The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I did Business and Economics, which is effectively Business Studies with some economic theory thrown in. I got an A for AS General Studies and did barely any work, it was taught alongside our tutorials and we never did anything. The science coursework was the only thing that required any effort. The define cool question was just stupid, the other paper was pretty much all geography about green belts and stuff.
Reply 21
alocin
I did Business and Economics, which is effectively Business Studies with some economic theory thrown in. I got an A for AS General Studies and did barely any work, it was taught alongside our tutorials and we never did anything. The science coursework was the only thing that required any effort. The define cool question was just stupid, the other paper was pretty much all geography about green belts and stuff.

how do u revise for general studies, i just did my first exam and got an E, please help, how did u get such a good grade.?
Naz87
how do u revise for general studies, i just did my first exam and got an E, please help, how did u get such a good grade.?

You aren't supposed to revise really, unless you are sad or need it to meet an offer.
Naz87

to be honest mate i wouldn't worry, just take all 6 units at the end
DazYa12
to be honest mate i wouldn't worry, just take all 6 units at the end

The thought of revision is quite funny!

BTW: Nice poll as well... :rolleyes:
lol thanks? i gota go bono, going out to fly my R/C plane :PP
cya mate
DazYa12
lol thanks? i gota go bono, going out to fly my R/C plane :PP
cya mate

Bye honey, have a good 'un :wink:
HAHA, I just looked at the poll results and people have randomly been voting despite a glitch in the poll the guy was supposed to make.
Reply 28
I did Edexcel General Studies without going to any lessons, reading any material and didn't revise for it. I went into the exams not having a clue what sorts of questions there would be or what I would have to know for the exam - for all I knew, it could have been on absolutely anything.

I got 99/120, 45/90 and 79/90 which was a B overall. I tried hard once I got inside the exam, I admit - I didn't write bollocks like most people seem to.. I had a basic template for all my essays - introduction, for, against, conclusion, implications.. and it seemed to work fine.
Reply 29
I agree with that, if you are generally quite good at written exams then you have a headstart. But it depends on how lucky you are with the questions - I was doing A level Geography so I found the paper we had all about green belts and rural-urban migration and stuff easy. Some people came out of it saying "What's a green belt?". It's pretty much luck and a good exam technique - that you can learn.
Reply 30
James_W
I did Edexcel General Studies without going to any lessons, reading any material and didn't revise for it. I went into the exams not having a clue what sorts of questions there would be or what I would have to know for the exam - for all I knew, it could have been on absolutely anything.

I got 99/120, 45/90 and 79/90 which was a B overall. I tried hard once I got inside the exam, I admit - I didn't write bollocks like most people seem to.. I had a basic template for all my essays - introduction, for, against, conclusion, implications.. and it seemed to work fine.

what do u mean essays? u have so an essay in the exam? plkz just tell me wot sorta thing to write about, or the style, im beegin u :frown:
Reply 31
This is an example of one of the longer questions [25] on an OCR General Studies Cultural Domain paper:

You are a member of a debating society and have been asked to make a short speech, either proposing or opposing the motion: “This House believes that no good can be expected from a society that allowed Stephen Lawrence to die.”

If you choose to support the motion, you must write a speech attacking a society with such debased values.

If you choose to oppose the motion, you must write a speech defending a society that is prepared to put right manifest injustice.

You get that but you also get shorter questions on the atricle you are given, from [3] - [6] marks.

And this is one of the end essay questions:

(a) It is through what we wear that we all establish our identity.”
Briefly support or contradict this claim. [10]

(b) Describe the connection between one particular trend in pop music and what its followers wear. [40]
Reply 32
so r a lot of the marks given for expressing an opinion and being able to give evidence, u c i thought thats wot i did in the exam, but i still got an E, is there a special technique to writing ur answers, is any of the subject coursework.
plz help
thanx for that last thing by the way i think im starting to understand, can u just answer the above questions 4 me.lol.
Reply 33
Well it varies from place to place, we had OCR but we didn't do the Scientific Domain paper we did a bit of science coursework. I just always kind of made it up as I went along in the exam, thats what I do for most of them. But if doing that doesn't work for you then you need to develop your essay writing technique, learn how to plan them, etc. A study skills book or website might help you there.
Naz87
Help!!!
Im talking 3 A levels, English Lan, Art and design and general studys, i heard that universities dont accept general studys and i couldnt get in with just 2 A levels, v got my heart set on going to nothumbria university to study fashion marketing!
please help im very very worried! :eek:

i know this is kinda shifting but im in the same dilemma! im doing two A-levels plus general studies at the minute and i need 220 points to get onto my uni course! i was thinking of doing another AS level but was told its only worth 40 points! and im having a bit of a stress! i want to go to northumbria as well and i tried the website (and google, oh how i love you...) and it seems through there that a lot of the courses like psychology, geography etc dont accept it!i dont want to do them,but if they dont then the other courses wont, will they??
Reply 35
Most universities do not classify GS as a 'real' A Level. Offers are usually made along the lines of 'excluding general studies'.

The best thing to do is to look at the policies of the Unis and departments you like the look of and see what there stance is.

KR

Fx

Latest

Trending

Trending