The Student Room Group

C2 Help please!

The circle with centre C (5,8) touches the y-axis,
express the equation of the circle in the form (x-a)^2+(y-a)^2=k
How do I find 'k' which is the radius?
Could you please explain?
Thank you!
If I remember correctly your 'k' value is the square root of your a value squared plus your b value squared :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Monkeys!
Thank you!

The equation of the circle should read that  (xa)2+(yb)2=r2\ (x-a)^2 + (y - b)^2 = r^2 :smile:
What do you know already about a and b?
Reply 3
you know the center of the circle and you know that the circle touches the y axis when x = 0 so you can work out the coordinate at the y axis and then work out the distance between the center and the edge of the circle, giving you the radius, square the radius and you get k :smile: obviously you know the center is at 5,8 and the place where it touches the y axis is 0,something so the distance is 5 so k is 25 (don't forget it is r^2 not r)
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Monkeys!
Thank you!

If it touches the Y axis, and the x value of it's centre is 5, the radius must be 5, and therefore k=5 (diagram not to scale):Untitled.png
Original post by Munrot07
you know the center of the circle and you know that the circle touches the y axis when x = 0 so you can work out the coordinate at the y axis and then work out the distance between the center and the edge of the circle, giving you the radius, square the radius and you get k :smile:

You're a genius! I was stuck on that question myself haha.
Reply 6
Original post by Rumschpringe
If it touches the Y axis, and the x value of it's centre is 5, the radius must be 5, and therefore k=5 (diagram not to scale):Untitled.png

k5\ k \not= 5 . . . Close but just a small error.
Reply 7
Original post by Rumschpringe

k will equal 25 as k = r^2
Original post by Munrot07
k will equal 25 as k = r^2

Oh yeah my bad!
Original post by joostan
 k5\ k \not= 5 . . . Close but just a small error.

Really? Well that's confusing haha! Oh well
Reply 10
Thank you all very much:smile:! That helped alot!

Quick Reply

Latest