The Student Room Group

Do people have the moral 'right' to call each other fat?

Something that has increasingly been bothering me is when people need to comment on each others weight. For example, "are you watching your weight?", "don't eat chocolate, think of the calories", or even more offensively... "you would be more attractive if it wasn't for the size". :mad: (Just because someone is big it doesn't mean they're automatically going to be ugly).

The only concerns which I think are valid: 1) you're going out with the person, 2) you're funding their eating or food, or 3) genuine health concern.

Other than that, KEEP YOUR NOSE OUT OF OTHER PEOPLE'S BUSINESS. :haughty:

EDIT: I don't oppose their freedom of speech to say it, but I don't think they should expect others to accept it or change to suit them.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
are you fat OP?
I don't know about a moral "right", but I think people who make such comments are rude. Of course, they have the right to free speech, but that doesn't make them any nicer for exercising (sorry for the pun there) that right.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
I say live and let live tbh.
Reply 4
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
I don't know about a moral "right", but I think people who make such comments are rude. Of course, they the right to free speech, but that doesn't make them any nicer for exercising (sorry for the pun there) that right.

Completely agree with free speech. I should have said that.

I find it annoying when people make those comments to each other, but then expect them to follow, and thank their savior for encouraging them to lose weight. :rolleyes: When people already know their own size, so I don't know what they're trying to gain from it...
Reply 5
I used to get 'Wow, you're really pretty for a big girl' haha! Eh, NOT a compliment! :tongue:

Now that I've lost weight I feel better and I'd rather someone told me if I looked like I was putting on a bit, just so I can keep up with my healthier lifestyle.
But yeah, I see where you're coming from.
Reply 6
Original post by zz_
are you fat OP?

Guess.
I'm all for freedom of speech but if you have that freedom you should be responsible. It's rude to say that stuff but at the same time some people are undeniably overweight, it's about how you say things. Being mean isn't likely to make someone go on a diet. On the flip side though, I have been told on more than one occasion by overweight people I need to eat more and gain weight. Very rude to assume I would want to be overweight...
Fat=Unhealthy. Fat=No self respect. Fat=Unnattractive. Fat=Inconsiderate. Lose some weight for Christ's sake.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by CaptainDudeson
Fat=Unhelthy.

Wrong.

Fat=No self respect.

:lolwut:

You don't base your self-worth on your looks. If you do you're shallow.

Fat=Unnatractive.

Wrong. Is this a serious point?

Fat=Inconsiderate.

How does it affect you? :rofl:

Lose some weight for Christ's sake.

I've always hated this phrase, but it's a perfect time to use it, you've got an attitude problem.
Original post by Iron Lady
Wrong.

No it isn't.

:lolwut:

You don't base your self-worth on your looks. If you do you're shallow.

Not self worth. Self respect. You clearly have little respect for yourself if you allow yourself to be fat.

Wrong. Is this a serious point?

Yes it is, very much so.

How does it affect you? :rofl:

They take up too much space and eat more than they need to.

I've always hated this phrase, but it's a perfect time to use it, you've got an attitude problem.

I don't have an attitude problem. I just don't have time for people who allow themselves to become fat and then complain about being called fat.
Reply 11
I have the right too openly judge people for whatever I like. I have no right for my views to be respected.
Reply 12
Original post by CaptainDudeson
I don't have an attitude problem. I just don't have time for people who allow themselves to become fat and then complain about being called fat.

But it's not a crime and it doesn't affect you. Where do we draw the line at characteristics do you dislike? If someone wears a hat I don't like, it doesn't give me the right to take that right away from them. So, in other words, it doesn't give others the right to say people should be a certain size just because it doesn't look nice.

I'm not fat by the way, I just don't see why it's 1) anyone else's business when it's arbitrary and a personal choice, and 2) your suggestion that they don't have self-respect is silly because they may be hard-working, successful, etc.

Also, you don't need to change your opinion, but other people shouldn't have to change their size.
Reply 13
"Don't complain about the snow on your neighbour's roof if your own doorstep is unclean." - Confucius.

This is a quote I try to live by. Criticising someone about their weight doesn't do anyone any good. "Attacking" them by pointing something out or criticising something they do only makes them dig in their heels and justify why they do what they do. No one truly likes criticism, especially if it isn't constructive or charitable. Overweight people know they are overweight. It's not doing anyone any favours if you point that out, you just come off as someone who fails to understand that everyone has reasons for what they do.
(edited 11 years ago)
I agree with that.

If somebody is fat (not massively obese) and happy, then I honestly don't see the problem. It's their life, they are happy, what on earth has it to do with anybody else?

And I think it's pathetic when people try to score points by putting down fat people.
Fat people are fat for a reason. They ate too much for their body whilst not doing enough exercise. So by criticizing, it is the same as criticizing smokers, or drug addicts. Most people see no problem with doing any of them two, but because fat people try and make it look like it isn't their fault, we have to feel sorry for them. They should get of their ******* arse and do some exercise!
Reply 16
Original post by Fellyjish
"Don't complain about the snow on your neighbour's roof if your own doorstep is unclean." - Confucius.

This is a quote I try to live by. Criticising someone about their weight doesn't do anyone any good. "Attacking" them by pointing something out or criticising something they do only makes them dig in their heels and justify why they do what they do. No one truly likes criticism. Overweight people know they are overweight. It's not constructive if you point that out, you just come off as someone who fails to understand that everyone has reasons for what they do.

Excellent point!

I think people would be rather annoyed if I pointed out their flaws after they pointed out mine... :rolleyes:
I don't think we should be picking and choosing what is acceptable use as and insult and what is not.

Either all abuse/discrimination is unwarranted on none of it is.

For example it would he highly hypocritical to say....

"I detest racism but look at that fat poof over there."
Reply 18
Original post by Blake-inator
Fat people are fat for a reason. They ate too much for their body whilst not doing enough exercise. So by criticizing, it is the same as criticizing smokers, or drug addicts. Most people see no problem with doing any of them two, but because fat people try and make it look like it isn't their fault, we have to feel sorry for them. They should get of their ******* arse and do some exercise!

Nothing wrong with overeating and not exercising, it's their choice - as long as they don't affect others.
Nothing wrong with smoking, it's their choice - as long as they don't hurt others.
Nothing wrong with drug-taking, it's their choice - as long as it's for private use.
Get the picture?

Good for you if you don't want to be fat, it's your choice, and I believe you can disapprove of others choice to do so. But 1) don't expect them to change just because you said so, and 2) don't get upset when they point out your flaws.
Original post by Iron Lady
But it's not a crime and it doesn't affect you. - It does affect me. Fat people are an eye sore. Where do we draw the line at characteristics do you dislike? If someone wears a hat I don't like, it doesn't give me the right to take that right away from them. So, in other words, it doesn't give others the right to say people should be a certain size just because it doesn't look nice. Its not just that it doesn't look nice, it's also unhealthy and puts greater financial strain on the NHS who have to pick up the pieces when a fatso becomes ill.

I'm not fat by the way, Good! I just don't see why it's 1) anyone else's business when it's arbitrary and a personal choice, and 2) your suggestion that they don't have self-respect is silly because they may be hard-working, successful, etc. And? There is a lot more to having self respect than being hard working and successful. If you don't take care of yourself then you have no self respect.

Also, you don't need to change your opinion, but other people shouldn't have to change their size. Yes they should.

I have no respect for fatties because fatties have no respect for themselves. You should treat your body with reverence.

Quick Reply

Latest