The Student Room Group

Panic attack during exams

I know my situation will sound really stupid but it's causing me a great deal of worry :frown: I'd just like some advice.
About a year ago I got stuck in a small lift for about 30 mins (felt like decades). I was at the back of the lift so i think I see being at the back of places as a safe option. Since then I've kind of grew a phobia of quiet places with lots of people in.
During my January exams luckily for 4/5 exams my seat was at the back of the exam hall, during these exams I felt okay and could concentrate on my actual exam. But for the one exam where I had to sit in the middle I had a panic attack during the exam, and had to be taken out of the exam hall.
i have 8 summer exams coming up (2 in may, and 6 in June), and i'm really worried about having a panic attack in the exams.
I really want to somehow be seated at the back of the exam hall, but I don't know how to go about doing this. I want to talk to my form teacher about it but I'm scared she'll laugh as it sounds like such a funny phobia :frown::frown: Being claustrophobic at the front of the exam hall but not the back :angry:. But it's really worrying me.

Id like some advice, should I go tell my form teach about this so if I can sit at the back of the exam hall, and how should I go about saying this without sounding stupid or like I'm attention seeking :angry: I really need some advice, I'm so scared of panicking :frown::frown:
Reply 1
Bump as it took 5 hours to moderate (don't mean that in a bad way)
Reply 2
It doesn't sound stupid at all. I have panic disorder and have this exact same phobia. I have to sit my exams in a separate room and I also sit near to the door. It's not that uncommon. When I went, they asked if I wanted to sit near the front or the back. I understand how you feel.

Talk to your tutor (or whoever is relevant). It is their duty to help you. Tell them about the panic attack you had in your last exam.

Have you ever gone to a doctor about your panic attacks? You may need to provide some evidence, but it depends on what your school/college/uni requires. If you just need to sit at the back of the exam hall, you may be ok without the evidence. You'll have to ask them about that.

Definitely talk to them about it. All the best. :smile:
Agree with Kazbian, it should be pretty easy to get accommodated with this. Just talk to whoever looks after you at school/uni and I'm sure they'll be able to do something. I had all my exams in a separate room because of anxiety so sitting at the back shouldn't be a problem at all, just ask.
Reply 4
You definitely do not sound stupid, and chances are that teachers at your school have come across students with phobias before so honestly don't worry about talking to them!! Hope they sort it for you, and good luck! :smile: x
try talking to the exam coordinator at your school. i had a panic attack during an A2 exam last year, but because people were around to see it, they knew i wasnt just making it up - i was given my own small room, with an open window and a chair outside the door if i needed to leave suddenly. it really, really helped - the only other panic attack i had then was when i was moved back into the exam hall because they didnt have enough invigilators to give me my own one :smile:
Reply 6
I think it's fine to ask your tutor/exam co-ordinator to sit at the back of the hall. I have emetophobia (phobia of vomiting) and had to ask to be sat away from the exits (because someone might run past and vomit don't ya know :P) and this was allowed :smile:
So I was in an mock exam today and my teacher looked at me and I started panicking. I was okay but I was taken out of the exam, it was only a mini panic attack. Then I went to explain to my teacher of the exam subject and she told me that i hadn't revised and I never do anything right... So this brought on a full blown panic attack! She looked me in the eyes as I was choking for breath and crying and everything went blurry (btw I used to really like this teacher and she was horrible to me when I needed her the most, never shall I forgive her) so when she finished I couldn't face going to the canteen so I stood by the stairs and this teacher saw me and said (I quote)
... (I quote) "lovely, you need to sit on a chair. You're having a panic attack, it's okay." It's probably not okay but she put her hand on my shoulder and said "you are not going to die, breath. Just try to inhale." She had suffered with panic attacks and she said that wherever you are and whatever is going on if you start to lose control, sit on the floor. Forget the exam, clear your head put your hands/ wrists on the floor/ walls and cool down. Breath as much as you can and if you have a drink, sip it gently.
Reply 9
I really know how it feels your not alone I start too shake and sweat and it's like I want to scream and I can't focus on my paper and my heart races I have started taking a elastic band in exams on my wrist and ping it when stressed thank god I'm not alone
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest