The Student Room Group

Not receiving iMessages when I don't have wifi

Hi,

Lately I'm having a really annoying problem with my iPhone. If I don't have wifi (don't have data on my contract so only ever use wifi) I won't receive texts off friends that have iPhones until I get back home or to Uni and connect to the wifi there. Anyone got an ideas why?

I know there's a thing which says if you don't have wifi your phone will send the iMessage as a text instead, which is fine and it works. But how can I get it so I receive them as texts when I don't have wifi myself?

Thanks
Original post by Law_student93
Hi,

Lately I'm having a really annoying problem with my iPhone. If I don't have wifi (don't have data on my contract so only ever use wifi) I won't receive texts off friends that have iPhones until I get back home or to Uni and connect to the wifi there. Anyone got an ideas why?

I know there's a thing which says if you don't have wifi your phone will send the iMessage as a text instead, which is fine and it works. But how can I get it so I receive them as texts when I don't have wifi myself?

Thanks

iMessage only works when your iPhone is connected to the internet. If you don't have data on your phone contract, you won't be able to use iMessage. iMessage needs an internet signal for it to function. If you wish to receive texts from other iPhones when you're not on WiFi, if you turn iMessage off, you'll still receive them as normal text messages.
Reply 2
that's just like asking 'why can't I use the Internet being offline'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by timmy-scott
iMessage only works when your iPhone is connected to the internet. If you don't have data on your phone contract, you won't be able to use iMessage. iMessage needs an internet signal for it to function. If you wish to receive texts from other iPhones when you're not on WiFi, if you turn iMessage off, you'll still receive them as normal text messages.

This was the first thing I tried. Turned iMessages off completely and all the messages were held until I turned it back on again.
Reply 4
If other people have the setting "send as SMS when imessage is unavailable" switched off then their's won't send as texts, they'll just come through as imessages when you get wifi. Nothing you can do about it really besides tell your friends you can't receive imessages so to text you instead.
Reply 5
I just turn it off so everything just comes through as texts, so much easier than the hassle and constant delay of iMessage
Why do you have an iPhone without a data plan?

I'm guessing fashion statement.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending