The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

God I hope Mata gets a lot more starts, he is sublime.
Original post by bammy jastard 27
When Lamps went for oscar ramires played on the right wing and Mata went in the hole in a 4-2-3-1.
4-4-2 second half. Mata and hazard on the flanks but coming in.

Then reverted to a 4-3-3

Hopefully. :smile:

Cheers. Thought it was a 4-4-2 but wasn't sure.

Also, how good did Azpi look as the LB? Looks like we won't even need Shaw if he keeps this kind of play up.
Reply 8202
Original post by The Assassin

Also, how good did Azpi look as the LB? Looks like we won't even need Shaw if he keeps this kind of play up.

He was generally good, wasn't troubled too much tbh. James ward prowse put in a couple crosses which were pretty good so he could have done better then, but he wasn't getting ripped or anything. Seems like a long term solution there tbh.

What if Ivanovic was to get injured then we'd need Azpilicueta back to his position.
Luke Shaw is still young and improving, would be an amazing signing if we could get him.
Saying that, Ivanovic played really good today and his crosses were more improved.
Ramires should run the Olympic Marathon for Brazil, god knows where he gets the energy to run like the way he does for 90 minutes and also fly in with slide tackles.
Reply 8204
Should play azpi LB and bertrand RB as a new tactic.
Original post by cleveradam
What if Ivanovic was to get injured then we'd need Azpilicueta back to his position.
Luke Shaw is still young and improving, would be an amazing signing if we could get him.
Saying that, Ivanovic played really good today and his crosses were more improved.
Ramires should run the Olympic Marathon for Brazil, god knows where he gets the energy to run like the way he does for 90 minutes and also fly in with slide tackles.

Meh, we have wallace in the wings hopefully and kalas can play RB at worst. If that's not feasible to mourinho we'll get a RB.

Don't want Shaw tbh. Good player and all, but until Cole leaves there's no point.
Reply 8205
Original post by Scott.M
Don't get too happy about this. From an outsider's point of view southampton had dominated the entire game and you have been lucky and scored from 2 corners in 2 mins.

At the start of the season I thought Chelsea might win the title, but based on this and other performances I think there is now absolutely no chance of that. Arsenal are going to show you up.

Rubbish, you need to watch another sport if you really think that.
Original post by trrr
Rubbish, you need to watch another sport if you really think that.

Agreed :rolleyes:
Original post by Nichrome
:smile: :smile: :smile:

haha... cheeky :lol:
Reply 8208
Oscar's updated his facebook to say he isn't injured which is good, looks like his substitution was just a precaution.
Reply 8209
Original post by bammy jastard 27
Should play azpi LB and bertrand RB as a new tactic.

Taking a page out of Mancini's book :holmes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8210
Fam Negredo is a beast. Just saw his freekick. City are murderers.
Original post by 419
Taking a page out of Mancini's book :holmes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Then play Schurrle up top and play anti-football. Means we can narrow down as much as possible and just hoof up to schurrle when teams attack us and he runs onto balls. :sogood: the beautiful game played.
Romeu started his first game for Valencia in the league in a while. Did quite well I thought.
I don't know why but even before the game Southampton never worried me. We are better than them and should beat them. We played well from the 35th minute I say. Oscar and Torres had those first half headers.

Second half could''ve easily been 4-1/5-1. It took us too long to kill the game off as we were cutting them to shreds. I was getting worried that they might have scored although they were hardly any threat. The only time they caused us problems was when we made our own problem. They had no shots on targer after their goal so that's a good 95 minutes.

We were largely untroubled defensively, so all in all good performance.

I'm backing City for the league as they have the best team, but if we keep on picking up points at home and remain solid away, things could get interesting. We need to beat Liverpool (easier with Sturridge out) and Arsenal (classic counter-attacking game) and we should be not far off the top by Christmas. United are 9 points off top at the minute and I can't see them picking up 9 more points than Arsenal, considering they have to go to the Emirates and Stamford Bridge at the back end of the season.
Reply 8213
Original post by 9MmBulletz
I don't know why but even before the game Southampton never worried me. We are better than them and should beat them. We played well from the 35th minute I say. Oscar and Torres had those first half headers.

Second half could''ve easily been 4-1/5-1. It took us too long to kill the game off as we were cutting them to shreds. I was getting worried that they might have scored although they were hardly any threat. The only time they caused us problems was when we made our own problem. They had no shots on targer after their goal so that's a good 95 minutes.

We were largely untroubled defensively, so all in all good performance.

I'm backing City for the league as they have the best team, but if we keep on picking up points at home and remain solid away, things could get interesting. We need to beat Liverpool (easier with Sturridge out) and Arsenal (classic counter-attacking game) and we should be not far off the top by Christmas. United are 9 points off top at the minute and I can't see them picking up 9 more points than Arsenal, considering they have to go to the Emirates and Stamford Bridge at the back end of the season.

Agree with what you say.

Still think we'll win the league though. Lamps and ramires did well in that 4-4-2. Jose is the best manager at finding a solution to win a game by far. You can tell that he thinks a lot about things before and during a match.

I think with the way our team is full on top heavy but not the best central midfield in the world, we are best suited to be a reactive team that preys on other teams weaknesses anyway. I think that City are a mixture of the two, while Arsenal are a fully proactive team. I think this is why our fans are pessimistic, as they want to see us impose a game from the start, but we don't have the players for that yet. I think Mourinho was alluding to this earlier on in the season before we beat fulham.
Reply 8214
Original post by kidomo
:frown:

:rofl: hahahahaa
I won't be surprised if they lose against Southampton....a real possibility. I really hope they don't sack Mourinho :lol: he is doing a fantastic job at Chelsea!

He really is doing a good job isn't he? Change of tactics to beat Southampton 3-1. Not bad for such an "idiot"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone heard the stuff about AVB? Doesn't look like he can take criticism too well tbh. Can't handle the pressure. Shows it bothers him and the media will continue writing negative things about him they don't care.

Glad we don't have to worry anymore though; never was a massive fan of him and his decisions (not all, but a lot) . In fact possibly the only sacking from RA that I can agree with (maybe Tinkerman as well considering who got afterwards!)
(edited 10 years ago)
Anyone heard the stuff about AVB? Doesn't look like he can take criticism too well tbh. Can't handle the pressure. Shows it bothers him and the media will continue writing negative things about him they don't care.

Glad we don't have to worry anymore though; never was a massive fan of him and his decisions. In fact possibly the only sacking from RA that I can agree with (maybe Tinkerman as well considering who got afterwards!)

At least AVB gave Sturridge n Romeu a chance. If he stayed till the season's end, we would've been out of CL and FA cup but I reckon we would've got 4th place as we would've got 5-8 more league points
Original post by 9MmBulletz
At least AVB gave Sturridge n Romeu a chance. If he stayed till the season's end, we would've been out of CL and FA cup but I reckon we would've got 4th place as we would've got 5-8 more league points

Yeah the main thing I was happy with was him playing Sturridge more. Then he never got much of a chance :|
Reply 8218

Glad we don't have to worry anymore though; never was a massive fan of him and his decisions. In fact possibly the only sacking from RA that I can agree with (maybe Tinkerman as well considering who got afterwards!)

Tbh, AVB is right.

Wenger did the exact same thing last season after losing to bayern and they then went on a run afterwards. I'm happy AVB did this, if you read the article they posted about him, it was ridiculous. He's the youngest manager in premier league history, the youngest manager ever to win a treble and won it in better fashion than how Mourinho did at porto yet they basically devalued his acheivements.

I really liked AVB, wasn't a fan of his decisions at times but he had the right idea in how to bring us forward. If he didn't annoy the players like mourinho did at madrid, he'd have had success now at Chelsea. But really what happened to him at Chelsea can happen to any manager.
But no-one wins the title with a string of streaky 1-0 victories.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2513901/Andre-Villas-Boas-depth-Chelsea-wrong-man-Tottenham--Ash-Wednesday.html
I find this bit the most funny, considering the way united and us won our titles under mourinho/ferguson.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8219
Original post by Skkc16
He really is doing a good job isn't he? Change of tactics to beat Southampton 3-1. Not bad for such an "idiot"

Posted from TSR Mobile

He's a troll, like with dogswithwings, who flocks onto our thread when we lose(although he said he's going to troll arsenal when they next lose due to their reactions :lol:). Boring tbh. I don't get what people gain from adding vitriolic garbage to the site. Especially since it's not even that good at annoying posters, bar the waste of time in filtering out bad posts on the thread.

Latest