The Student Room Group

Can I study Mechanical Engineering at uni with DDD?

Is there any good uni's that will take you if your grades are straight D's? (Maths, Physics, Psychology). Most courses I've looked at (in Loughborough, Manchester, Sheffield) require BBB-A*AA. Manchester offers a foundation year for BBC grades.

Someone please help!! (currently in Year12)
Whilst some universities will accept foundation years for slightly reduced grades, most foundation years are targeted at students who haven’t taken the correct A-level subjects.

At any good standard mechanical engineering course your maths skills are going to be very important, id primarily focus on trying to get your grades and level up, you have until January to submit your UCAS application so focus on why you haven’t been able to achieve grades you need and a strategy to get stronger on the content.
Hi @jaffa06 ,
The best thing you can do is study hard and try to achieve the highest marks you can but also consider applying through clearing next year. Most universities will offer available spaces onto courses with slightly lower tariffs. I can't guarantee how low the entrance requirements will be during clearing but they will be lower and you may be able to get an offer for a foundation course.

When you apply through UCAS , do your research thoroughly and pick 3 schools you want to go to and then pick 2 back up schools with slightly lower entrance requirements. That way you give yourself a higher chance of being able to study the course you are interested in. If you do not get any offers wait till clearing and apply to other universities.

Good luck with your future studies ! And remember it's more important for you to become an accredited engineer than it is to study at a specific university.

Cece
De Montfort University
Energy Engineering student
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest