The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jacksgap
3 A iv I asked the same question too :tongue:

Thanks genius in advance

Oh i think he means the 2013 paper then, he said 2012 lol.

so you've got pentan-2-ol which is c5h11OH

when you dehydrate it the formula youre left with is c5h10

start by just writing the c=c

so now you've got 3 carbons left. e/z isomerism is when each carbon is bonded to 2 different groups. so your remaining c3h10 has to be split up into 2 molecules.

the only possibilty is ch3 and c2h5..so now you've got 2 hydrogens left, which are the other 2 atoms left to go on your double bond

so the E isomer would be where each carbon makes one bond to a hydrogen, and one to either the ch3 or c2h5, in opposite directions. so one hydrogen would be on the top left carbon, and the other hydrogen would be on the bottom right carbon. the z isomer would be when both the hydrogens would be on the same side, ie both on the top of each carbon atom or bottom.

the e/z isomers are both pen-2-ene

now for the third box, the normal isomer. well the only thing it can be is pent-1-ene. it cant be pent-2-ene because then you'd just be drawing a stereoisomer out again. And you can't branched either because the starting molecule is straight chained.

i hope this all makes sense!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1401
Original post by needtosucceed=)
theres no 3iv on the paper?

Page 7 3a (iv)
Alkene can form co2 + H2o???? :confused:

Sorry, my fault for being ambiguous! I did mean combustion :redface:
Reply 1403
theres no 3iv on the paper?

Looooool yes i meant the jan 13 pp
Original post by Sum786
Page 7 3a (iv)

it was the 2013 paper not the 2012 lol. anyways look above i've tried explaining it :smile:
Oh i think he means the 2013 paper then, he said 2012 lol.

now for the third box, the normal isomer. well the only thing it can be is pent-1-ene. it cant be pent-2-ene because then you'd just be drawing a stereoisomer out again. And you can't branched either because the starting molecule is straight chained.

i hope this all makes sense!

Hi what u said for the normal structural isomer can't be branched ... isn't structural isomers supposed to be chain plus the given skeletal formula is branched? so how should u draw it... if not pent-2-ene

Otherwise... it's amazing thanks for ur help!!! :smile:
Hi what u said for the normal structural isomer can't be branched ... isn't structural isomers supposed to be chain plus the given skeletal formula is branched? so how should u draw it... if not pent-2-ene

Otherwise... it's amazing thanks for ur help!!! :smile:

its pent-1-ene, so just draw the c=c, then 3 of the bonds would just be hydrogen and the other bond would be c3h7 :smile:
Reply 1407
You said Alkene.. if i am not mistaken.. :smile:

Oh sorry, you can do complete combustion of an Alkene as well! It's the same principle...

C2H4 + 3O2 -> 2CO2 + 2H2O
Reply 1408
oh i think he means the 2013 paper then, he said 2012 lol.

So you've got pentan-2-ol which is c5h11oh

when you dehydrate it the formula youre left with is c5h10

start by just writing the c=c

so now you've got 3 carbons left. E/z isomerism is when each carbon is bonded to 2 different groups. So your remaining c3h10 has to be split up into 2 molecules.

The only possibilty is ch3 and c2h5..so now you've got 2 hydrogens left, which are the other 2 atoms left to go on your double bond

so the e isomer would be where each carbon makes one bond to a hydrogen, and one to either the ch3 or c2h5, in opposite directions. So one hydrogen would be on the top left carbon, and the other hydrogen would be on the bottom right carbon. The z isomer would be when both the hydrogens would be on the same side, ie both on the top of each carbon atom or bottom.

The e/z isomers are both pen-2-ene

now for the third box, the normal isomer. Well the only thing it can be is pent-1-ene. It cant be pent-2-ene because then you'd just be drawing a stereoisomer out again. And you can't branched either because the starting molecule is straight chained.

I hope this all makes sense!

thank you :smile:
Reply 1409
Sooo need to get a good mark in this for medicine!!! anyone else hoping to apply for medicine?
its pent-1-ene, so just draw the c=c, then 3 of the bonds would just be hydrogen and the other bond would be c3h7 :smile:

sorry out of interest why is there double bond in structural isomers.. when there isn't any in the pentan-2-ol...

Sorry ... :frown:
Original post by SAS18
Sooo need to get a good mark in this for medicine!!! anyone else hoping to apply for medicine?

Me.... :redface:
Original post by Cerelaaa
Oh sorry, you can do complete combustion of an Alkene as well! It's the same principle...

C2H4 + 3O2 -> 2CO2 + 2H2O

Oh is it... i thought alkenes were for polymer production and things like that..

thanks anyways.. for clarifying. :smile:
Reply 1413
Has anyone made any predictions of what is likely to appear on the paper? Especially for the longer marker questions?
sorry out of interest why is there double bond in structural isomers.. when there isn't any in the pentan-2-ol...

Sorry ... :frown:

any compound can have structural isomerism, alkanes, alkenes, anything. as long as the isomers have the same molecular formula, any arrangement of them will give an isomer. there wouldnt be any double bonds in pentan-2-ol because its not an alkene, its an alcohol. the isomers were derived from dehydrating the alcohol (removing a h2o molecule) and therefore a double bond is created.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1415
Can someone please explain carbon capture?
Original post by cab1094
Has anyone made any predictions of what is likely to appear on the paper? Especially for the longer marker questions?

hard to say really because the typical long mark ones on ir/mass spec and mechanics came up in january, but tbh they come up in nearly every paper so I expect them to come up again.
Reply 1417
Oh is it... i thought alkenes were for polymer production and things like that..

thanks anyways.. for clarifying. :smile:

Yeah, it doesn't come up much.
Polymer production is much much more likely to come up!
wooh! finally done all the past papers, from getting 69/100 to now achieving around 80-85. hopefully the exam will be fairly do able :smile:
any compound can have structural isomerism, alkanes, alkenes, anything. as long as the isomers have the same molecular formula, any arrangement of them will give an isomer. there wouldnt be any double bonds in pentan-2-ol because its not an alkene, its an alcohol. the isomers were derived from dehydrating the alcohol (removing a h2o molecule) and therefore a double bond is created.

OH okay... THANK YOU... very much

Hope u do well in the exam this time... :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending