Manchester

foundation physics manchester uni

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by JuliusDS92
Yes

Yes

No

It's very difficult to say: it depends on your work ethic and how capable you are in maths/physics. The people running the foundation programme think that a pass mark of 75% is worth A*A*A at A-level, which is one way to try and think about it.

Yes! :smile:
You're a lifesaver! :smile: two more questions hahaha, is the 75 percent thing the only criteria, they dont have a level requirements do they? (except for entry to foundation?) and are you enjoying it? Youve helped me a lot thanks :smile: :smile:
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Original post by JBrazier
You're a lifesaver! :smile: two more questions hahaha, is the 75 percent thing the only criteria, they dont have a level requirements do they? (except for entry to foundation?) and are you enjoying it? Youve helped me a lot thanks :smile: :smile:

If you've been admitted onto the course, then 75% is the only criteria for progression :smile:

I completed the foundation year earlier this year. I'm glad I did it, although I'm not sure how much I enjoyed it. I did find the stress of having to get high marks a little difficult to deal with, although I think that's more to do with my own obsessive mental state :tongue: I'd also already covered a lot of the material we were being taught, which meant it was at times quite dull. The material became lots more fun in semester 2, though.
Reply 22
If you've been admitted onto the course, then 75% is the only criteria for progression :smile:

I completed the foundation year earlier this year. I'm glad I did it, although I'm not sure how much I enjoyed it. I did find the stress of having to get high marks a little difficult to deal with, although I think that's more to do with my own obsessive mental state :tongue: I'd also already covered a lot of the material we were being taught, which meant it was at times quite dull. The material became lots more fun in semester 2, though.

Iv just been to the open day for foundation year. They told us about the modules u hav to take if u want to do physics. Would I definitely get to choose the physics stream ????? They said physics id the most popular one. If everyone who got on to the year wanted to do physics they would be allowed to take the physics route right? Do I choose my degree choice for definite and my choice of modules. Theres no competition for the physics route is there? Will I be definitely doing the physics route if I want to?
Iv just been to the open day for foundation year. They told us about the modules u hav to take if u want to do physics. Would I definitely get to choose the physics stream ????? They said physics id the most popular one. If everyone who got on to the year wanted to do physics they would be allowed to take the physics route right? Do I choose my degree choice for definite and my choice of modules. Theres no competition for the physics route is there? Will I be definitely doing the physics route if I want to?

Why don't you ask them? I think an answer from the people who run the course will put your mind at rest more than I can.
Heya

Im applying for the foundation year this year I. How many lectures were there a week (in hours)?

Ill be living about an hour away from Oxford Road and I will have to commute by train, but i might move in if ill be traveling everyday. Were there any days off or were you in everyday? Would there be days you went in later or left earlier?

Thanks alot.
Reply 25
Why don't you ask them? I think an answer from the people who run the course will put your mind at rest more than I can.

Whats it like in the sackville street building, is it nice/ ie not falling to pieces? we do study in there dont we? I dont think they would let me look around-
Whats it like in the sackville street building, is it nice/ ie not falling to pieces? we do study in there dont we? I dont think they would let me look around-

Sackville Street Building is lovely, though a maze of corridors once you get inside.

There's nothing to physically stop you wandering in and having a look around if you wish, though if you were to do that you should remember that I believe part of the building is no longer in use, so it won't all be up to scratch (but that doesn't matter because you won't be in those bits). They're gradually moving people and departments from north campus (where SSB is) to the main campus, hence why it's partly empty.

In subsequent years, you'll be predominantly in Schuster Building

They're currently doing up the inside, so it's substantially nicer inside than it is outside :smile:
Reply 27
In the bits i will be in (sackville), whats it like ? is it a modern refurbished lecture theatres/ classrooms/ or traditional wood/1960s? is it modern with those purple lecture theatre seats and projector/computers? :smile: :smile:
im just trying to create an image of what it would be like to study there:smile:
In the bits i will be in (sackville), whats it like ? is it a modern refurbished lecture theatres/ classrooms/ or traditional wood/1960s? is it modern with those purple lecture theatre seats and projector/computers? :smile: :smile:
im just trying to create an image of what it would be like to study there:smile:

I very rarely have to go to SSB, but last time I went the lecture theatre I was in was modern, with purple padded seats, projector and a computer. I can't say that's the same in every lecture theatre in SSB (I don't know - I've not been to them all), but TBH I'm yet to come across a UoM lecture that doesn't have at least a computer and projector in, and I can only remember one that has pew-style seating (and that wasn't in a building that you're likely to be in anyway).
Reply 29
I got an offer for BBB - but I will almost certainly get BBC - will I get rejected? :s-smilie:
I will also be attending this program from September :smile: I am very excited and I hope to proceed to a Physics degree. I am a European student from Greece. See you all there!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending