The Student Room Group

Entering physics related courses with BTEC Extended Applied Science only

I have asked this question before and people gave me positive answers but I still have my doubts. I want to do physics in uni or astronomy or both, issue is I am only studying BTEC Extended Applied Science diploma. I have been told I can still apply but when I looked into entry requirements it says I need more than just the BTEC. Btw my BTEC is equivalent to 3 A levels. What do you guys think?
Original post by Giyu
I have asked this question before and people gave me positive answers but I still have my doubts. I want to do physics in uni or astronomy or both, issue is I am only studying BTEC Extended Applied Science diploma. I have been told I can still apply but when I looked into entry requirements it says I need more than just the BTEC. Btw my BTEC is equivalent to 3 A levels. What do you guys think?

When people gave you advice previously, did they say where you could apply with just a BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Applied Science?

Are those the same universities which you've now noticed want more than just the BTEC? Or are you now looking at different universities?

With BTEC two things are essential.
(1) Knowing exactly which BTEC you're referring to (which you seem to know).
(2) Knowing exactly which universities you're referring to.

To which universities were you hoping to apply?
Reply 2
I was considering Cardiff uni and even more prestigious universities such as Queen Mary.
A-level Maths or equivalent is going to be essential. That's probably the biggest potential barrier for direct entry. Also something to be aware of for your own sake - physics at degree level has much more in common with A-level Maths than most other school courses you'll have done. You'll be doing calculus, solving differential equations, doing matrix algebra etc every day in a physics degree!

In any case, lots of unis have physics degrees available with a foundation year, which may accept you on the basis of the BTEC only. Some universities with notable physics courses that also routinely have foundation year routes to degrees (although that I can't guarantee currently have physics with foundation year courses - you'll need to double check!) include Manchester, Birmingham, and Southampton.
Original post by Giyu
I was considering Cardiff uni and even more prestigious universities such as Queen Mary.

If you've been led to believe that you can gain entry to the BSc Physics course at either of those unis with just a BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Applied Science, and no A levels, then I'm afraid you've been misinformed. :frown:

You might be able to gain access to the "BSc Physics with Foundation" course at Queen Mary, though. See here for details of which BTECs they accept for which courses.
Reply 5
Original post by artful_lounger
A-level Maths or equivalent is going to be essential. That's probably the biggest potential barrier for direct entry. Also something to be aware of for your own sake - physics at degree level has much more in common with A-level Maths than most other school courses you'll have done. You'll be doing calculus, solving differential equations, doing matrix algebra etc every day in a physics degree!

In any case, lots of unis have physics degrees available with a foundation year, which may accept you on the basis of the BTEC only. Some universities with notable physics courses that also routinely have foundation year routes to degrees (although that I can't guarantee currently have physics with foundation year courses - you'll need to double check!) include Manchester, Birmingham, and Southampton.

That's fine because I already have accepted that to get to the degree I will have to go with foundation years. But what are my chances to get in foundation years with BTEC anyway?
Reply 6
Original post by DataVenia
If you've been led to believe that you can gain entry to the BSc Physics course at either of those unis with just a BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Applied Science, and no A levels, then I'm afraid you've been misinformed. :frown:

You might be able to gain access to the "BSc Physics with Foundation" course at Queen Mary, though. See here for details of which BTECs they accept for which courses.

Ah sorry, I forgot to mention that I am applying for foundation because I kno that getting into a degree immediately would not work. But what do you think my chances are ?
Original post by Giyu
That's fine because I already have accepted that to get to the degree I will have to go with foundation years. But what are my chances to get in foundation years with BTEC anyway?

Probably same as anyone else, provided they accept BTECs generally for it. They might want to see you have done well in maths in the past though I suppose?
Reply 8
Original post by artful_lounger
Probably same as anyone else, provided they accept BTECs generally for it. They might want to see you have done well in maths in the past though I suppose?

I do have a B in GCSE maths. Not sure if that will drag me down
Original post by Giyu
I do have a B in GCSE maths. Not sure if that will drag me down

It's better than a C so, probably minimally ok...will just need to apply and see :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending