The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2361
Original post by Cable
Carrying on from the stuff I was saying about Luiz yesterday, I really think he has the potential to be one of the best footballers of all time. I don't think Luiz fully realises the potential he has within him to be an all time great. If he did, he would realise that he could be the closest thing to a reincarnation of Franz Beckenbauer.

The way Luiz brings the ball out of defence and initiates attacks from deep reminds me so much of Franz. But unfortunately Luiz doesn't have the tactical brain of Franz that helped him read the game well and perform his sweeper role effectively. He's not as good on the ball as Franz (which is understandable) but it may be down to his laziness/lack of concentration, rather than ability. He doesn't have the calmness, leadership and presence that Franz had which made him feared and respected back in the day.

If Luiz can improve on these things vastly, he'll be a footballing legend when he retires imo, even if he doesn't reach the heights of Beckenbauer.

Agree here. Luiz has the potential to be a quality footballer, he's the most technical defender we've ever had for sure.
I haven't watched franz but from what I hear he was one of those extremely technical defenders, wasn't he a midfielder/striker before converting to a centre back? Probably the version of a complete player. Luiz is the only person who I could genuinely say has the potential to be a complete player.

In reality he needs to improve his defending(concentrate more) but one thing I've noticed about luiz is that when the team are motivated and have momentum he's always having a great game. See the second half of the FA cup semi final, he was poor in the first half but in the second half he absolutely bossed it, when city tried to counter he made sure to get the ball off aguero/tevez and ran into midfield to help the attackers and get the tempo of the game going. The napoli second leg is another example, remember one challenge he made where he ran into midfield and just did an awesome standing tackle on inler/lavezzi I think. Plus he played well in the CL final and he was injured the whole match.

This brings me to another point.

Spoiler

What do you think?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2362
Original post by TH3-FL45H
Being sexist and prejudicing (is that a word? :s-smilie:)

Typical.

Prejudiced :wink:
Reply 2363
Original post by jam277
Agree here. Luiz has the potential to be a quality footballer, he's the most technical defender we've ever had for sure.
I haven't watched franz but from what I hear he was one of those extremely technical defenders, wasn't he a midfielder/striker before converting to a centre back? Probably the version of a complete player. Luiz is the only person who I could genuinely say has the potential to be a complete player.

In reality he needs to improve his defending(concentrate more) but one thing I've noticed about luiz is that when the team are motivated and have momentum he's always having a great game. See the second half of the FA cup semi final, he was poor in the first half but in the second half he absolutely bossed it, when city tried to counter he made sure to get the ball off aguero/tevez and ran into midfield to help the attackers and get the tempo of the game going. The napoli second leg is another example, remember one challenge he made where he ran into midfield and just did an awesome standing tackle on inler/lavezzi I think. Plus he played well in the CL final and he was injured the whole match.

I agree with all you've said.

From what I can remember, Franz started of as a midfielder while occasionally playing in defence. In his younger days, he was more of a Gerrard type of midfielder. At his peak, he became more refined, more elegant, more intelligent, a better leader (even though he was always a leader) and utilized his football skills to the max. He was one of the best passers in the history of the game and is the most complete footballer I've ever seen. He was competent at the offensive and defensive aspects of the game.
We should try 3atb next season, with cole/bertrand and azpilicueta as wing backs/defensive wingers, luiz being the libero would be able to go into midfield and it causes us to push up more. We could have de bruyne/oscar in the CM role and he'll obviously be given freedom to get forward when luiz steps into midfield, mata and hazard will be doing the work in the no 10 role and they'll have a bit more space as they all don't occupy the same position.

Basically I'm saying we play a 3-4-2-1 which can then change into a 4-2-3-1 if needed. We certainly have the players for it. I like cole when he's allowed to bomb forward, plus bertrand has played the defensive winger role quite a lot. A problem with the trio is that we lose a lot of width, but that would no longer be a problem if bertrand/cole and azpilicueta are in more advanced positions.

What do you think?

It's a brilliant idea. But the players will have to be well taught and competent on the tactical side of the game to pull it off expertly.

I would like to see it happen. But sadly, I don't think it will.

I wouldn't mind seeing a bit of 4-3-3 as well next season.
Reply 2364
Original post by Cable
I agree with all you've said.

From what I can remember, Franz started of as a midfielder while occasionally playing in defence. In his younger days, he was more of a Gerrard type of midfielder. At his peak, he became more refined, more elegant, more intelligent, a better leader (even though he was always a leader) and utilized his football skills to the max. He was one of the best passers in the history of the game and is the most complete footballer I've ever seen. He was competent at the offensive and defensive aspects of the game.

It's a brilliant idea. But the players will have to be well taught and competent on the tactical side of the game to pull it off expertly.

I would like to see it happen. But sadly, I don't think it will.

I wouldn't mind seeing a bit of 4-3-3 as well next season.

Interesting, might watch the germany vs holland world cup final. Got a few more matches I wanna watch, like the nottingham forest CL final matches(heard clough got them to play some quality football) and some old united matches. Then there's the old england when they were actually good because of fergie's fledgings.

4-3-3, yeah with actual competent players on the wing unlike under ancelotti/AVB it could work, but only with romeu/luiz in the DM position to dictate the tempo. I guess it'll just lead us to be a bit more like barca though.

We'd probably see 4-3-3 once or twice next season but likelyhood is that we'll play a 4-2-3-1 or a -4-2-2-2 for the most part of the season.
Reply 2365
Original post by jam277
Interesting, might watch the germany vs holland world cup final. Got a few more matches I wanna watch, like the nottingham forest CL final matches(heard clough got them to play some quality football) and some old united matches. Then there's the old england when they were actually good because of fergie's fledgings.

Cool. Try and watch the Bayern Munchen of the early 70s as well if you can . As you can tell, I'm a big fan of Beckenbauer and german football back in the day.

4-3-3, yeah with actual competent players on the wing unlike under ancelotti/AVB it could work, but only with romeu/luiz in the DM position to dictate the tempo. I guess it'll just lead us to be a bit more like barca though.

We'd probably see 4-3-3 once or twice next season but likelyhood is that we'll play a 4-2-3-1 or a -4-2-2-2 for the most part of the season.

T'is a shame though. I like a manager/coach to regularly switch to different formations when necessary to try and keep opponents guessing. If you keep using the same formation all the time, people will eventually figure out your entire gameplan and know how to nullify your strengths and exploit your weaknesses. And you won't be able to adapt to it and change your gameplan because you only know how to follow Plan A. You're not used to playing with a different gameplan.

But if you regularly change formations when necessary, the opposition will have a harder time guessing your gameplan and preparing for it. Also, it's always good to have a plan B if plan A isn't working. But if you haven't experimented with other formations enough, you won't know what the best plan B is and the team won't be able to use it comfortably. Practice makes perfect afterall.

You can see why I'm Mourinho's biggest fan. At Inter, he was a tactical beast.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Cable

In recent memory, and certainly from a Chelsea view point, Gullit was the same player. Starting as a striker, and then with age and experience, moving back until ending his career with us as a CB/DM - usually played as a sweeper/libero due to his excellent reading of the game. This is what Luiz can do; rather than forcing him to act rashly in actually tackling players, he could be taught (although he can already do it rather well) to practise the stepping in and interception (a la older Paolo Maldini). It is also who Ake seems to have taken after (apropos his appearance as well). Try to watch some Koeman/Baresi/Sammer as well as they really mastered the role.

Beckenbauer though. What a truly a class player, he defined the attacking libero role. No wonder they nicknamed him Der Kaiser.
Reply 2367
Original post by Cable
Cool. Try and watch the Bayern Munchen of the early 70s as well if you can . As you can tell, I'm a big fan of Beckenbauer and german football back in the day.

Will do.

T'is a shame though. I like a manager/coach to regularly switch to different formations when necessary to try and keep opponents guessing. If you keep using the same formation all the time, people will eventually figure out your entire gameplan and know how to nullify your strengths and exploit your weaknesses. And you won't be able to adapt to it and change your gameplan because you only know how to follow Plan A. You're not used to playing with a different gameplan.

But if you regularly change formations when necessary, the opposition will have a harder time guessing your gameplan and preparing for it. Also, it's always good to have a plan B if plan A isn't working. But if you haven't experimented with other formations enough, you won't know what the best plan B is and the team won't be able to use it comfortably. Practice makes perfect afterall.

You can see why I'm Mourinho's biggest fan. At Inter, he was a tactical beast.

The lack of a plan B was pretty much the main reason for guardiola's poor season last year. He started doing it a little too late I feel. The players were not used to it enough, eventually when teams figured out a way to beat barca he then tried to counter it by keeping the ball even more(more of plan A), to the point that the players got sick of it and evidently it didn't work out(their surrender of the league and CL is a testament to that) he was unfortunate with injuries though. I don't even know what guardiola was trying to do in the second leg of the CL semi final against us he looked like he lost the plot.

We do need more than one formation next year. I think that's partially the reason for fergies failings in europe. The seasons he was a beast at the CL were the years he used to do the 4-3-3 counterattacking formation. He did try the diamond this season and it wasn't the greatest though but it allowed them to play through the middle better and was an option when the wingers were injured/off form. Also think like bayern munich we need to vary our play as well as they do. I think that's the type of play we're going to lead to next season.
Reply 2368
Original post by jam277
Will do.

The lack of a plan B was pretty much the main reason for guardiola's poor season last year. He started doing it a little too late I feel. The players were not used to it enough, eventually when teams figured out a way to beat barca he then tried to counter it by keeping the ball even more(more of plan A), to the point that the players got sick of it and evidently it didn't work out(their surrender of the league and CL is a testament to that) he was unfortunate with injuries though. I don't even know what guardiola was trying to do in the second leg of the CL semi final against us he looked like he lost the plot.

We do need more than one formation next year. I think that's partially the reason for fergies failings in europe. The seasons he was a beast at the CL were the years he used to do the 4-3-3 counterattacking formation. He did try the diamond this season and it wasn't the greatest though but it allowed them to play through the middle better and was an option when the wingers were injured/off form. Also think like bayern munich we need to vary our play as well as they do. I think that's the type of play we're going to lead to next season.

Agreed.
Reply 2369
Original post by billybo_h
In recent memory, and certainly from a Chelsea view point, Gullit was the same player. Starting as a striker, and then with age and experience, moving back until ending his career with us as a CB/DM - usually played as a sweeper/libero due to his excellent reading of the game. This is what Luiz can do; rather than forcing him to act rashly in actually tackling players, he could be taught (although he can already do it rather well) to practise the stepping in and interception (a la older Paolo Maldini). It is also who Ake seems to have taken after (apropos his appearance as well). Try to watch some Koeman/Baresi/Sammer as well as they really mastered the role.

Beckenbauer though. What a truly a class player, he defined the attacking libero role. No wonder they nicknamed him Der Kaiser.

Good post man. I've already watched a bit of Baresi. Like you said, he was a master of the role as well. Defo one of the best defenders of all time as well. His defensive intelligence was outstanding.

I've always wanted to watch some Koeman. I will do in the future along with Sammer.
Reply 2370

In addition to my post above, did you watch the world cup final in 1994? Baresi produced one of the best defensive displays I've ever seen.
Original post by Cable
In addition to my post above, did you watch the world cup final in 1994? Baresi produced one of the best defensive displays I've ever seen.

I haven't before, read about it though. Got injured in the first round against Norway, and missed every game until the final, which he captained as his last international game - the embodiment of desire. This video though - http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x91ao8_franco-baresi-heroics-world-cup-fin_sport#.UZASOhG9KSM - I know you cannot rate players off YouTube videos, but Luiz's game is just reappropriating the game that Baresi played. Some of his interceptions are direct copies.

The '88 Dutch team - Koeman, Rijkaard, van Basten, Gullit - is still my favourite group of players. They could all interchange with each other, with the exception of van Basten, but his pure striking ability meant they didn't need another striker; his doctor said of him, Marco always played football like a ballerina.

With our future of Luiz (as captain?)/Chalobah/Ake we have 3 interchangeable sweepers/DM who can control a game. Add in the interchangeable well documented attacking options, our midfield will be so fluid - it will be like the Dutch champions.
Reply 2372
I haven't before, read about it though. Got injured in the first round against Norway, and missed every game until the final, which he captained as his last international game - the embodiment of desire. This video though - http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x91ao8_franco-baresi-heroics-world-cup-fin_sport#.UZASOhG9KSM - I know you cannot rate players off YouTube videos, but Luiz's game is just reappropriating the game that Baresi played. Some of his interceptions are direct copies.

The '88 Dutch team - Koeman, Rijkaard, van Basten, Gullit - is still my favourite group of players. They could all interchange with each other, with the exception of van Basten, but his pure striking ability meant they didn't need another striker; his doctor said of him, Marco always played football like a ballerina.

With our future of Luiz (as captain?)/Chalobah/Ake we have 3 interchangeable sweepers/DM who can control a game. Add in the interchangeable well documented attacking options, our midfield will be so fluid - it will be like the Dutch champions.

Good post again. I generally agree. Will watch the video later.

I particularly like the last paragraph. The future is so bright for Chelsea. Let's hope the management at Chelsea don't screw things up. If the players develop well and the right coach/manager is in charge, we could be witnessing a Chelsea team (some time in the future) that will go down as one of the best footballing sides of all time.
Reply 2373
I'm off soon to get some sleep. Have a good week everyone.
QPR are unbelievably poor. How the **** did we not win against them this season...?
Reply 2375
http://www.gianlucadimarzio.com/calciomercato/colpo-monaco-in-arrivo-falcao-atteso-solo-lannuncio-ufficiale/ (Source in Italian)
Falcao to AS Monaco is apparently a done deal bar an official statement. This is from the same guy who broke the Pep to Bayern story amongst others, so he's usually quite accurate. Lewandowski anyone?

https://twitter.com/transfernewscen/status/333667801631969281
Also Courtois got the Zamora, given to the 'best' (ie. best goal to game ratio) keeper in La Liga.
Reply 2376
No great loss if Falcao goes to Monaco, just as long as he's not going to a serious club with serious ambitions. Cavani is just as good imo, and Lewandowski has a huge amount of potential. I'd choose Cavani if all three of them were the same price/wage demands personally, but of course that's not the case. No idea what the club will do, wouldn't be surprised if we don't go for any of them and bring in someone like Gomez as a cheap but clinical option...
Might be getting Rooney for £20m. Personally I wouldn't mind him here, can play in midfield and striker. And he's the best English player there is.

Yes, he did have a poor season, but he had a great last season.
Reply 2378
Original post by mhsc
No great loss if Falcao goes to Monaco, just as long as he's not going to a serious club with serious ambitions. Cavani is just as good imo, and Lewandowski has a huge amount of potential. I'd choose Cavani if all three of them were the same price/wage demands personally, but of course that's not the case. No idea what the club will do, wouldn't be surprised if we don't go for any of them and bring in someone like Gomez as a cheap but clinical option...
Yeah I agree, Monaco have just been promoted to Ligue 1 and have got themselves a Russian billionaire, and if they're bringing in a player like Falcao now they'll probably be in the CL come the 14/15 season.

Although getting Falcao would be amazing, I really don't think we should be dropping another ~£50m on a striker so soon after this whole Torres affair, the same goes for Cavani. IMO next season we should be putting in a decent challenge for the title, and whilst I don't want to take anything away from Lukaku, with United, City and Arsenal all looking to spend big over the summer I have a feeling he might not quite cut the mustard as our first choice striker, at least not yet. I think Lewandowski or Gomez would be exactly what we need, without breaking the bank. If we can offload Torres, or perhaps Ba, making Lukaku our 2nd choice striker with a mind to play him as regularly as possible in addition to Lewandowski/Gomez, I think we'd stand an excellent chance of winning the league. If not, I don't want to see Lukaku here and behind Ba/Torres in the pecking order. There was talk of Swansea wanting Lukaku on loan, which I don't think would be a bad option, he'd grab some European experience too.
I don't like the feeling of it personally. Prefer if we stay away from Rooney.

Latest