The Student Room Group

Aerospace engineering with a foundation year

Hi, i have questions about which unis i should apply for for aerospace engineering with a foundation year. And whether i would have to do an interview and the likeliood of being accepted.

I am currently in year 13 and study A Level Psychology, Biology and Chemistry with predicted grades A*BB

I have GCSE Maths at grade 7 and combined science at 88. I have three grade 6's and two grade 5's.

Which unis should i apply to to be guaranteed a place without a interview and other i should apply to?
Original post by Zahrax321
Hi, i have questions about which unis i should apply for for aerospace engineering with a foundation year. And whether i would have to do an interview and the likeliood of being accepted.

I am currently in year 13 and study A Level Psychology, Biology and Chemistry with predicted grades A*BB

I have GCSE Maths at grade 7 and combined science at 88. I have three grade 6's and two grade 5's.

Which unis should i apply to to be guaranteed a place without a interview and other i should apply to?

There is no uni to which you could apply and be gauanteed a place, nor is there a uni to which could apply and be gauanteed a conditional offer.

If you apply to unis solely based upon the highest likelihood of being accepted, then you will end up at the uni to which fewest other candidates applied. Is that really where you want to be studying?
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
There is no uni to which you could apply and be gauanteed a place, nor is there a uni to which could apply and be gauanteed a conditional offer.

If you apply to unis solely based upon the highest likelihood of being accepted, then you will end up at the uni to which fewest other candidates applied. Is that really where you want to be studying?

Hi,
I would like to go to a uni that is close to where i live so i can either drive there or take the train. But i also want a to have a chance of being given an offer. For my first choice i would go with my highest predicted grades and for my insurance i would go for lower grades or tariff points
(edited 4 months ago)
Hi,
I would like to go to a uni that is close to where i live so i can either drive there or take the train. But i also want a to have a chance of being given an offer. For my first choice i would go with my highest predicted grades and for my insurance i would go for lower grades or tariff points

OK. And what area of the country would be "close to where i live"?
Reply 4
OK. And what area of the country would be

I live in west yorkshire but do not mind taking the train as long as the cost is manageable.
I was thinking of applying to sheffield and Lancaster
(edited 3 months ago)
I live in west yorkshire but do not mind taking the train as long as the cost is manageable.
I was thinking of applying to sheffield and Lancaster

OK. I wouldn't advise applying to Lancaster as they don't offer an Aerospace Engineering degree. :wink: You can see the list of engineering degrees they do offer here.

Sheffield offer Aerospace Engineering with a Foundation Year (details here), where you can choose the three-year BEng or four-year MEng variant upon completion of the foundation year. For this course they state the A level entry requirements as BBB (which you clearly exceed) in any three subjects. (They also have a BBC offer, but that requires A level Maths, which you don't have.)

As you aren't doing Maths at A level, Sheffield require "GCSE science grade 6/B and Maths grade 7/A" - requirements which you meet.

There is no interview.

I'd say you have a good chance of an offer from Sheffield. However, as I said earlier, nothing is guaranteed.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 6
OK. I wouldn't advise applying to Lancaster as they don't offer an Aerospace Engineering degree. :wink: You can see the list of engineering degrees they do offer here.

Sheffield offer Aerospace Engineering with a Foundation Year (details here), where you can choose the three-year BEng or four-year MEng variant upon completion of the foundation year. For this course they state the A level entry requirements as BBB (which you clearly exceed) in any three subjects. (They also have a BBC offer, but that requires A level Maths, which you don't have.)

As you aren't doing Maths at A level, Sheffield require "GCSE science grade 6/B and Maths grade 7/A" - requirements which you meet.

There is no interview.

I'd say you have a good chance of an offer from Sheffield. However, as I said earlier, nothing is guaranteed.

What other unis are close to Yorkshire that offer this course that you think I should apply to. I was thinking manchester
What other unis are close to Yorkshire that offer this course that you think I should apply to. I was thinking manchester

Manchester's BEng/MEng Aerospace Engineering with an Integrated Foundation Year (details here) is a good option. Their grade requirements vary, depending on how many of their preferred A level subjects you have. You meet the requirements for "Grades ABB where a student has 1 relevant subject", by virtue of the fact that you're taking Chemistry.

You might also like to consider:

Aerospace Engineering (Foundation Entry) at University of Central Lancashire (details).
Aerospace Engineering with Foundation Year at Sheffield Hallam University (details).
Aerospace Engineering (with Foundation Year) BEng (Hons) at Teesside University (details).

Your predicted grades far exceed their requirements, which means you're very likely to get offers from these three. In fact, you may meet their entry requirements for the standard three-year (non-foundation) courses at them. (I haven't checked).
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 8
Manchester's BEng/MEng Aerospace Engineering with an Integrated Foundation Year (details here) is a good option. Their grade requirements vary, depending on how many of their preferred A level subjects you have. You meet the requirements for "Grades ABB where a student has 1 relevant subject", by virtue of the fact that you're taking Chemistry.

You might also like to consider:

Aerospace Engineering (Foundation Entry) at University of Central Lancashire (details).
Aerospace Engineering with Foundation Year at Sheffield Hallam University (details).
Aerospace Engineering (with Foundation Year) BEng (Hons) at Teesside University (details).

Your predicted grades far exceed their requirements, which means you're very likely to get offers from these three. In fact, you may meet their entry requirements for the standard three-year (non-foundation) courses at them. (I haven't checked).

For the standard course do I need A Levels maths?
For the standard course do I need A Levels maths?

I don't mean to be rude, but you need to learn to do at least some of this research yourself. :wink:

Just visit the web site of each of these unis and check.
Reply 10
I don't mean to be rude, but you need to learn to do at least some of this research yourself. :wink:

Just visit the web site of each of these unis and check.

I have checked. But when iv looked they all require A Level maths and I can't find anything about whether they need an interview. So you have helped me with that for Sheffield which I am considering a choice.
But as I said before I think most of the undergraduate aerospace engineering courses require A Level maths.
(edited 3 months ago)
I have checked. But when iv looked they all require A Level maths and I can't find anything about whether they need an interview. So you have helped me with that for Sheffield which I am considering a choice.
But as I said before I think most of the undergraduate aerospace engineering courses require A Level maths.

Understood. Then it seems you'll need stick to with those courses which include a foundation year.
Reply 12
Understood. Then it seems you'll need stick to with those courses which include a foundation year.

So you think I have a good chance with 1. Sheffield 2. UCLAN 3. Manchester 4. Sheffield hallam 5. I'm not sure
Also do these unis require an interview I think Manchester does
(edited 3 months ago)
So you think I have a good chance with 1. Sheffield 2. UCLAN 3. Manchester 4. Sheffield hallam 5. I'm not sure
Also do these unis require an interview I think Manchester does

Manchester do make reference to an interview on the page for the course, so an interview seems likely. Note that they also say the following, which may apply to you:

"Applicants studying BTEC Extended Diplomas, Access to HE Diplomas, or applicants who have not studied mathematics or sciences at A-level (or equivalent) may be asked to complete an academic assessment as part of the application process. The assessment takes the form of an online, invigilated, multiple-choice test."

I say "may" as you are not studying Maths or the most relevant science (Physics), although you are studying sciences - so they might decide that they'd like you to sit the above test, and they might not.

I think you have a good chance of gaining offers.
Reply 14
Manchester do make reference to an interview on the page for the course, so an interview seems likely. Note that they also say the following, which may apply to you:

"Applicants studying BTEC Extended Diplomas, Access to HE Diplomas, or applicants who have not studied mathematics or sciences at A-level (or equivalent) may be asked to complete an academic assessment as part of the application process. The assessment takes the form of an online, invigilated, multiple-choice test."

I say "may" as you are not studying Maths or the most relevant science (Physics), although you are studying sciences - so they might decide that they'd like you to sit the above test, and they might not.

I think you have a good chance of gaining offers.

Gaining offers for the universities I am thinking of applying to?

Do you know the ranks of these universities and which ones may require an interview

Also is Bath the best university for aerospace engineering?
(edited 3 months ago)
Gaining offers for the universities I am thinking of applying to?

Do you know the ranks of these universities and which ones may require an interview

Also is Bath the best university for aerospace engineering?

1. Yes.

2. The problem with rankings is that they're based upon what someone else thinks is important, not what you think is important. As a result, different sources use different criteria and different weightings and so provide different rankings. For example:
The Complete University Guide
The Guardian

3. I don't know which interview, no. Not without checking their web sites, which I'm sure you can do just as easily as I can.

4. Not according to either of those rankings.

Quick Reply

Latest