The Student Room Group

How to get better with reading?

This isn't very comfortable for me.

I'm studying drama this September, and I know that reading is an integral part of university life, as it's in every course; I've always struggled with reading. My sister asked to read to my nephew, and the book was for one-year-old; I struggled with reading it to him.

They started taking the mick but it did hurt deep down. How do I improve my reading? Any advice is much appreciated.
Original post by trs200101
This isn't very comfortable for me.

I'm studying drama this September, and I know that reading is an integral part of university life, as it's in every course; I've always struggled with reading. My sister asked to read to my nephew, and the book was for one-year-old; I struggled with reading it to him.

They started taking the mick but it did hurt deep down. How do I improve my reading? Any advice is much appreciated.

Struggle with reading in what way? You would need to be specific.

Are you dyslexic? Do you have problems interpreting words?
If it's a handicap, there are usually university support services that would help you with reading.

If you have a disability, them taking the mick is wrong on multiple levels.

If you have problems keeping up with the reading, I also have speed reading resources to recommend as well.
Reply 2
What I've mainly notice is that if I'm reading something like a book for instance, if I start a new page I read the first line then I find myself reading a different line that's further down the page. I end up getting lost as to where I was and when this happens I struggle with understanding the plot. I don't know why this happens.

I did have a zoom meeting with a member of staff and I told her what I struggle with, she told me I meet the criteria for dyspraxia but need to get diagnosed. I booked a referral appointment with my GP to speak about it, she agreed and has referred me to get tested for dyspraxia. I also spoke about dyslexia she prefers me to get tested for dyspraxia first.
Would using something like a ruler help,
You could use either a physical one or a screen ruler which will help you keep track of which line you are on
There's also software that will read the text to you which might also help at university
Reply 4
Hi there, i was diagnosed with dyslexia and some of the things that really helped me with reading and boosted my confidence, was comics/graphic novels and audio books.
The comics and graphic novels are good as there is not a lot of description to read and you are mostly just reading small amounts of dialogue and you don't have to read loads to be able to understand the plot. It's a good way to start with easy plots and simple dialogue.
Audio books are also great especially if you read along with the actual book. What I did was I would listen to the audio book whilst reading a copy of the book as it is easier to follow and you have to stay at the pace of the recording.
If you are diagnosed with dyslexia they will probably test to see if you read better with coloured overlays which can really help!
Obviously everyone is different and it might take some time to find what works for you but don't worry as it can take a while but I'm sure your uni will have lots of support which you should really use if given the opportunity!
Hope this makes sense and good luck! :smile:
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 5
I believe that the more you read, the more comfortable and confident you will become. Start with reading materials that interest you and gradually work your way up to more challenging texts. And if you find that you get overwhelmed by longer texts, try breaking them down into smaller sections and reading one section at a time. Fightting, I hop you will improve earrly.
Reply 6
Thanks all, I will try all methods mentioned. I did apply for DSA they put read and write software on my laptop. Although this is useful I would prefer to overcome my struggles with reading and be able to read without any. I'm going to try and use all methods mentioned and find what's best for me to help me overcome.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending