The Student Room Group

Exeter or SOAS?

I have applied for 'Anthropology and Global Sustainability' at Exeter and 'Anthropology and International Development' at SOAS (School of Oriental and African Studies in London). I am equally interested in both courses and from what I can tell so far, both areas are somewhere I would enjoy being. At the moment I would say I'm leaning towards SOAS because of it's location and I feel the course might be more suitable for what I would like to do in the future, however I'm still finding it difficult to make a definite choice between the two, and although I have a while before I need to decide I would love to hear from anyone who has an opinion on either/ both of the universities and whether there is anything more I should think about in making my choice? Cheers!
Studying in London would be a very different experience than studying at Exeter.

Exeter is a smaller Campus Uni, self-contained, easy to get around with most 1st Years living on Campus. On the other hand, London Uni is massive, most students live 'out' and therefore there isnt the same sense of community.

How confident are you? Are you the sort who needs to make friends to 'belong' and could feel isolated in the 'bigness' of London? Would Exeter feel more comforting and reassuring? Or does the 'being in London' but outweigh that?
Reply 2
Original post by ruthgardiner
I have applied for 'Anthropology and Global Sustainability' at Exeter and 'Anthropology and International Development' at SOAS (School of Oriental and African Studies in London). I am equally interested in both courses and from what I can tell so far, both areas are somewhere I would enjoy being. At the moment I would say I'm leaning towards SOAS because of it's location and I feel the course might be more suitable for what I would like to do in the future, however I'm still finding it difficult to make a definite choice between the two, and although I have a while before I need to decide I would love to hear from anyone who has an opinion on either/ both of the universities and whether there is anything more I should think about in making my choice? Cheers!

I know SOAS is supposed to be quite left wing and politically active, something that may or may not appeal to you.
Reply 3
Original post by jelly1000
I know SOAS is supposed to be quite left wing and politically active, something that may or may not appeal to you.

I think that would suit me fine. However I've read post after post of people complaining about it for other reasons and many people saying that they have dropped out... Perhaps this is the same for many universities though I don't know :s-smilie:
SOAS also tends to accept a very large number of overseas students (for obvious reasons). This can be off putting in terms of 'making friends' - ie. many (not all) such students tend to go around with other overseas students, and dont necessarily integrate with British students that much. Yes, this may be a generalization but it is another factor in the 'feeling isolated in London' factor that I suspect wouldnt be so much of an issue at Exeter.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending