The Student Room Group

edexcel - knowing assessed practical marks from teacher?

I do a2 edexcel chemistry.

Last year our teacher always told us our marks for the assessed practicals, although he wasn't the kind of person to care about what he should and shouldn't be doing.

He resigned and we have a new teacher. He's not used to teaching edexcel and isn't sure if he's allowed to tell us the marks he's given us. Is he? He's not sure, he said that he might only be allowed to advise you to redo one of the topics because that makr was lower than the others. I couldn't find it on the edexcel website.
Reply 1
Our teacher tells us what we get... All 3 of my chemistry teachers have.
Reply 2
But are they meant to?
Reply 3
Original post by Clare~Bear

Last year our teacher always told us our marks for the assessed practicals, although he wasn't the kind of person to care about what he should and shouldn't be doing.

He resigned and we have a new teacher. He's not used to teaching edexcel and isn't sure if he's allowed to tell us the marks he's given us. Is he? He's not sure, he said that he might only be allowed to advise you to redo one of the topics because that makr was lower than the others. I couldn't find it on the edexcel website.

I had teachers that wouldn't let me know until results day..
Reply 4
Yes they are all subjects do for the coursework element so you know if you need to do another practical from that's strand and seeing as you need 37/38 out of 40 for an A its very important that they do as its in your best interest
Reply 5
Original post by Tbx

hhmmmm. The thing is because of the grade boundaries changing they can never be certain of what grade you're going to get. Last year our teacher told them us and based the grades on the standard 40/50/60. . . % but because the coursework is so easy, the grade boundaries are so high, so everyone that I know of went down 1 grade.
Reply 6
Original post by Tbx

basically in this case you are at an unfair disadvantage to other candidates (ie. Me ) as we can target the strands we need to improve on and get close to 40/40
Reply 7
hhmmmm. The thing is because of the grade boundaries changing they can never be certain of what grade you're going to get. Last year our teacher told them us and based the grades on the standard 40/50/60. . . % but because the coursework is so easy, the grade boundaries are so high, so everyone that I know of went down 1 grade.

Yeah its a bit of a joke to need 37/40 for an A :L...

Original post by wtpcarr
basically in this case you are at an unfair disadvantage to other candidates (ie. Me ) as we can target the strands we need to improve on and get close to 40/40

I always found them a bit hit and miss, got 39/40 in what our chemistry department claimed was the hardest set of practicals they'd ever seen. Yet I only managed 26/40 in biology....
Reply 8
Original post by wtpcarr

Precisely. That's why my current teacher said he might only be able to advice you to do one of the types of practical again, if it's lower than the rest. But he's not sure if he can tell us the actual grades. He did yesterday anyway. I got 13/14 :smile:
Reply 9

Um yes becuase you'll have to sign the submission form and you'll see what you got pre-moderation anyway... at least that's what happened with us. There is no problem with you knowing your marks after internal moderation - and it's bloody useful in figuring whether you need to do another one.

Yes, they can.
Reply 11
Original post by natninja
Um yes becuase you'll have to sign the submission form and you'll see what you got pre-moderation anyway... at least that's what happened with us. There is no problem with you knowing your marks after internal moderation - and it's bloody useful in figuring whether you need to do another one.

Of course, I'd forgotten about that. May he's forgotten that we do that or hasn't realised that we have to yet? I'll tell him.

Last year I had a teacher who hasn't taught edexcel biology before. She didn't know we were meant to have a pre-released article for the final exam until I asked when are were getting it? Most people got it about 6 week- month before the exam, we got it about 2-3 weeks before cos she had to order them!

Quick Reply

Latest