The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
lulu7
no i don't know the reforms. i wasn't aware we had to know the reforms for every defence etc ya know!!!lol

lol this is how much we have to learn!!!!
Well I just thought if criminal damage comes up as an essay (which is has done b4) we're guna need evaluation and reforms...
Reply 381
Nicci1187
The Law Commission drafted a Bill in 1993 with suggested reforms - nothings been done.
1)INTENTIONALLY CAUSING SERIOUS INJURY - would replace s18 and max sentence would be life.
2)RECKLESSLY CAUSING SERIUOS INJURY - would replace s20 and max penalty increased from 5 years to 7 years
3)INTENTIONALLY OR RECKLESSLY CAUSING INJURY - would replace s47, max sentence 5years
4) NEW OFFENCE OF ASSAULT...guilty of assault if..
a - intentionallly or recklessly apply force or cause an impact on the body of another OR
b - intentionally or recklessly cause a person to believe that such force or impact is imminent
BOTH WOUL REPLACE CURRENT ASSAULT AND BATTERY - max sentence 6 months

Transmission of disease would only come under CLAUSE 1 because it would be wrong to criminalise reckless transmission of minor diseases eg- measles AND wrong to discriminate against those with AIDS

Arguable that gap between clauses 2 and 3 should be widenened. Not 7/5 but 10/5 or 7/3 years

OOOO I was struggling on that part, that's just what I needed!!!!! THANK YOUUUU SO MUCH!!!XXX
Reply 382
No probz, it helps me revise lol
Reply 383
can sum1 clarify the ghosh test to me! its confusing me big time!
Reply 384
sonya_p

This is what I have:

The case of Ghosh created a two part test, part objective and part subjective, to help the court decide when a person can be said to be dishonest.
First, the jury has to consider whether the defendant behaved dishonestly according to the standards of a reason able person (this is the objective part).
Second, the jury must consider whether the defendant themselves believed they were behaving dishonestly.
If the answer to both these questions is YES then the defendant can be said to have behaved dishonestly.

I think thats right...
sonya_p

There is no further definition of dishonest. The courts have had to decide whether to apply an objective test or a subjective test. However, the C/A tried to reach a compromise between these two positions in the case of R V GHOSH - the C/A laid down the following guidelines for juries. A jury must ask itself two questions:

1. Would the defendant's conduct be regarded as dishonest by the ordinary standards of reasonable and honest people?

If the jury decides it would not then the defendant must be acquitted, if the jury decided that it would then it must ask itself a further question

2. Did the defendant realise that his conduct would be regarded as dishonest by the standards of reasonable and honest people?

If 1 & 2 are satisfied it does not matter that the defendant himself considers his actions to have been honest. The test is whether he recognises that 'reasonable honest people' would think that it was dishonest, regardless of what he actually though.
Reply 386
thanks for the help zoe and multiplexed.

makes sense :smile:
Reply 387
anyone think "Participation" will come up as an essay question for criminal law 1?
No..parties was on in January.

Further to the definition of dishonesty, in statute there are 3 principles where the person would not be deemed dishonest.

1. Where the person believed they had a right in law to deprive the other of it.
2. Where the person believed that the deprived would have consented to the appropriation, had they been aware.
3. Where the person cannot trace the owner through reasonable steps (as it appears to THEM).
Reply 389
IM PANICING NOW! IVE ONLY DONE NON FATALS :frown: SOOO MUCH MORE TO LEARN FOR CRIMINAL LAW 2!

is every1 certain that theft and a defence will come up?

In the problem question i mean
Reply 390
do we need to learn obtaining property by deception? its in my book with making off without payment.
Reply 391
sonya_p
do we need to learn obtaining property by deception? its in my book with making off without payment.

Hi, yeah I would because we have had practice scenarios in which, making off without payment has come up as well as obtaining property/services by deception.:smile:
Reply 392
ebarrett4
Hi, yeah I would because we have had practice scenarios in which, making off without payment has come up as well as obtaining property/services by deception.:smile:

err thats no good! :eek: i have to cram so much in now!
Reply 393
sonya_p
err thats no good! :eek: i have to cram so much in now!

Oh im sorry! didnt mean to panic you, I would literally just learn a paragraph on each for when your stating the law in the scenario. How are you feeling about the synoptic paper? x
Reply 394
ebarrett4
Oh im sorry! didnt mean to panic you, I would literally just learn a paragraph on each for when your stating the law in the scenario. How are you feeling about the synoptic paper? x

at the moment im not feeling anything about synoptic.... i have refused to think about it until i get my criminal law 2 and literature exam out of the way.

but i assume it will not be that bad....
i am going to make sure i know statutory and judicial properly.
obviously im learning robbery and burglary now so its not that much of a problem really.

what about u?
sonya_p
at the moment im not feeling anything about synoptic.... i have refused to think about it until i get my criminal law 2 and literature exam out of the way.

but i assume it will not be that bad....
i am going to make sure i know statutory and judicial properly.
obviously im learning robbery and burglary now so its not that much of a problem really.

what about u?

Im doing the exact same thing, synoptic wont be that hard. Theres only a few things to revise. Can be done in a day.
Reply 396
Multiplexed
Im doing the exact same thing, synoptic wont be that hard. Theres only a few things to revise. Can be done in a day.

weird how they have set majority of the marks for synoptic... :confused:
for criminal law 2 there are about 19 elements, 20 if you add obtaining property by deception.

hmmm

:rolleyes:
Reply 397
ok...im getting really irritated now! im doing some past papers. where i think its ABH, it turns out to GBH s20 or s18.

if some one hits the person in the face and that person bleeds, is it ABH? or GBH?

you will bleed if there is a breakage of the skin right? but in the book its ABH. im getting confused
sonya_p
ok...im getting really irritated now! im doing some past papers. where i think its ABH, it turns out to GBH s20 or s18.

if some one hits the person in the face and that person bleeds, is it ABH? or GBH?

you will bleed if there is a breakage of the skin right? but in the book its ABH. im getting confused

Ah.

Start with the least serious offence you think it is, in this case ABH. Then work up to s.20 & s.18 if possible. You dont have to say just one single offence otherwise how are you meant to get AO2 marks?
Reply 399
Multiplexed
Ah.

Start with the least serious offence you think it is, in this case ABH. Then work up to s.20 & s.18 if possible. You dont have to say just one single offence otherwise how are you meant to get AO2 marks?

ohhh so there is no definite answer! no wonder i was getting so confused! lol cheers.

Latest

Trending

Trending