(n+1)+ c

first: rewrite 1/x^4 to x^(-4)
use the theory:
integral x^(-3) = 1/ (-4 + 1) * x^(-4+1)
= -1/3 * x^(-3) + c

Final answer for the second part: - 1/ (3 x^3) + c
Reply 38
Original post by Ninjamonkey7
Thanks very much!
Just so I make sure
1/x^4 = x^(-4)

Then it becomes (x^(-3))/-3 ?

Yes :biggrin:! Glad to help:smile:!

Reply 39
Thankyou very much for the help, its very much appreciated and I have understood. Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending