Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Guys, do you reckon we'll need to get a new CB? I remember jam saying we don't need to get anyone new unless it's someone like Dante/Barzaghli/Mascherano, which I agreed with.

Ivanovic is often caught out of position. Terry can't play every week considering his age. So we're left with Cahill and Luiz. If Luiz is played in midfield then we're really just left with Cahill and Ivanovic with occasional rotation of Terry. If there's an injury like Cahill's then we're stuck with Iva/Terry. We'll need a consistent partnership next season.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingMessi)
    Call me cynical, but I remember most of the Mourinho-Benitez encounters - excluding, of course, that excellent Champions League quarter-final - being rather dull affairs - 0-0s and 1-0s and the like.
    Tbh I wasn't just talking about goals, it was just funny how we always met each other in huge games.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Assassin)
    Guys, do you reckon we'll need to get a new CB? I remember jam saying we don't need to get anyone new unless it's someone like Dante/Barzaghli/Mascherano, which I agreed with.

Ivanovic is often caught out of position. Terry can't play every week considering his age. So we're left with Cahill and Luiz. If Luiz is played in midfield then we're really just left with Cahill and Ivanovic with occasional rotation of Terry. If there's an injury like Cahill's then we're stuck with Iva/Terry. We'll need a consistent partnership next season.
    Not really fussed, obviously having a truly world class CB partnership would be good but its like 4th on the priority list for signings this summer imo.

If Jose comes in we'll play as a better defensive unit anyway, he'll probably put Cole and Azpi on more of a leash and get someone to play as a proper DM. I expect we'll counter attack and get an extremely clinical striker in...IF the Special One returns.

ReputationRep:
    Bit short notice but I have 2 spare junior tickets to the match tomorrow if anyone wants them?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Chalobah is a centre-back by trade isn't he? And Omeruo seems to be getting on with his business.

Feels like if we don't use our youngsters now, we'll have lost the chance to bring through some potential first-teamers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn-er)
    Chalobah is a centre-back by trade isn't he? And Omeruo seems to be getting on with his business.

Feels like if we don't use our youngsters now, we'll have lost the chance to bring through some potential first-teamers.
    Chalobah plays as a DM though and he's doing really well there, no point changing his development. It's similar to how alaba was shunted from CM to left back and it's worked a treat so might as well keep him there. Omeruo we'll have to see with him I guess.

(Original post by Deshi)
    Tbh I wasn't just talking about goals, it was just funny how we always met each other in huge games.
    True, kinda missed that. I've never seen a united liverpool CL match though. That would be a pretty good game to watch especially with that 09 team you had.

Terry can play every week I feel. How long was puyol playing as a starter until? It was only last season when he started getting dropped for mascherano. We should get a top CB but it's not first on the list. Also kalas apparently has been good and at the very worst we could use bruma as a last resort backup.

More pressing problems than defence. If we could sort out the CM/DM positions and get a striker/versatile forward like lewandowski and robben then a CB would be next on the list. Personally our transfer list in the summer should be robben and lewandowski. Two wouldn't cost more than 50 million together and then get that CM/use david luiz and chalobah there then really we've sorted out all of our problems in the squad.

ReputationRep:
    You're right jam. I agree, once again, lol.

--

Some potentially juicy information regarding Mourinho (and some transfers) -- some from more reliable sources some from less reliable ones:

• All newspapers that Mourinho definitely has been linked with Chelsea in one way or another, but Mou wants his advisors to negotiate more with Chelsea & PSG.
    • Mourinho has lowered his demands in returning, nonetheless.
    • Even if we don't make the champion's league, he's still eager to return
    • Not so sure what to feel about this - Xabi Alonso could be with us if Mourinho returns
    • It'll basically be a merry-go-round with the managers - Mourinho to Chelsea; Rafa to PSG; Ancelotti to RMCF
    • If Mourinho returns, RA would still refuse to axe Michael Emenalo, and unfortunately the special one will have to work under him
    • Villa are trying as hard as possible to keep Benteke
    • If Mourinho does return, he may be interested in some of the following: Falcao, Lewandowski, Khedira, Hulk (no thanks), Coentrao, Schurrle, Moutinho

What's the big deal with Emenalo? Why is RA so keen on him?

ReputationRep:
    I hate speculation, it's boring.

I'll be ecstatic if Mourinho does return, but I will only believe it when I see it confirmed in an official statement made only by the club.

If Mourinho doesn't return I'd be happy for Rafa to continue. His attitude to the haters has impressed me, he's kept his head down and he's got on with the job. His influence of some of the players has been excellent. I have to eat my words about what I've said about him in the past, I'll actually be a little bit disappointed to see him replaced. Because he will be, he wont stay. Unfortunate really. If he's not going to be replaced by Mourinho, I see no other reason to get rid of him.

Sitting in the lower shed end tonight, I hope Basel get an early goal to make the game intense and a bit nerve wracking! I love the ups and downs in a footy match!

ReputationRep:
    You've been gone for a while. Were you banned?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rybee)
    I hate speculation, it's boring.

I'll be ecstatic if Mourinho does return, but I will only believe it when I see it confirmed in an official statement made only by the club.

If Mourinho doesn't return I'd be happy for Rafa to continue. His attitude to the haters has impressed me, he's kept his head down and he's got on with the job. His influence of some of the players has been excellent. I have to eat my words about what I've said about him in the past, I'll actually be a little bit disappointed to see him replaced. Because he will be, he wont stay. Unfortunate really. If he's not going to be replaced by Mourinho, I see no other reason to get rid of him.

Sitting in the lower shed end tonight, I hope Basel get an early goal to make the game intense and a bit nerve wracking! I love the ups and downs in a footy match!
    Zomg :eek: a Chelsea fan who's started taking a liking to Benitez!

Was reading some articles about Benitez's influence on Luiz - he does seem like an improved player (more disciplined) player this season.

ReputationRep:
    You've been gone for a while. Were you banned?
    Yah ;( 20 Warning points. Still have 10 active for another week.

(Original post by Zerforax)
    Zomg :eek: a Chelsea fan who's started taking a liking to Benitez!

Was reading some articles about Benitez's influence on Luiz - he does seem like an improved player (more disciplined) player this season.
    Yeah he is way more disciplined, Torres has certainly become a better played this season.

I really have changed my tune about Benitez.

ReputationRep:
    I'd be happy with Xabi Alonso tbh. He's a great player and better than Mikel. Probably better than Fellaini and would be good to get him on a free rather than fork out £20+ on a DM.

Hulk I'm not so keen on.

ReputationRep:
    Lineup should be interesting tonight.

Ashley is suspended.

Luiz, Ramires, Bertrand, Mikel on yellow cards, whilst Ramires leg injury puts him in a doubtful position anyway. Romeu is still out of midfield too.

Will be interesting to see whether Rafa risks Bertrand on a yellow at left back or plays Paulo there, or possibly David, again on a yellow. Frank has to play CM, and then he's going to have to chance Luiz/Mikel/Ramires if he's fit, all on a yellow, in a midfield role that will inevitably involve tough tackling.

I personally think Luiz is too valuable in his versatility, to risk him picking up a yellow and not playing in the final.

Hope Mikel starts and immediately gets a yellow so I don't have to scream at him for 90 minutes in the final. Drives me ****ing potty at times!

ReputationRep:
    Oh, so close!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    The Basel supporters are so annoying.

ReputationRep:
    Tell me about it...

ReputationRep:
    Too complacent.

ReputationRep:
    Bad bad defensive positioning for that goal. Time to bring on the Matanator imo.

ReputationRep:
    Oh **** I didn't even realise they scored. I went afk near 45 mins because I didn't think anything significant would happen.

ReputationRep:
    We've been very poor this half. Don't think we'll lose though. Should get a good reaction in the second half I feel. We should have finished this game off in the first leg.

Anyway I'm disappointed. Why were none of luiz and lampard marking the egyptian midfielder. He had so much space to move and was then able to get the pass. He should have been closed down by one of the two to pressure him and considering his composed passing during the first half they should have taken more care. Also defence shouldn't have been turned by that half turn from salah so easily. Good goal from basel though.

This counterattacking style isn't really working. Think we should press a little more and try to hold onto possession. Maybe oscar to come on in the second half for ramires(I forgot he was on the pitch) as he offers way more than ramires on the wing.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 11, 2014
Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.