Question and images below
Reply 1
Original post by Sha.xo527
Question and images below

My question is about part b)
E07C2B97-545E-4496-A3A1-8EE6668C13FA.jpeg
The solution is here:
C52F9355-90F7-4674-AA55-9D9DE7E08C2B.jpeg
I understood everything from the solution until the last two lines about the discriminant not being a square. Why does the discriminant not being a square mean there are no values of n that (blah blah blah)? Is it because a non-square discriminant gives a decimal (non-integer)? That wouldn’t make sense because let’s say hypothetically you plug in 4, a square number- that would still give you a decimal, so why does the discriminant being non-square mean there are no values of n that (blah blah blah)?
Reply 2
Original post by Sha.xo527
My question is about part b)
E07C2B97-545E-4496-A3A1-8EE6668C13FA.jpeg
The solution is here:
C52F9355-90F7-4674-AA55-9D9DE7E08C2B.jpeg
I understood everything from the solution until the last two lines about the discriminant not being a square. Why does the discriminant not being a square mean there are no values of n that (blah blah blah)? Is it because a non-square discriminant gives a decimal (non-integer)? That wouldn’t make sense because let’s say hypothetically you plug in 4, a square number- that would still give you a decimal, so why does the discriminant being non-square mean there are no values of n that (blah blah blah)?

Duplicate post. As I tried to hint at, the discirimiant being square is a necessary but not sufficient condition for n being an integer. As per the other thread, why not simply work through the quadratic formula parts (-b +/-sqrt(discriminant))/2a, with a few values if necessary, and think about when it evaluates to an integer or not.
(edited 6 months ago)
i dont think this is AS
Reply 4
Original post by mqb2766
Duplicate post. As I tried to hint at, the discirimiant being square is a necessary but not sufficient condition for n being an integer. As per the other thread, why not simply work through the quadratic formula parts (-b +/-sqrt(discriminant))/2a, with a few values if necessary, and think about when it evaluates to an integer or not.

Oh It’s a duplicate? I posted the original one at school but didn’t receive any replies, so I assumed that because of school wifi, it didn’t post. Thank you for your replies!
Reply 5
Original post by jennaa21
i dont think this is AS

It’s from my AS book :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest