The Student Room Group

Will I Get In Trouble For Being an Altruist?

first thing's first, I hate politicians and dignitaries from all specturms as they generally screw their electorates up (regardless of your views, certain events in the news are lets face it, being made worse by those in power on both sides).

Now onto the reason for this post: I got a massive headache re figuring out what to do this week

tldr, interested in doing some charitable things but the rise in discriminatory incidents aimed at people from my background due to certain events this month has made me feel quite nervous.

long version: interested in attending a hackathon this week to develop solutions to help people in emergency zones / crisis zones (namely improving access to food water and medical supplies, as well as fundraising for internationally recognised charities), however I am worried about being targetted by police due to the current government's stance on the topic / being targeted by people influenced by the far right (**** discrimination in all its forms).

Also something which isnt being reported in the media is that certain governments blocking people from attending unis / accessing health education in non-conflict areas. Some clinicians in the UK are planning on hosting online teaching sessions PBL breakout rooms for med students in a country but again, I dont want to be targetted / branded a criminal by various governments for giving med students advice about different health conditions, treatment options and population health.

so yeah, the altruist in me wants to help people but the cynic in me is saying to avoid it due to the current political climate. any suggestions?
If you're worried about it, avoid it I say. Your heart may be in the right place but such a divisive issue can be problematic, especially if some numpties are attending the events have viewpoints which dont align with your own. If things were different, Id say go for it however but think for your own safety (I presume you are health professional - assess the situation, differential diagnosis the **** out of it and make your decision).

In anycase, my thoughts and prayers are with those in need and like yourself, I wish the political landscape everywhere was different. To paraphrase Albert Einstein, peace cannot be through force, it can only be attained through understanding.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending