The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
What most atheists seem to have trouble grasping is the apparent lack of "real" proof of the existence of God.
They have never stopped to ask themselves why God would create the Earth and give us real proof of his existence.
Reply 201
Bigcnee
What most atheists seem to have trouble grasping is the apparent lack of "real" proof of the existence of God.
They have never stopped to ask themselves why God would create the Earth and give us real proof of his existence.

Well said Bigcnee! You're a wonderful human being.
Reply 202
Howard
Well said Bigcnee! You're a wonderful human being.

...and the Sun is shining. Life don't get much better.
Reply 203
Bigcnee
...and the Sun is shining. Life don't get much better.

Blessed be!
Bigcnee
Eh? Presumably you have stopped to ask yourself: Why would/wouldn't god create the earth and give us real proof of his {his? has god got a todger?] existence?
Reply 205
Weejimmie
Eh? Presumably you have stopped to ask yourself: Why would/wouldn't god create the earth and give us real proof of his {his? has god got a todger?] existence?

yeah
Bigcnee
yeah

Why [whichever applies]?
Reply 207
Weejimmie
Why [whichever applies]?

What are you on about?

Do some research, and then ask questions.
Bigcnee
What are you on about?

Do some research, and then ask questions.

This is research. What is "real" proof? How does it differ from real or "unreal" or unreal proof?
Reply 209
pal_sch
But they can, if not prove, then provide stron evidence that anyone can see and understand. Try reading "The Blind Watchmaker". It explains evolution plain and simple.

Haha, Mr Dawkins strikes again. A whole book is hardly needed to explain evolution to most people, it's a very simple concept if you think about it properly. Good book, but as I said before, Dawkins tends to use his speciality in biology to try to somehow discount God, despite being a very, very bad philosopher.
Reply 210
Howard
Scientists can't find a cure for the common cold. Nor can they prove a bumblebee is aerodynamically capable of flying.

Following scientific advise the government recently scared the living shit out of middle aged women by warning of the dangers of HRT. They now admit they were..........erm........probably wrong.........

Scientists can't even decide on a good diet. High fat, low carb say one party......zero fat say another.

Scientists don't know what's on the bottom of 70% of the ocean floor.

Scientists. My ass!

I assume you're being ironic?
Reply 211
riffraff
I assume you're being ironic?

No I'm not actually.

It seems to me that because God cannot be proved people are placing their faith in science instead. Science has become the new religion and scientists our new Gods.

I think people are ignoring the fact that science is really a spotty adolescent with a big mouth that understands very little.
Howard
No I'm not actually.

It seems to me that because God cannot be proved people are placing their faith in science instead. Science has become the new religion and scientists our new Gods.

I think people are ignoring the fact that science is really a spotty adolescent with a big mouth that understands very little.

Haha. I would tend to agree, scientists seem to present there views as the 'objective truth of the world' - when its little more than the truth of a subjective human perception.

Science in no way rules out religion and peoples faith in God, science is just exploring the world and how it works. Science will never deleve into the areas of how the world began, what consciousness is, are the mind and body divisible - to science we are just meat machines, when infact I think we are far from it.
Howard
No I'm not actually.

So you dont like science because it cant seem to prove anything, but you criticise people who dont believe in god because there is no proof he exists?!?
Golden Maverick
So you dont like science because it cant seem to prove anything, but you criticise people who dont believe in god because there is no proof he exists?!?

Like piginapoke says; It is irrational to take a stance of atheism or theism.
Reply 215
Golden Maverick

I think science has been placed on a pedestal. I don't critisise people who don't believe in God (I couldn't give two hoots what anybody believes/doesn't believe to be honest)
piginapoke
I hope you mean 'universe' and not 'world'...

On a vaguely related note, I've been thinking about 'life' and in particular, what is life, and even more to the point, is the earth itself alive (i.e. 'Gaea')? Sounds a bit 'out there', but we're always on the look out for little green men or carbon based life forms that need water, but what about a huge lump of matter with all manner of stuff going on inside it? Worthy of a thread itself or instantly dismissable?

I did mean universe!

Anyway...is the earth alive? Erm..well I suppose you couldn't prove it isn't, but it most certainly isn't in the sense that we think it is alive. Afaik it has no consicousness or can 'take a decision' etc. I would state saying that the Earth is alive is just as silly as saying a camera is able to 'see'.
piginapoke
Being alive doesn't assume consciousness though. Maybe its a massive amoeba.

Saying the earth is alive, is like saying 'rocks' are alive...I find this whole notion ridicioulous. It exhibts no characteristics that would indicate it is alive.
piginapoke
Rocks in solid form are pretty inert though, the inside of the earth isn't inert, its got liquid rock (blood) and magnetic fields (nervous system). Alright, I'll shut up.

No carry on I was enjoying it.:wink:
Reply 219
corey
Saying the earth is alive, is like saying 'rocks' are alive...I find this whole notion ridicioulous. It exhibts no characteristics that would indicate it is alive.

perhaps they are alive- just very very slow :biggrin: if they are alive- this poses some vary serious issues for vegetarians- we will soon have to stop using cut stone as it would be cruelty to rocks. making glass would likewise be considered to be wrong :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending