The Student Room Group

Would you end all human life instantly if you could?

If you had a button which would end all human life instantly including yourself. would you press it why or why not? I have debates about this with my friend who seems to think it would be the moral decision to do so.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kebab06
If you had a button which would end all human life instantly including yourself. would you press it why or why not? I have debates about this with my friend who seems to think it would be the moral decision to do so.

I wouldn’t. No one has the right to end anyone else’s life, it’s not yours to take

Why do your friends think it’s a moral decision?
Original post by kebab06

No, people just need to accept the fact that the human race will go extinct at some point, rather than trying to deny it but I wouldn’t press a button that made the human race extinct.

If someone else wants to press that button then that’s on them but I won’t press it personally.
Yup, no question.
Has it worked yet? If not I'll resume pressing random buttons.
morals were created by humans and are about how to treat other HUMANS. how can ending all human life be moral. Morality and ethics always has sustaining life and minimising suffering as the highest goal
Original post by ohyegodsmyroast
morals were created by humans and are about how to treat other HUMANS. how can ending all human life be moral. Morality and ethics always has sustaining life and minimising suffering as the highest goal

Existence is suffering.

click
Reply 7
No. What right do I have to murder anyone let alone billions?
Original post by StriderHort
Yup, no question.

Are you sick of humanity?
Original post by Talkative Toad
Are you sick of humanity?

No, just a dark sense of humour and no sense of restraint around buttons. I do admire the simple elegance of it though.
Reply 10
Original post by spectrum84
I wouldn’t. No one has the right to end anyone else’s life, it’s not yours to take

Because he thinks there is a net suffering in the world, and that it would end that for people. he says nobody would care because they would be dead instantly hypothetically.
Reply 11
Original post by kebab06
Because he thinks there is a net suffering in the world, and that it would end that for people. he says nobody would care because they would be dead instantly hypothetically.

I'd be wary of endorsing any argument which seriously holds 'nobody cares when dead' as a premise. It can be utilised in all manner of ghoulish waysl
No, just a dark sense of humour and no sense of restraint around buttons. I do admire the simple elegance of it though.

Fair enough in that case.
Original post by kebab06

It would end the suffering but everyone should have the option to choose for themselves whether they want it to end or not. It’s immoral to take that choice away

It would end the suffering but everyone should have the option to choose for themselves whether they want it to end or not. It’s immoral to take that choice away
It's a choice that will always be taken away from you in the end, never yours to keep.

It's a choice that will always be taken away from you in the end, never yours to keep.

Yeah but it’s also never someone else’s choice to take away either

Ah, actually you CAN make that choice for other people ☹️ You can argue forever why they shouldn't or legally, morally, ethically can't justify it etc, but we have untold millions of case in evidence that you can take away that choice from others by force.

Telling someone with a kill-all button they 'can't do it' or have no right eventually becomes a case of 'can you literally stop them?'

Ah, actually you CAN make that choice for other people ☹️ You can argue forever why they shouldn't or legally, morally, ethically can't justify it etc, but we have untold millions of case in evidence that you can take away that choice from others by force.

Telling someone with a kill-all button they 'can't do it' or have no right eventually becomes a case of 'can you literally stop them?'

Yes I agree but if we go back to the original question OP was asking if we could end all human life would we, to which I answered no and yes some people are horrible :frown:
Original post by kebab06

what gives a person the right to take a life.

hey in this hypothetical we can mention the environment, the Unabomber rant, the bad things humanity has done, suffering and more, maybe also the meaning of life.

in the reverse, it would talk about the beauty of humanity, the good things humanity has done, the way to look beyond to the stars.

in the end no why would anyone seriously think of pressing the button
Reply 19
I think if we were the dinner for some other predator - you might change your mind. Obviously life is too cushy if you have to think about a button to end it all.

The arrogance with which we assume we are 'superior' beings on a shared planet is breathtaking. We don't need a button to exterminate human kind - the power of nature will sort that one out very quickly (and very soon the way we to continue to destroy other wildlife with impunity in the balance of our shared existence)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending