The Student Room Group

Kallisto's Saturday Question: Inventions

This poll is closed

What was the most important invention in human history?

Wheel 20%
Steam Engine 0%
Airplane of the Wright brothers 10%
Microscope 10%
Ship 0%
letterpress 20%
Computer 10%
Lightbulb 0%
Writing system 0%
Internet 30%
Automobile0%
Total votes: 10
Reply 1

I think one important inventions is Local Climate Control (Heating / Air conditioning). Throughout most of human history, we were very confined and constricted due to the climate. In Winter, society was not productive due to extreme temperatures. And there were massive dieoffs due to temperatures which included heat strokes and hypothermia.

With the invention of the heating and air conditioning systems, as a species, Homo sapiens, we have become the largest adaptable species on the planet, with humans on every side of the planet, from the freezing cold in Antartica all the way to the sweltering heat in the Sahara Desert. Humans have the highest population of any mammalian species on Earth (Other Phylum taxonomic living things beat us, like ants).

This simple climate control actually branched off to create many different technologies. One of them, are greenhouses. Enabling to grow food in the coldest climates. And in the future, I am sure this will again branch to bigger inventions like effective climate control over the whole Earth, solving uncontrolled Climate Change.

1. I admire Nikola Tesla. His inventions truly changed his entire world, even without recognition.
2. This invention was made my Malcom Purcell McLean, and it has truly changed our world in such a great way, if you don't know him, shame on you

(i'm joking, I love all of you). He invented modern cargo, or in other words, those rectangular containers that you see on large cargo ships. How did that affect us, might you ask? It made goods more available and accessible to everyone in the whole world. Before his invention, every single good had to be loaded INDIVIDUALLY!!!!. Think about it!! Hundreds of thousands of goods, had to be put on cargo ships individually!! Obviously, this old way costed A FORTUNE, this naturally decreased the amount of products circulating around the world, as businesses wanted to save money, and supermarket prices were super high! Now the invented cargo can automatically increase the number of goods shipped, in extraordinarily fast, record times, while shipping costs decreased, directly leading to the significant decrease in supermarket prices.

So if you're living in Europe, Africa, Asia, or Oceania, and you can get cocao beans with less than 5 American Dollars. Thank Malcom for the containers shipping cocao beans from Central America!

3. Yes, CRISPR, this basically edits your literal genes to cure and defeat diseases such as cancer, or make Genetically modified foods to solve food crisises. And ohhhh my god it is soooo cool. You literal either cut a gene, and literally glue another gene from something else! Or you literally type out new genes. I swear to god I'm contemplating whether I should specialize in neurology and genetics when I go to med school. Anyways, this is a big change since genetics diseases such as cystic fibrosis could literally cease to exist. About a decade ago, CRISPR was a dream. Now, scientists are testing it on humans with CAR-T Cell Therapy to edit the genes of the immune system to learn how to identify cancer cells. We also edited the genes of bacteria to produce insulin rendering diabetes mellitius a regular disease people live with instead of a ticking time bomb. Along with that, we can also and are genetically modifiying foods to make it more resilient to crop damage and insects, along with climate change. With the amount of progress CRISPR has gotten over the last few years, there is lots optimism about the potential of Genetic Editing.

Let's just hope we don't try to "improve" the human race with genetic changes, we all know what happened for all the people that read the Divergent Series by Veronica Roth.

Thanks for Reading! Have a great weekend! And Happy Thanksgiving to my fellow Canadians!
Original post by Noice_1
I think one important inventions is Local Climate Control (Heating / Air conditioning). Throughout most of human history, we were very confined and constricted due to the climate. In Winter, society was not productive due to extreme temperatures. And there were massive dieoffs due to temperatures which included heat strokes and hypothermia.

With the invention of the heating and air conditioning systems, as a species, Homo sapiens, we have become the largest adaptable species on the planet, with humans on every side of the planet, from the freezing cold in Antartica all the way to the sweltering heat in the Sahara Desert. Humans have the highest population of any mammalian species on Earth (Other Phylum taxonomic living things beat us, like ants).

This simple climate control actually branched off to create many different technologies. One of them, are greenhouses. Enabling to grow food in the coldest climates. And in the future, I am sure this will again branch to bigger inventions like effective climate control over the whole Earth, solving uncontrolled Climate Change.

1. I admire Nikola Tesla. His inventions truly changed his entire world, even without recognition.
2. This invention was made my Malcom Purcell McLean, and it has truly changed our world in such a great way, if you don't know him, shame on you

(i'm joking, I love all of you). He invented modern cargo, or in other words, those rectangular containers that you see on large cargo ships. How did that affect us, might you ask? It made goods more available and accessible to everyone in the whole world. Before his invention, every single good had to be loaded INDIVIDUALLY!!!!. Think about it!! Hundreds of thousands of goods, had to be put on cargo ships individually!! Obviously, this old way costed A FORTUNE, this naturally decreased the amount of products circulating around the world, as businesses wanted to save money, and supermarket prices were super high! Now the invented cargo can automatically increase the number of goods shipped, in extraordinarily fast, record times, while shipping costs decreased, directly leading to the significant decrease in supermarket prices.

So if you're living in Europe, Africa, Asia, or Oceania, and you can get cocao beans with less than 5 American Dollars. Thank Malcom for the containers shipping cocao beans from Central America!

3. Yes, CRISPR, this basically edits your literal genes to cure and defeat diseases such as cancer, or make Genetically modified foods to solve food crisises. And ohhhh my god it is soooo cool. You literal either cut a gene, and literally glue another gene from something else! Or you literally type out new genes. I swear to god I'm contemplating whether I should specialize in neurology and genetics when I go to med school. Anyways, this is a big change since genetics diseases such as cystic fibrosis could literally cease to exist. About a decade ago, CRISPR was a dream. Now, scientists are testing it on humans with CAR-T Cell Therapy to edit the genes of the immune system to learn how to identify cancer cells. We also edited the genes of bacteria to produce insulin rendering diabetes mellitius a regular disease people live with instead of a ticking time bomb. Along with that, we can also and are genetically modifiying foods to make it more resilient to crop damage and insects, along with climate change. With the amount of progress CRISPR has gotten over the last few years, there is lots optimism about the potential of Genetic Editing.

Let's just hope we don't try to "improve" the human race with genetic changes, we all know what happened for all the people that read the Divergent Series by Veronica Roth.

Thanks for Reading! Have a great weekend! And Happy Thanksgiving to my fellow Canadians!

I have read your thoughtful reply through. And I agree with you: McLean made a great contribution people can't estimate high enough. Ha has saved both money and time in terms of the transport of goods.

Do you allow me to ask you another quesiton? you sound so optimistically in your answer, but don't you be afraid of that inventions can be mistreated and change for worse? the modification of genes is such a good example.
(edited 6 months ago)
Do you admire a certain inventor?
The Olmec

Not sure about the other questions

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending