The Student Room Group

*GRADUATE ENTRY MEDICS* - How does it feel to be an 'older' medic?

Hi!

Ill be starting a Biomedical course in September, for the purpose of graduate entry medicine! (I also just LOVE microbiology in a Medical context! :biggrin:)
Ill be turning 24 by the time ill be starting medicine if I was lucky enough to get in, and just about 30 after FY1 and FY2.

I just have a couple of questions :smile:

1.) why did you choose this path? Was it a choice or misfortune in secondary/further education?

2.) For those who planned it, how did you keep yourselves from going insane whilst studying your first degree, when you were desperate to study Medicine?

3.) Is there prejudice towards graduate medics?

4.) Have you ever felt too 'old' or has the worth if medicine just never left?

*edit* - How did you manage to raise that 3,500 for first year?

Thanks all! :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by becky1237

1.) why did you choose this path? Was it a choice or misfortune in secondary/further education?

I was used to getting very good grades and being top of the class whilst doing absolutely no work until the end of GCSEs. That meant that when A levels rolled round I didn't really have any idea how to work or revise or anything - I was basically an inefficient worker. Natural talent helped me do well in some subjects, but in others (most notably chemistry, which I didn't like anyway), it led to very average marks which weren't good enough for medicine.

2.) For those who planned it, how did you keep yourselves from going insane whilst studying your first degree, when you were desperate to study Medicine?

I think I did go insane a few times :p: I don't know, I didn't do anything consciously...I just kept telling myself that if I could get a 2:1 I'd eventually get where I wanted to be. Luckily that's what did happen.

There were certainly many moments during my previous degree when I felt totally disengaged and bored beyond belief. I really enjoyed my university experience and loved my uni...but the degree itself? Not so much. Mind you, things did pick up by final year when we had some interesting modules, I got to pick my dissertation topic etc. But the first 2 years were pretty rough at times.

No.

Not in the slightest. It is the norm in the USA for medics to graduate at 26 since all medical courses are graduate entry over there. Even here if you don't get in the first time at 18, take a gap year then do medicine with an intercalated degree you'll graduate at 25...which is the same age as a graduate entry medic who goes into medicine straight after their first degree.

Considering we'll all be working till we're 68 anyway, I don't see what difference it makes whether you start at 23 or 26 frankly.

Mostly savings and help from family.
(edited 10 years ago)
Hi!

Ill be starting a Biomedical course in September, for the purpose of graduate entry medicine! (I also just LOVE microbiology in a Medical context! :biggrin:)
Ill be turning 24 by the time ill be starting medicine if I was lucky enough to get in, and just about 30 after FY1 and FY2.

1. Didn't want to do medicine until much older. Did a degree when I was 18 then post-grad in computing that led to 11 year career in I.T. Wanted medicine but deemed too old at that time (pre-GEM/P) so did Biology degree and MRes with a view to research career. At end of MRes decided to apply as age restriction lifted and since wanted to stay in Scotland applied for the 5 year and now 2nd year.

2. N/A. See above.

3. Haven't found that at all. Probably the opposite to be honest as have more life experience etc.

4. Sometimes I do but then I'm 40+ but there are others I know who started later than I did and now qualified and loving it.

5.Have partner who financially supports and helps me. Pay just under £1285 p.a. and get rest from SAAS (rules have changed now) but for Scotland/Scottish grads in Scottish med schools it is £1820 p.a. now.

hth
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Democracy
I was used to getting very good grades and being top of the class whilst doing absolutely no work until the end of GCSEs. That meant that when A levels rolled round I didn't really have any idea how to work or revise or anything - I was basically an inefficient worker. Natural talent helped me do well in some subjects, but in others (most notably chemistry, which I didn't like anyway), it led to very average marks which weren't good enough for medicine.

I think I did go insane a few times :p: I don't know, I didn't do anything consciously...I just kept telling myself that if I could get a 2:1 I'd eventually get where I wanted to be. Luckily that's what did happen.

There were certainly many moments during my previous degree when I felt totally disengaged and bored beyond belief. I really enjoyed my university experience and loved my uni...but the degree itself? Not so much. Mind you, things did pick up by final year when we had some interesting modules, I got to pick my dissertation topic etc. But the first 2 years were pretty rough at times.

No.

Not in the slightest. It is the norm in the USA for medics to graduate at 26 since all medical courses are graduate entry over there. Even here if you don't get in the first time at 18, take a gap year then do medicine with an intercalated degree you'll graduate at 25...which is the same age as a graduate entry medic who goes into medicine straight after their first degree.

Considering we'll all be working till we're 68 anyway, I don't see what difference it makes whether you start at 23 or 26 frankly.

Mostly savings and help from family.

Thanks for the reply, Democracy!

The very same happened to me. Until of course my family went to **** - I ended up with a C and B in double award science, hated college, dropped out and then couldn't attend any colleges to study A-Levels because of the damn C. I had to do an access course, but I guess it will get me to where I need to be.
I didn't get into two universities this time around due to my lack of voluntary experience - at least I have 3 years to sort that out!

Ill be starting a very long 3 years in September. I just keep telling myself I have very little time to become the ideal candidate I need to be, and it'll come around soon. Similarly, my course will be like yours in the final year, so that's good news. What was your previous degree?
I do wonder if it matters where your degree is from. I hope not.

That's great stuff to hear, I have an ******* friend who continually puts me down because I have to do Graduate entry. Bearing in mind, she's doing art.

How was the application process? We're there a lot of competitive characters? I applied to stuff like clinical sciences and foundation programmes - I met some 'characters'.

Well done for getting through it all! It must feel fantastic.
Reply 4

What was your previous degree?

Biomedical sciences.

I do wonder if it matters where your degree is from. I hope not.

It doesn't matter in the slightest, there are people in my year who went to Oxbridge and people who went to unis ranked right at the bottom of the league tables. The med schools don't care :nah:

That's great stuff to hear, I have an ******* friend who continually puts me down because I have to do Graduate entry. Bearing in mind, she's doing art.

Doesn't sound like much of a friend to me. Still, haters gonna hate - don't let it get you down!

How was the application process? We're there a lot of competitive characters? I applied to stuff like clinical sciences and foundation programmes - I met some 'characters'.

The applications process only became truly stressful in the three weeks or so between having my interviews and hearing back from the med schools. Until that point however, it wasn't that bad. I did my UKCAT over the summer, wrote my PS, sent off my UCAS form then kept busy with other things. I got my interview invites in December and January, and was interviewed in February. Got offers in March. It felt like a lot of hoops to jump through but I thought it would be a lot worse tbh. But I made sure to apply to med schools I was pretty certain I'd get interviews at - I can't emphasise enough how important it is to apply strategically, it certainly helps reduce the stress a bit.

Well done for getting through it all! It must feel fantastic.

Quick Reply

Latest