The Student Room Group

Cambridge university masterclasses (year 12)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Frankster
Hi

You should get an email with an ID number. And closer to the date I think they'll email you more information. Just print that email out, and I think you're good to go! :smile:

Thank you for your reply. I'm sorry if I sounded rude!
Reply 21
Original post by PardonMyFrench96
Thank you for your reply. I'm sorry if I sounded rude!

Np. And I didn't think you were rude at all. :smile:
Reply 22
Original post by LeeGend
Sure, I'm not sure how much they vary but I can speak for the English one. It's worth noting here that they may not be based at the actual department - mine last year was at the Engineering Department. On arrival there were plenty of guide type people and we were shown into a small lecture theatre and I just started chatting with neighbours. The english taster lectures themselves consisted of a couple of speakers (I think) getting us to think about a whole range of extracts we were given. Topics like comparing symbolism and metaphor across some poetry. Lunch was amazing! Brown paper bag style, I had a very nice chicken baguette :wink: Back into a lecture after lunch. If I can remember we were also given a presentation about applying to Oxbridge and there was a Q&A session. That was the day, very informal but well worth the money!

I'm going to the English masterclass, which is this Saturday as it happens...would you suggest that there's any preparation you need to do for it, however small? Is anyone else on here going too?!
Reply 23
I'm going to the Genetics and Biochemistry masterclass on the 9th March... anyone else going?

It's in the Mill Lane Lecture Rooms, and although I've been to Cambridge before and I've seen where it is on a map, I'm not really sure which is the best way to get there from the train station. I'm assuming using the bus? Tips would be appreciated! xD My tip: If you're getting a train from London (or any other stations on that line, I suppose) ask for PlusBus. This means that you can use your ticket to get into the centre of Cambridge, and I'm assuming on any other bus services as well.

Also, where do we go when we get there? Are there signs or something? I'm just kind of nervous about it since I'm not used to travelling on my own... :colondollar:

Aaaaalso (I'm asking a lot of questions, aren't I?) are we supposed to have received an ID number or something? I've found an 'order reference' in one of the emails but I don't think that that's it, and I just got the email with directions and stuff today.

I have so many more questions, but I think that I can hold them in. xD
Original post by Kathiye
I'm going to the Genetics and Biochemistry masterclass on the 9th March... anyone else going?

It's in the Mill Lane Lecture Rooms, and although I've been to Cambridge before and I've seen where it is on a map, I'm not really sure which is the best way to get there from the train station. I'm assuming using the bus? Tips would be appreciated! xD My tip: If you're getting a train from London (or any other stations on that line, I suppose) ask for PlusBus. This means that you can use your ticket to get into the centre of Cambridge, and I'm assuming on any other bus services as well.

Also, where do we go when we get there? Are there signs or something? I'm just kind of nervous about it since I'm not used to travelling on my own... :colondollar:

Aaaaalso (I'm asking a lot of questions, aren't I?) are we supposed to have received an ID number or something? I've found an 'order reference' in one of the emails but I don't think that that's it, and I just got the email with directions and stuff today.

I have so many more questions, but I think that I can hold them in. xD

Hey! I'm not going to the same one as you, I'm going to history, but it's the same day and place haha :smile: I'm not sure about the ID number either - theres the two original emails we got but I don't know if its the order reference or its something else? Sorry I can't be more help with directions, but I'm sure if you just email the person who sent your email with details, they'll be more than happy to help! When you get there I think go in through one of the two entrances on the map and I'm assuming there will be a sign-in area so you'll be able to see that, if not just ask someone around (scary haha) :smile: exciting! (But also scared that there will be a bunch of history genius people and then me all alone in a corner... :tongue: ) feel free to PM if you've any more questions (I may or may not be able to answer them haha)
Reply 25
I went to the English one yesterday which is also in Mill Lane Lecture rooms. Unfortunately I can't guide you from the train station as I drove in, but if you fimd Trumpington street continue along that until you find it (it's a small lane off of it heading to the river/backs), and Trumpington Street is also where Kings College Chapel (and I presume the college?), Trinity College and quite a few others are based, so if you get lost lots of people will be able to give you directions :smile: there'll be a sign say
Reply 26
Oops pressed the wrong button! On Mill Lane there'll be a sign saying 'Subject Masterclass' (or there was yesterday) but the lecture rooms are cery easy to find as the lane is very short, and once you're there the Cambassadora will tell you what to do ad where to go. Sorry I can't tell you where to go from the station but I hope this helps a bit :smile: x
Reply 27
Would you possibly be able to telle what the history one is like once you've been, please? I couldn't make the date but really wanted to book it :frown: x
Original post by TammyD96
Would you possibly be able to telle what the history one is like once you've been, please? I couldn't make the date but really wanted to book it :frown: x

Will do :smile:
Anyone who has already been (or will be going but happens to know!):

What information do you have to show on arrival?
Reply 30
Thank you :smile: they should have sent you booking/payment confirmation, but when I went they never actually asked for me to show it
Reply 31
Thanks everyone! :biggrin:

Last crisis moment: what was everyone wearing when you went/ do you think we're supposed to wear? o.o I'm really scared. D:
I acc just booked for the human, social and political science one, I'm hoping to study just politics or something similar so I'm a bit scared about my lack of knowledge in the other areas, either way it will be interesting and I've heard cambridge is a lovely area so (: It would be nice to have some feedback on how the other classes are (:
Reply 33
Hi!! if anyone is reading this and wants to attend or knows someone who would like to attend the history masterclass one on the 15th of march i cant make it and have booked and paid already so i would rather it goes to some use!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending