The Student Room Group

PHYA5 ~ 20th June 2013 ~ A2 Physics

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1980
Does anyone have an 'unofficial mark scheme' for the medical physics?
Someone has kindly put up the papers on the following thread, thought I'd link it for anyone who was looking for them. :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=43379911&highlight=phya5%20june%202013
You know what? I read that last question on the core part again, thanks to these papers coming up, and I genuinely think that the "or" part isn't a major problem (which is good news for me.)

The experiment is there to determine which types of radiation are being emitted by the source. The question merely suggests two properties of the radiation that might be used to investigate it - it doesn't explicitly say "either/or"
Original post by bugsuper
You know what? I read that last question on the core part again, thanks to these papers coming up, and I genuinely think that the "or" part isn't a major problem (which is good news for me.)

The experiment is there to determine which types of radiation are being emitted by the source. The question merely suggests two properties of the radiation that might be used to investigate it - it doesn't explicitly say "either/or"

What do you mean, it says 'The experiment described should allow you to determine how
the intensity of radiation varies with distance in air or with the thickness of suitable
absorbers.''.
If it says should, surely it means, it has to be the geiger tube one, which is the only one that lets you work out intensity in air and thickness of absorbers. So the ionisation chamber may do it, but it won't do the absorption thing, magnetic fields and cloud chamber won't do either of those things so clearly AQA isn't asking you to describe those experiments.
The experiment I described used both properties - you can use a geiger counter to work out how the intensity of radiation varies with distance in air, as well, just by moving it closer / further from the source.

What I'm saying is, I think they want you to describe a Geiger counter experiment that takes into account both different properties - range in air and penetrative power

But I might be wrong, it's just the idea I got from the question's wording
The experiment I described used both properties - you can use a geiger counter to work out how the intensity of radiation varies with distance in air, as well, just by moving it closer / further from the source.

What I'm saying is, I think they want you to describe a Geiger counter experiment that takes into account both different properties - range in air and penetrative power

But I might be wrong, it's just the idea I got from the question's wording

yeah i agree it was a geiger counter one with absorbers and no absorbers
Original post by jarasta
yeah i agree it was a geiger counter one with absorbers and no absorbers

Yeah, that's what I described. I don't see how you can really be sure about the type of radiation with only one method.
Reply 1987
Yeah, that's what I described. I don't see how you can really be sure about the type of radiation with only one method.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this too!! :biggrin:

whoa he used the reply button!

well with the range on, if you got readings beyond 1m, lets say 2m to be safe, you could be pretty sure its gamma. Like wise the absorption one if you had reading from relatively thin lead you could be sure its gamma,the probability of detecting anything would be very low I imagine.
Original post by jarasta
whoa he used the reply button!

well with the range on, if you got readings beyond 1m, lets say 2m to be safe, you could be pretty sure its gamma. Like wise the absorption one if you had reading from relatively thin lead you could be sure its gamma,the probability of detecting anything would be very low I imagine.

You lot are worrying about no reason. Safety, absorbers and equipment. I think expanding on each point would give 2 marks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cooldudeman
You lot are worrying about no reason. Safety, absorbers and equipment. I think expanding on each point would give 2 marks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

2 marks per point i hope you mean :wink:. Id like at-least 108ums on this, hence the nervousness!
Can't believe you guys are still fussing about the exam!
Original post by Pinkhead

I HAVEN'T SLEPT SINCE THE 20TH JUNE

no, that's a joke, if that was true I would be dead
Original post by Pinkhead
very important exams and waaheeey its pinkhead! I remember you from Unit 4 in January.
Also nothing better to do.
A month hasn't yet passed since we did this exam and yet it feels like months ago
apparently teachers will have markschemes to all AQA exams today
Original post by jarasta
apparently teachers will have markschemes to all AQA exams today

Have any of your teachers got them?
Original post by david2457
Have any of your teachers got them?

I didn't want them so I didn't ask, but I imagine they do. Don't yours?
Original post by jarasta
I didn't want them so I didn't ask, but I imagine they do. Don't yours?

nope
Dont they release mark schemes the day before results day?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending