The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

poor first half, conceded far too much possession.

Torres has been poor, keeps letting the centre backs step in front and isnt holding the ball up.

Schurrle and Azpilicueta have been pretty awful, and lampard looks off the pace -- which sadly is becoming the norm.

Plenty of warning signs and we need to step it up second half as Schalke are there for the taking.
0-2 torres
Reply 7222
Woohoo Torres!!! Keep it up

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hazard is back :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Great result, plus Basel dropped 2 points.
I feel bad for Torres not getting a Hat trick but 2 goals are better than nothing!
Today was Torres's 100th appearance!
Original post by The Assassin
poor first half, conceded far too much possession.

Torres has been poor, keeps letting the centre backs step in front and isnt holding the ball up.

Schurrle and Azpilicueta have been pretty awful, and lampard looks off the pace -- which sadly is becoming the norm.

Plenty of warning signs and we need to step it up second half as Schalke are there for the taking.

btw why can't Chelsea play with 2 strikers in a 4-1-3-2 formation?
Torres - European games
Eto'o - PL games
Ba - Other cup games

Although it should be Lukaku playing everything :angry:
Sounds like a good convincing win today, I couldn't keep my eyes away from watching the Arsenal v Dortmund game. From what I saw in the first half, Chelsea had solid defending but we couldn't keep possession or get the ball out of our own half. Didn't catch any of the second half though.
Yes Torresssss!!! :biggrin:
Original post by Enoxial
btw why can't Chelsea play with 2 strikers in a 4-1-3-2 formation?

With only holding midfielder it'd leave too much space. The 3 amigos or whoever's playing would be forced to do a lot of defensive work which they're not great at (although it's improved since last season and having the likes of Schurrle there would help.
it's strange how a striker can be so out of form in domestic competitions yet be so in form in continental competitions (and internationally when called up)
Reply 7232
Original post by shawn_o1
it's strange how a striker can be so out of form in domestic competitions yet be so in form in continental competitions (and internationally when called up)

To be fair hes looked better than usual in his last few PL games.
Reply 7233
Personally I think we should try 3-6-1 a bit more against park the bus teams at home. Norwich at home would be a great match for this. If we want a bit of defensive stability bertrand/cole/azpi plays there but if we want width, quick passing and penetration we use schurrle and willian?

Oh and are any of you guys slightly worried about mata? I don't think he'll leave, but I think the constant rotation means he may struggle to do as well as he did for us the past 2 seasons? Although it's a team game and everyone needs to do their bit and I agree with the dropping of mata. We need to sell a player or loan em out to get the best out of our players individutally and the team.
(edited 10 years ago)
Hopefully we stick Mata in against City. We were struggling to hold onto the ball in midfield areas and he'll definitely help. Either him or Mikel should play so we don't end up giving the ball away and relying on ruthless counter attacks. We need to keep the ball better so we don't invite as much pressure. It's okay to play like this against Bayern Munich when we have to accept that we won't dominate possession so can focus on a counter attack. But against City, I expect some form of composure in the middle of the park, so we can protect a lead through slowing the game down keeping possession (should we hold a lead at any point during Sunday's game).
Reply 7235
City are without Kompany this weekend, and watching them vs CSKA their defense is looking fairly porous. Quite a good time to be playing them I think.
Is it just me or Manchester City's defense is just poor?
Also I think we will have to mark City players well if we want to win.
Reply 7237
I had a vision that we'll win 2-0 vs city, this is FM related. Last time I had such a vision was after arsenal got spanked 4-0 by milan and they won 3-0 the return leg. I ignored it as well. Yes, I was on the receiving end of a 4-0 spanking in the round of 16 in the CL then won 3-0 the next leg in between the milan arsenal games in fm12.

That's why I think we'll win 2-0, I'm even going to put a bet on it(so I can promptly lose my money)
The great jam has spoken

brb putting my life savings on a 2-0 win this sunday
Reply 7239
I'd laugh my ass off if we won 2-0 though. I really need to find a way to sleep at night. Its actually just annoying now.

Latest