The Student Room Group

Law Universities UK

Im applying for uni this fall to the uk to study law and im trying to make the best and safest choices for universities. I want to apply to "elite" ones like Oxford and UCL but also have 1-2 safe options that don't have such high requirements (ie: Its easy to get accepted) but are also great regarding "quality of education" etc. Anyone has any recommendations for unis I should look into??
Original post by bg112
Im applying for uni this fall to the uk to study law and im trying to make the best and safest choices for universities. I want to apply to "elite" ones like Oxford and UCL but also have 1-2 safe options that don't have such high requirements (ie: Its easy to get accepted) but are also great regarding "quality of education" etc. Anyone has any recommendations for unis I should look into??

That depends on your academic credentials, your personal statement, references and other experiences that make you stand out on your application, not to mention your interview skills (if required).

If you are applying for the likes of Oxford and UCL I assume your application is full of A’s, A*’s, or equivalent, as well as a strong background in all other areas. If this is the case then I would recommend considering perhaps some lower ranked but still great universities like University of Exeter, University of Manchester, University of Bristol etc. You would have to look into this yourself but if Oxford is your goal then this tier of university should be easily attainable for you.

You should conduct your own research into universities to find ones that will best suit you. Assuming you’re an international applicant, try to look at the universities entry requirements, in the UK, unless the university is extremely prestigious, your chances of acceptance (so long as you have the entry requirements listed) are fairly strong.
Reply 2
Original post by Eddiecooper
That depends on your academic credentials, your personal statement, references and other experiences that make you stand out on your application, not to mention your interview skills (if required).

If you are applying for the likes of Oxford and UCL I assume your application is full of A’s, A*’s, or equivalent, as well as a strong background in all other areas. If this is the case then I would recommend considering perhaps some lower ranked but still great universities like University of Exeter, University of Manchester, University of Bristol etc. You would have to look into this yourself but if Oxford is your goal then this tier of university should be easily attainable for you.

You should conduct your own research into universities to find ones that will best suit you. Assuming you’re an international applicant, try to look at the universities entry requirements, in the UK, unless the university is extremely prestigious, your chances of acceptance (so long as you have the entry requirements listed) are fairly strong.

Thanks alot for this detailed response this really helps!! Im doing the IB so I still don't have my grades, only predicted. And looking at this year's grade boundaries, people scored much lower than their predicted so that is why im mainly worried about grades. Ill look into more universities such as University of Exeter bc multiple ppl have mentioned it to me.
Also what do you think about Brunel? is it a good uni for law? Thanks again.
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by bg112

SOAS, Southampton, Exeter, and Liverpool might be worth considering. All are one or two grades below A*AA (which is the standard for many law courses) and are generally well regarded in the field I gather.
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
SOAS, Southampton, Exeter, and Liverpool might be worth considering. All are one or two grades below A*AA (which is the standard for many law courses) and are generally well regarded in the field I gather.

thanks alot!! ill look into them.
Original post by bg112
Thanks alot for this detailed response this really helps!! Im doing the IB so I still don't have my grades, only predicted. And looking at this year's grade boundaries, people scored much lower than their predicted so that is why im mainly worried about grades. Ill look into more universities such as University of Exeter bc multiple ppl have mentioned it to me.
Also what do you think about Brunel? is it a good uni for law? Thanks again.

No problem at all.

Personally, I’ve never heard much about Brunel and never looked into it myself. It ranks far lower than the likes of Oxford and UCL (at around the 50th in the UK mark for law according to the complete university guide). Being In London living costs will also be considerably higher, something to consider in your application process.

Look into university rankings overall as well as more focused law rankings. Slightly lower down the list at around the 20 mark is where it usually becomes easier to get accepted so consider some of these universities as your “insurance” choices (though you should still look into those universities and look at their IB entry requirements).

Overall, I’d say to go with one university you’re almost guaranteed acceptance to (Brunel could be this choice for you if you like the look of it) and the a couple which are likely, but not guaranteed. For your final choices choose some which are highly ranked and hard to get accepted such as Oxford and UCL.
Reply 6
Original post by Eddiecooper
No problem at all.

Personally, I’ve never heard much about Brunel and never looked into it myself. It ranks far lower than the likes of Oxford and UCL (at around the 50th in the UK mark for law according to the complete university guide). Being In London living costs will also be considerably higher, something to consider in your application process.

Look into university rankings overall as well as more focused law rankings. Slightly lower down the list at around the 20 mark is where it usually becomes easier to get accepted so consider some of these universities as your “insurance” choices (though you should still look into those universities and look at their IB entry requirements).

Overall, I’d say to go with one university you’re almost guaranteed acceptance to (Brunel could be this choice for you if you like the look of it) and the a couple which are likely, but not guaranteed. For your final choices choose some which are highly ranked and hard to get accepted such as Oxford and UCL.

Thanks alot for your help!! ill look into universities using rank lists like u said. I think instead of Brunel im considering adding uni of Exeter to my options as it seems pretty good.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending