The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I was adding to get the yearly cost for an AS- or an A2-level. £299 course+£40 exam fees+£10 postage for distance learning materials (charging postage? I expect to get free postage and packing if I've spent over £50 online!)
Have I misread it?
Original post by Octopus_Garden
I was adding to get the yearly cost for an AS- or an A2-level. £299 course+£40 exam fees+£10 postage for distance learning materials (charging postage? I expect to get free postage and packing if I've spent over £50 online!)
Have I misread it?

I thought it was £299 for AS course + £40 AS exam + £299 A2 course + £40 exam + £10 postage.

That makes more sense to me; £239/year :tongue:

It doesn't actually make it clear, it could be either scenario.
Original post by constantmeowage
I think you want 'das' actually, because it's a relative pronoun. Polymath? Octopus? Help? :tongue:

As a rule of thumb, I think if you can't replace a word by pointing your finger at it then it should be 'dass'

But this is a rule I made up, so ofc I can be wrong :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by thatitootoo
As a rule of thumb, I think if you can't replace a word by pointing your finger at it then it should be 'dass'

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not entirely sure of the context this is in, but looking back at the quoted posts, I think he does want "das ich", presuming he wants the relative pronoun.

Das Auto ist das, das ich gefahren habe.
Das Auto ist da, dass ich es fahren darf.

Is there actually any slight pronunciation difference between "das" and "dass"? I thought "dass" had a longer 's' sound.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 884
Yes, I had plans about how I was going to teach my children languages, but now I have them, it turns out I'm terrified of permanently impairing their ability to manage an authentic accent! So they watch foreign language DVDs with me, instead. Linguaphone videos are really good; they naturally imitate the people on the video. One toddler started producing a wonderful "Bonjour"!
The most famous Chinese-to-English translator of modern literature (Howard Goldblatt) only started learning Chinese in his twenties. I wouldn't get too worried about the age thing.
Original post by MangoFreak
I'm not entirely sure of the context this is in, but looking back at the quoted posts, I think he does want "das ich", presuming he wants the relative pronoun.

Das Auto ist das, das ich gefahren habe.
Das Auto ist da, dass ich es fahren darf.

Is there actually any slight pronunciation difference between "das" and "dass"? I thought "dass" had a longer 's' sound.

All of this is confusing my brain.
I should stick to my "eins, zwei, drei" practise for now, in preparation for my beginners course! lolol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, but you're referring to "etwas", so you need a 'das'.
Yes, but you're referring to "etwas", so you need a 'das'.

Ohhh ich verstehe!
But you can't use "was" instead though?

Posted from TSR Mobile
MangoFreak: If we assume you're not going to fast-track it (!) in a year, then surely you only pay for the course you're doing that year. That's how it normally works... Of course, if you did fast-track it, maybe they're combine postage on the AS stuff and the A2 stuff. That's £10 saved! *drop in the ocean emoticon*
Bonjour tlm! Il est fantastique d'etudier une langue vivante! Mon examen francais est *in* une semaine! Je suis inquietee par le fait qu'il y a seulement une semaine...c'est tres difficile parce que quiero hablar en espagnol! Ma, parlo italiano...
Ohhh ich verstehe!
But you can't use "was" instead though?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, because 'was' can only mean 'which' in the sense that the relative clause (the 'der'/'die' etc clause) refers to the entire sentence/idea.

z.B.:

Da steht der Mann, der mich gern zusammenschlägt.

Here, we are only referring to the man that likes to beat me up.

Manche Leute essen heutzutage Bäume, was für mich ein riesiges Problem geworden ist.

Here we are referring to the whole idea of people eating trees, not a specific thing. Here, we can only use 'was', because there's not one single noun in the sentence that I think is a problem, rather than entire notion of it.
(edited 10 years ago)
MangoFreak: If we assume you're not going to fast-track it (!) in a year, then surely you only pay for the course you're doing that year. That's how it normally works... Of course, if you did fast-track it, maybe they're combine postage on the AS stuff and the A2 stuff. That's £10 saved! *drop in the ocean emoticon*

So you're saying I would pay for AS, then pay for A2 when I start A2? That makes sense :tongue:
No, because 'was' can only mean 'which' in the sense that the relative clause (the 'der'/'die' etc clause) refers to the entire sentence/idea.

z.B.:

Da steht der Mann, der mich gern zusammenschlägt.

Here, we are only referring to the man that likes to beat me up.

Manche Leute essen heutzutage Bäume, was für mich ein riesiges Problem geworden ist.

Here we are referring to the whole idea of people eating trees, not a specific thing. Here, we can only use 'was', because there's not one single noun in the sentence that I think is a problem, rather than entire notion of it.

Интерессно, I like your creativity! haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 893
Original post by seyrose
汉语怎么样? :biggrin:

我现在在北京(清华大学)学习汉语 :)你呢?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 894
Original post by MangoFreak

Nooooo. Also I'm a bit offended that I wasn't among those appealed to for German advice. :getmecoat:
I got UMS of 39/40 on a past paper! :biggrin: (French Listening)
Original post by L'Evil Fish
I got UMS of 39/40 on a past paper! :biggrin: (French Listening)

How do you know the UMS? And aren't they normally in %? Unless youre talking about the raw marks...in which case your score of 39/40 would be quite neat! :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 897
How do you know the UMS? And aren't they normally in %? Unless youre talking about the raw marks...in which case your score of 39/40 would be quite neat! :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know that for AQA at least, there's a raw mark - UMS converter.
Original post by Ronove
Nooooo. Also I'm a bit offended that I wasn't among those appealed to for German advice. :getmecoat:

Me? I don't remember appealing for advice :holmes: (I imagine you're not referring to me though :tongue:)
Original post by Vionar
I know that for AQA at least, there's a raw mark - UMS converter.

Yeah but that's still % right
for instance 39/40 raw marks would give you 100% UMS

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending