The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1280
Original post by ellie2996
Completely confused myself :s-smilie: is an exothermic reaction bond breaking or bond making???

An exothermic reaction is when the ethalpy of the products is less than that of the reactants and so energy is released. Bond breaking is endothermic and bond making is exothermic :smile:.
Could anyone help in the question attached?

I know that the formula of the isomers is C5H10, and I have found the E/Z isomerism structures of the F and G, but how do your work out the structure of H?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jimmy20002012

I know that the formula of the isomers is C5H10, and I have found the E/Z isomerism structures of the F and G, but how do your work out the structure of H?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't you attached all the groups on one carbon atom?
Reply 1284

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can't see the question but H will not have E/Z isomerism and as it is an unsymmetrical alkene the double bond must be on carbon-1.
Anyone know where I can get practise questions? I've done all the papers for this spec like I presume most people have now. The old past papers were used by my college for tests and homeworks too.
Original post by JimmyA*
I can't see the question but H will not have E/Z isomerism and as it is an unsymmetrical alkene the double bond must be on carbon-1.

Don't still get it, how do you work it out? I attached the question above :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ss2012
How do you know how many isomers C5H12 has?

just draw them all out :smile:
Reply 1288
Don't still get it, how do you work it out? I attached the question above :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

The molecule is an alkene as it's formula fits the general formula CnH2n. That means its functional group is a C-C double bond. There is only 2 places this can go, on carbon-1 or carbon-2. On carbon-2 the E/Z isomer occurs. When on carbon-1 its just a structural isomer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Couldn't it be a straight chained alkene with the double bond attached between two other carbon atoms? For example you could have pent-2-ene or pent-3-ene :smile: Sorry but i haven't seen the question

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GeneralOJB
Anyone know where I can get practise questions? I've done all the papers for this spec like I presume most people have now. The old past papers were used by my college for tests and homeworks too.

you probably haven't done all the old spec papers so go to

http://www.freeexampapers.com/

alevel>chemistry>ocr

or someone else suggested going to different exam boards as the stuffs similar :smile:
Original post by JimmyA*
The molecule is an alkene as it's formula fits the general formula CnH2n. That means its functional group is a C-C double bond. There is only 2 places this can go, on carbon-1 or carbon-2. On carbon-2 the E/Z isomer occurs. When on carbon-1 its just a structural isomer.

Okay, thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by That_Clever_Guy
Couldn't it be a straight chained alkene with the double bond attached between two other carbon atoms? For example you could have pent-2-ene or pent-3-ene :smile: Sorry but i haven't seen the question

Posted from TSR Mobile

those would be the e/z isomers, not the structural ones :smile:
Original post by needtosucceed=)
those would be the e/z isomers, not the structural ones :smile:

Hey needtosucceed could you explain the question I posted above, to do with the E/Z isomerism and structural isomerism :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1294
Original post by That_Clever_Guy

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pent-3-ene doesn't exist. Its would be pent-2-ene
Original post by JimmyA*

Of course yeh sorry :s

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JimmyA*

With that question, say they gave you a 5-7 carbon chain, how would you then work out the isomer H, or would they allow multiple answers then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1297
Has a question on protocols ever actually come up? I can't remember doing a question on.
Reply 1298
With that question, say they gave you a 5-7 carbon chain, how would you then work out the isomer H, or would they allow multiple answers then?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You wouldn't get a question like it, but if they did they would allow multiple answers
Original post by JimmyA*
Has a question on protocols ever actually come up? I can't remember doing a question on.

Well it an actual question about them, but they have asked questions about how to reduce greenhouse emissions where one of the mark scheme answers are protocols such as the Montreal and Kyoto protocol has been developed which allow countries to work together in order to reduce greenhouse emissions. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending