The Student Room Group

what's the saddest book you have read?

Scroll to see replies

The Farseer Triology by Robbin Hobb.

It is both one of the most spectacularly written and character development heavy fantasy books I have ever read.

While simultaneously being one of the most depressing series of books I have ever read, from the word Go things just get worse, until you think "It just can't get any worse for him can it?"....but it can..and it does.

I strongly recommend reading it to everyone and anyone, as a matter of fact im reading it again now..for the fourth time.
Reply 41
A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks.

Noughts and Crosses (novel series) by Malorie Blackman (followed by Knife Edge, Check Mate then Double Cross).

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher.
Original post by deedee123

Spoiler

Oh yeah! :frown:
Original post by Three Mile Sprint
The Farseer Triology by Robbin Hobb.

It is both one of the most spectacularly written and character development heavy fantasy books I have ever read.

While simultaneously being one of the most depressing series of books I have ever read, from the word Go things just get worse, until you think "It just can't get any worse for him can it?"....but it can..and it does.

I strongly recommend reading it to everyone and anyone, as a matter of fact im reading it again now..for the fourth time.

Thank you thank you!! just bought the triology - looks really good!

cheers for the recommendation!
Original post by Daniel George
Thank you thank you!! just bought the triology - looks really good!

cheers for the recommendation!

Im so sorry to here this...
Stay strong, and have happy pictures by your side.
But I hope you enjoy the books heh.

Robbin Hobb wrote three more triologys in the same Realm/Setting, in all honesty the Liveship Traders I wouldn't recommend to heavily, but her third series picks up with the main character of the Farseer Triology and is spectacular.

As for the fourth I can't comment because like you, I have used my Waterstones vouchers to buy them and wont' be reading it for a bit yet.
(edited 11 years ago)
Les Miserables and Before I Die.
I found The Lovely Bones quite sad. And, as already said, Never Let Me Go.
Original post by Goody2Shoes-x
Les Miserables and Before I Die.

Yes, this. Before I Die and Never Let Me Go are the two books that have made me cry :cry2:
Original post by Three Mile Sprint
Im so sorry to here this...
Stay strong, and have happy pictures by your side.
But I hope you enjoy the books heh.

Robbin Hobb wrote three more triologys in the same Realm/Setting, in all honesty the Liveship Traders I wouldn't recommend to heavily, but her third series picks up with the main character of the Farseer Triology and is spectacular.

As for the fourth I can't comment because like you, I have used my Waterstones vouchers to buy them and wont' be reading it for a bit yet.

I look forward to reading them! I will be strong* aha...
Of Mice and Men
The Book Thief
A Walk to Remember
P.S I Love You
The Lovely Bones
The Time Traveller's Wife.

So, so many actually...
Reply 50
Room by Emma Donoghue :frown: or like somebody else said The boy in the striped pyjamas which i read when i was 14 and cried for 5 hours straight
Reply 51
Original post by laylarose
Never Let Me Go by Kazou Ishiguro. Hands down.

Snap

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 52
Original post by GermanScientist
I found The Lovely Bones quite sad. And, as already said, Never Let Me Go.

My top two also

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 53
The Lovely Bones and Light on Snow by Anita Shreve
120 days of sodom by Marquis de Sade. Absolutely horrible but I think it's written well.
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers and Everything Is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer. Did these in English and my teacher had to give me a whole box of tissues.

Then there is The Time Traveller's Wife, The Lovely Bones and My Sister's Keeper. Read the books, watched the films and my friend and I were bawling so much, you couldn't hear the film. What a sight!!

And finally Die Leiden des jungen Werthers by Johann W. von Goethe. I did it in German and there should be an English translation. That had my ducts flowin'...

Happy Reading!! :biggrin:
One Day by David Nicholls. Not helped by the fact i have a crush on Anne Hathaway. Buckets were cried.
Tess of the D'urbevilles :frown: :cry:
I'm not much of a sad book reader, more of crime and stuff but I did read the Boy in the Striped Pyjamas which was quite very sad!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Izzyeviel
One Day by David Nicholls. Not helped by the fact i have a crush on Anne Hathaway. Buckets were cried.

Oh yes that one too! I can't believe I forgot it! I had to stop put the book down and calm down for an hour before I could carry on!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending