The Student Room Group

OCR Physics Unit 2 - G482 - (June Exams Preparation)

Scroll to see replies

Hi guys

G482 Q1C(i)

Help with drawing the circuit please? :smile:
What have the grade boundaries been like for this Unit for a A or B throughout the years?
Original post by Liberty.
What have the grade boundaries been like for this Unit for a A or B throughout the years?

I did this a while ago to keep track :smile:
G482 Jan '10 Q7b(ii)

Help please! Mark scheme isn't helping...
Could someone help me out with the significant figures and rounding in this question. part1.PNG For 1)b) ii) To calculate the resistance i used P=V^2/R , rearranged to give R= V^2/P and I just subbed in the values from the information they gave at the top of the page (230V,40W bulb). The answer I got was 1322 which I had to round to 1300 However the mark scheme uses R=V/I but it also says in the box next to it: accept 1322. Why does it accept 1322 and not my answer if this is the wrong amount of significant figures? Here is the mark scheme bit: part 2.PNG
Original post by scientific222
Could someone help me out with the significant figures and rounding in this question. part1.PNG For 1)b) ii) To calculate the resistance i used P=V^2/R , rearranged to give R= V^2/P and I just subbed in the values from the information they gave at the top of the page (230V,40W bulb). The answer I got was 1322 which I had to round to 1300 However the mark scheme uses R=V/I but it also says in the box next to it: accept 1322. Why does it accept 1322 and not my answer if this is the wrong amount of significant figures? Here is the mark scheme bit: part 2.PNG

If the question gives values to two sig figs always give your answer to two sig figs
I've ran out of past papers, anyone got any more questions?
Original post by Kloe95
I did this a while ago to keep track :smile:

You are brilliant sir, thank you. :chaplin:
Original post by motivatedshroom
If the question gives values to two sig figs always give your answer to two sig figs

I did, the mark scheme is not accepting my 2 sig fig answer, its accepting the 4 sig fig one!
Reply 189
guys somebody make a revision list of all the experiments / things we need to know for long question answers!
Just gone through this whole thread and found a lot of useful stuff, thanks everyone!

Original post by Joseph-
guys somebody make a revision list of all the experiments / things we need to know for long question answers!

As someone posted the main experiments are 'Photoelectric Effect, Electron Diffraction, Young's Double Slit, Light Polarisation and Wave Superposition'. I'll try and go through past papers and use the written answers provided by my teacher for all the past papers to get the written experiments for full marks!
Ive done 2 papers and I cant seem to get higher than 85/100 ... Theres always some theory on electricity or waves that i make mistakes on
Original post by Brownie12335
G482 Jan '10 Q7b(ii)

Help please! Mark scheme isn't helping...

Basically in the question in part A) it tells you how many photons are emitted which was 3.2x10^15 i believe. Now this question says only 20% of the photons cause ELECTRONS to be emitted. Find 20% of 3.2x10^15 and thats the number of electrons that are emitted per second. Now, the charge in one second is the same as the current. you know the charge of 1 electron is 1.6x10^-19 so work out the charge given by all the electrons are emitted to do this you multiply the number of electrons emitted by the charge of 1 electron. This gives you the charge per second as therefore the current.
Reply 193
Could somebody explain how to do Q1c(i), what does it mean by potential divider I thought it was variable resistor, and Q1d(ii). Also for Q2b(i2) why do we minus and not add? And how do you do Q2c(iii) For june 2009 G482 paper?
(edited 10 years ago)
I am getting constant C grades, I just can't seem to get circuits and electricity into my head properly! Exam is so close :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 195
Original post by Loiks94
Could somebody explain how to do Q1c(i), what does it mean by potential divider I thought it was variable resistor, and Q1d(ii). Also for Q2b(i2) why do we minus and not add? And how do you do Q2c(iii) For june 2009 G482 paper?

1ci) Has to be a potential divider circuit, where you have a variable power source as you need to change voltage. A variable resistor doesn't change the source voltage, only the voltage across the component.
cii) Basically a straight, diagonal line upwards which starts at 10 ohms on the y axis. This is because the question says that at room temperature the resistance is 10 ohms, meaning that when current is 0, resistance is still 10 ohms.

2b i2) I have no idea sorry :frown: (I made the same mistake)

2ciii) You already worked out charge in Cii). energy = Charge x Voltage (from E=ItV, Q=It). Sub in values, use 14 as Voltage.
Hope this helps :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 196
Original post by scientific222
I did, the mark scheme is not accepting my 2 sig fig answer, its accepting the 4 sig fig one!

You would get the mark for it, but I am always told give answers to 3sf to be safe
Reply 197
Original post by SmallMan
1ci) Has to be a potential divider circuit, where you have a variable power source as you need to change voltage. A variable resistor doesn't change the source voltage, only the voltage across the component.
cii) Basically a straight, diagonal line upwards which starts at 10 ohms on the y axis. This is because the question says that at room temperature the resistance is 10 ohms, meaning that when current is 0, resistance is still 10 ohms.

2ciii) You already worked out charge in Cii). energy = Charge x Voltage (from E=ItV, Q=It). Sub in values, use 14 as Voltage.

Thanks, Q1d(ii)? How do you get the current?
Original post by SmallMan

How do you draw a circuit to show a variable power source? and a potential divider circuit in general? cheers.
Reply 199
How do you work out the energy of a single photon of UV radiation?

I don't understand the part where its saying work out the energy of the single photon, this is a question out of the orange revision guide for OCR

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending