The Student Room Group

Who is Smarter? Nikola Tesla or Albert Einstein

Historically speaking Albert Einstein is more renowned but would Tesla be more known today if JP Morgan didn't use Tesla's findings for his own financial gain. Who do you think is smarter?

Scroll to see replies

Well, as we're on TSR, I'm going to come right out and say that neither of them had any A levels and so cannot be considered smart at all.
Reply 2
Tesla. By far.
Einstein. Practically all modern day science and research using Einstein's methods and calculations.
i would say Einstein has the edge
Tesla's inventions were revolutionary but Einstein had a different level of genius. A man that can come up with something as unintuitive and imaginative as General Relativity wins the prize in my opinion.
Reply 7
I'd say Tesla. That's not to say Einstein wasn't extremely good at what he did: a lot of his work in relativity was logical deduction from a set of postulates.
But the clincher for me is that Einstein worked in an area which would (probably) have been discovered eventually as science would have headed in a direction where some observation would have destroyed Newtonian mechanics (there were even known discrepancies in planetary orbits at the time though most people didn't take too much notice) while some of the stuff that Tesla did was so far beyond the imagination of anyone at the time, and even scientists now can't replicate his demonstration of long distance wireless energy transfer with minimal energy loss

http://home.earthlink.net/~drestinblack/wireless.htm
"Tesla spent his remaining funds on his other inventions and culminated his efforts in a major breakthrough in 1899 at Colorado Springs by transmitting 100 million volts of high-frequency electric power wirelessly over a distance of 26 miles at which he lit up a bank of 200 light bulbs and ran one electric motor! With this souped up version of his Tesla coil, Tesla claimed that only 5% of the transmitted energy was lost in the process. "

Nobody seems to have replicated it, although with 100 million volts I'm surprised the resulting current didn't blow up the 200 light bulbs.
Reply 8
tesla , he is why we have electricity today, many of his concepts are the ground works of every electrical device we have today, also if j.p morgan didn't stop funding his reserch , who knows what could have happened, we might have wireless electrical energy, free energy , no global warming, he died with his great ideas still in his head, soon afterwards the fbi ceased all his work and research, so we may never know what tesla was really up to.
Reply 9
Einstein, Tesla in my opinion is overrated in many ways.
Reply 10
Tesla seems to be the god of nerds. Einstien isn't because everybody loved him, and he got laid plenty but Tesla fits the 'outcast genius' mold perfectly and we all know that every TSR basement virgin thinks the are the next 'outcast genius' aka Tesla.
Reply 11
Both.
Reply 12
Does Sheldon( Big bang theory) not suit Tesla's personality. For instantly, his OCD of the number three and on germs? And him being classed a "nerd" The directors done it on purpose:smile: eeeek, detective Lolface :banana:
Reply 13
Tesla.
Reply 14
I don't think they're really comparable. Einstein pretty much single-handedly came up with an entirely new way to think about the universe - one whose fundamental aspects had never even occurred to anyone before. Tesla was a brilliant inventor, but most of what he came up with was based upon principles already widely known, so his inventions would have appeared eventually anyway. I'd say Tesla is more comparable to Edison, against whom Tesla would win by far.
Neither of them have any brains... I'm pretty sure they've rotted away by now.
Original post by The Socktor

For the record, that was a joke about him using the present tense. They undoubtedly were intelligent. However I hear that dead people don't to innovate much.
Reply 17
Tesla. In addition, he's one of the most underrated thinkers in history.
Reply 18
Our A2 Physics class were shown a DVD about Tesla, turns out the video pretty much just focused on Tesla being a massive ladies man, one of the biggest players to ever live... while still being an absolute genius. Carlsberg also gave Tesla free beer, and funded a lot of his work. Therefore, in my opinion, Tesla is not only a genius but an absolute ****ing legend too.
Original post by The Socktor

Hate to be pedantic, but Einstein's brain was cut up and preserved. I think pieces are still around somewhere :biggrin:

Edit: though Einstein is still without brain technically.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending