The Student Room Group

Is helping the opposite gender considered cheating

Hi so I was hanging out with my partner of 9 months when I received a phone call from a friend who I used to know at my old workplace we barely used to be friends and would speak every now and then the call lasts around 20 minutes and my partner asks who it was acknowledging I made an obvious mistake I say it was nothing but she thinking that helping someone and in the company of your girlfriend is considered cheating especially to helping resolving another girl problems as she came to me for help is this 1. Disrespectful 2. Considered Cheating and 3. Do you think she’ll come back to me over this as I find it harsh.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hi so I was hanging out with my partner of 9 months when I received a phone call from a friend who I used to know at my old workplace we barely used to be friends and would speak every now and then the call lasts around 20 minutes and my partner asks who it was acknowledging I made an obvious mistake I say it was nothing but she thinking that helping someone and in the company of your girlfriend is considered cheating especially to helping resolving another girl problems as she came to me for help is this 1. Disrespectful 2. Considered Cheating and 3. Do you think she’ll come back to me over this as I find it harsh.

it's literally none of the above unless we're missing some details... you just interacted in a friendly manner with another human being. like, regardless of the gender of that person all you did was chat?? if you're girlfriend isn't letting you INTERACT with other women then yikes, don't want to extrapolate but i would leave
Reply 2
In my opinion it's a little bit disrespectful, perhaps explain the situation to your partner first or ask if you can help later instead of immediately answering the call and helping. I personally cannot see how how that can be considered cheating (feel free to disagree) , that sounds kind of controlling. If she doesn't come back to you, then perhaps you dodged a bullet. Hope everything works out.
Reply 3
it's literally none of the above unless we're missing some details... you just interacted in a friendly manner with another human being. like, regardless of the gender of that person all you did was chat?? if you're girlfriend isn't letting you INTERACT with other women then yikes, don't want to extrapolate but i would leave

My girlfriend the one I want to have a future with to marry yet she doesn’t believe me I showed her physical proof too what do I do it has mentally impacted me and I have been crying since.
Reply 4
Original post by MrWinner
In my opinion it's a little bit disrespectful, perhaps explain the situation to your partner first or ask if you can help later instead of immediately answering the call and helping. I personally cannot see how how that can be considered cheating (feel free to disagree) , that sounds kind of controlling. If she doesn't come back to you, then perhaps you dodged a bullet. Hope everything works out.

genuine question i don't mean to come across as rude, why do you think it is disrespectful?
Reply 5

Do you think she’ll come back and if any instance what do I do to prepare for the inevitable…
Reply 6
genuine question i don't mean to come across as rude, why do you think it is disrespectful?

My girlfriend thinks that is disrespectful.
Reply 7
I mean her best friend tagged her to a chat for her to talk to her best friend man via messaging I don’t have any issues with that but she has issues with me answering a call to a friend who I used to work with and isn’t as close and was only asking for some personal advice and help in regards to family matters.
This isn't cheating.
Reply 9
Original post by 1582
This isn't cheating.

I feel so down and stupid and dumb and guilty she has not been talking to me since :frown:
Reply 10

I help people all the time - it's not cheating it's being a human. [I'm married and we both help friends of either gender]
Reply 11
Original post by Muttley79
I help people all the time - it's not cheating it's being a human. [I'm married and we both help friends of either gender]

I literally helped with her knowing my phone password the social media that I use which is snap, whatsapp and tiktok and knowing I only speak to 3 girls, 2 being friends from my old workplace as mentioned and my sister yet she thinks this is cheating will she come back :frown:
Reply 12
I literally helped with her knowing my phone password the social media that I use which is snap, whatsapp and tiktok and knowing I only speak to 3 girls, 2 being friends from my old workplace as mentioned and my sister yet she thinks this is cheating will she come back :frown:

I even showed her proof of screenshots of the actual conversation which showed no flirtatious messages just reassurance, guidance and helpful tips and advice yet this is being considered cheating she hadn’t spoken for 3 days till I initiated to speak to her today before she told me why she didn’t spoke what do you think guys is she coming back 🥺😭💔
Reply 13

I think it's a bit disrespectful because your partner is important to you and you're supposed to be paying attention to them, by taking the call it can be interpreted as you not being interested in them or valuing someone else over your partner. That being said, its only slightly disrespectful and it sounds like the response was disproportionate.
Reply 14
I even showed her proof of screenshots of the actual conversation which showed no flirtatious messages just reassurance, guidance and helpful tips and advice yet this is being considered cheating she hadn’t spoken for 3 days till I initiated to speak to her today before she told me why she didn’t spoke what do you think guys is she coming back
You have not done anything wrong so if she doesn't come back then there's nothing you can do, it's her loss. Also, it's important that you don't become too desperate and worry about it too much, these things happen and I'm sure you'll find someone else if she doesn't change her mind, don't grovel or apologise too much.

You have not done anything wrong so if she doesn't come back then there's nothing you can do, it's her loss. Also, it's important that you don't become too desperate and worry about it too much, these things happen and I'm sure you'll find someone else if she doesn't change her mind, don't grovel or apologise too much.
Reply 15

Thank you so much :frown: but she was the one that I wanted a future with how of all those would not understand.
Reply 16
I think it's a bit disrespectful because your partner is important to you and you're supposed to be paying attention to them, by taking the call it can be interpreted as you not being interested in them or valuing someone else over your partner. That being said, its only slightly disrespectful and it sounds like the response was disproportionate.

I mean she’s my number one priority and I would never lose interest for her for someone else though I can see where your coming from.
Reply 17

Do you really want to be with someone that freaks out when you help someone? I think she has the problem, not you.
Reply 18
Original post by Muttley79
Do you really want to be with someone that freaks out when you help someone? I think she has the problem, not you.

She was the one thinking helping cheating but is there a point where she’s coming from or do I just completely forget about it and assume she’s not coming back.
Reply 19
She was the one thinking helping cheating but is there a point where she’s coming from or do I just completely forget about it and assume she’s not coming back.

No, she lacks humanity - everyone helps their friends and it's not cheating. She would need to apologise - you did nothing wrong.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending