The Student Room Group

Ucat 2023

I am very confused with UCAT. I am doing my A level right now as a private candidate and will be sitting for A level exam on summer 2024. Should I do UCAT on 2023 or 2024 after my A level exam? Please anyone give me some advice….also when to apply for uni…after doing UCAT or before UCAT??
Thanks in Advance😊😊
Hey there, thanks for posting a question in the Medicine forum. :biggrin:

The Medicine forum gets a high volume of questions being posted, and some of these are already answered by the resources and Megathreads that members of the community and volunteers have created. This is an automatic post which is designed to highlight these resources. Below is a list of threads and articles that could answer your question (you should be looking in the original post of the megathreads). If one of the below threads is a more relevant place to ask your question, please post a reply in that thread to ask your question. If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked below, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.

Megathreads
(Please read the first post, before then posting any further questions you have within that thread.)
The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread
The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread
Medicine A-Level subjects queries
Work Experience and Voluntary Work

2023 Applicants:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2023 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2023 Entry
Medicine 2023 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants
A100 Medicine for International Students 2023 Entry
Medicine Interview discussion 2023 Entry
2023 entry A100 / A101 Medicine fastest and slowest offer senders
Index of Individual Medical School Applicants' threads 2023 Entry

2024 Applicants :
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2024 Entry
GAMSAT 2024 / 2025 entry discussions megathread
UCAT 2024 Entry Discussions Megathread

Other application years:
Graduate Entry Medicine 2025 Entry
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2025 Entry

Useful Articles:
GCSE Requirements for Medicine
Everything you need to know about the BMAT
Work Experience as a Graduate or Mature student
Medicine Personal Statement Advice
Medicine Personal Statement Advice (Graduate Entry)
Interview Frequently Asked Questions
MMI Medicine Interview Tips
What to do after an unsuccessful first application

If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked above, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.
Reply 2
Original post by Kheya
I am very confused with UCAT. I am doing my A level right now as a private candidate and will be sitting for A level exam on summer 2024. Should I do UCAT on 2023 or 2024 after my A level exam? Please anyone give me some advice….also when to apply for uni…after doing UCAT or before UCAT??
Thanks in Advance😊😊

Hi, the UCAT should be completed in the months before you submit your UCAS application which is the October of the year that you are in your final year (beginning of your year 13 year and the same academic year that you sit your A-level exams)

So if you are sitting them in summer 2024, you will need to have done your UCAT this year as you will be submitting your UCAS application in October 2023 for medicine.

Hope that makes sense. You can find more information online about UCAT preparation and timing. The booking for UCAT has not opened yet, but you can register for an account on the Pearson Vue website. Check out free resources such as The Medic Portal, 6med and YT videos to help out!
Useful guide for you to get started: https://6med.co.uk/ucat/guides/getting-started/

Hope that's helpful!
Reply 3
Original post by Jammie123
Hi, the UCAT should be completed in the months before you submit your UCAS application which is the October of the year that you are in your final year (beginning of your year 13 year and the same academic year that you sit your A-level exams)

So if you are sitting them in summer 2024, you will need to have done your UCAT this year as you will be submitting your UCAS application in October 2023 for medicine.

Hope that makes sense. You can find more information online about UCAT preparation and timing. The booking for UCAT has not opened yet, but you can register for an account on the Pearson Vue website. Check out free resources such as The Medic Portal, 6med and YT videos to help out!
Useful guide for you to get started: https://6med.co.uk/ucat/guides/getting-started/

Hope that's helpful!

Thank you so much for you help😊
Aaghhhh guys i hate the ucat sm
Reply 5
Does the actual UCAT exam have similar patterns to that found on medify for AR? Or are they completely different?
Reply 6
Original post by Nmirza6
Does the actual UCAT exam have similar patterns to that found on medify for AR? Or are they completely different?

So I am a final year med student so wrote my UCAT years ago (2017, back when it was called UKCAT) and my AR had practically very similar patterns to Medify and the official UCAT practice papers that are on the website. My brother who sat the UCAT this year said the AR in the actual exam for him was easier than the questions on Medify!

There are only so many patterns and combinations for AR that can come up so practicing is the best way to improve and become more efficient in AR.

Hope that is helpful!
So I am a final year med student so wrote my UCAT years ago (2017, back when it was called UKCAT) and my AR had practically very similar patterns to Medify and the official UCAT practice papers that are on the website. My brother who sat the UCAT this year said the AR in the actual exam for him was easier than the questions on Medify!

There are only so many patterns and combinations for AR that can come up so practicing is the best way to improve and become more efficient in AR.

Hope that is helpful!

hello! Would you say that the difficulty level for the other sections on the UCAT was similar to medify?
Reply 8
Sorry for the late reply! The verbal reasoning in question banks is very representative of the exam. I did find that in my exam, the passages were sometimes longer for some questions and much shorter for others. I think they do a representative distribution for the questions.

QR I found, was much more straightforward in the actual exam, but then again could have been down to the luck of the type of questions.

I never had DM in my exams (it was a trial section for my year so I just skipped through it) so I cannot comment on this sorry!

Flagging and skipping was my best friend, tbh in the actual exam as I had the time restraints in the back of my mind, and it meant I finished the questions and was able to come back to questions I was less certain of for more time to review.
Original post by zalishmalikk
hello! Would you say that the difficulty level for the other sections on the UCAT was similar to medify?
Sorry for the late reply! The verbal reasoning in question banks is very representative of the exam. I did find that in my exam, the passages were sometimes longer for some questions and much shorter for others. I think they do a representative distribution for the questions.

QR I found, was much more straightforward in the actual exam, but then again could have been down to the luck of the type of questions.

I never had DM in my exams (it was a trial section for my year so I just skipped through it) so I cannot comment on this sorry!

Flagging and skipping was my best friend, tbh in the actual exam as I had the time restraints in the back of my mind, and it meant I finished the questions and was able to come back to questions I was less certain of for more time to review.

Hi and thanks for your reply!
Which section in the actual exam you found the most challenging.
Did you find the AR and SJT harder than medify?
Reply 10
Original post by Greekdentist
Hi and thanks for your reply!
Which section in the actual exam you found the most challenging.
Did you find the AR and SJT harder than medify?

I just did my UCAT yesterday and came out with a 3020 Band 1. In my opinion, AR & SJT were easier than medify although this varies per applicant as a different question bank is used each time ( additionally I did a **** ton of practice on both sections, about 1000 sets for each, this allowed me to recognise each pattern and scenario for AR & SJT respectively ).

Something to note for QR is to skip all the hard questions and guesstimate. If you waste time doing a hard question, sure you may get a mark, but you'll lose out on marks on easier questions.
Reply 11
Original post by CptAshGU
I just did my UCAT yesterday and came out with a 3020 Band 1. In my opinion, AR & SJT were easier than medify although this varies per applicant as a different question bank is used each time ( additionally I did a **** ton of practice on both sections, about 1000 sets for each, this allowed me to recognise each pattern and scenario for AR & SJT respectively ).

Something to note for QR is to skip all the hard questions and guesstimate. If you waste time doing a hard question, sure you may get a mark, but you'll lose out on marks on easier questions.

Great score. Well done !
Guys i'm panicking...
I use both medentry and medify. Apparently medentry is harder than the actual ucat, so I used that mostly so i'll find the actual exam easier. I've been getting scores from 700 to 800 consistently, usually with around 30/36 in qr. However when I did the official UCAT Mock A, i got overall 600. I find that in vr for example, the passages are generally short, but the questions themselves involve a lot more complexities and brain power to be able to answer them. Also, the qr is wayyyy harder than the qr in medentry...

I've always heard that the qr in medentry is much harder than the official (and medify). I've also heard people saying that medify is more representative of the actual exam's difficulty compared to medentry. I find medify easier than medentry, like most people. But here's the problem: when i try out the official UCAT question banks and mocks, all of the questions appear to be much much harder than both medentry and medify. :confused: There's clearly a confliction between everyone elses opinions here...

My question is, are the UCAT official question banks/ mocks more similar to the actual exam than medentry, or medify? Because the questions on medify are the easiest out of the 3, but ucat official questions are like 50x harder than both medify and medentry. How do you guys find the official question banks and mocks compared to medify or medentry? :frown:
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 13
Original post by SyedHussain
Guys i'm panicking...
I use both medentry and medify. Apparently medentry is harder than the actual ucat, so I used that mostly so i'll find the actual exam easier. I've been getting scores from 700 to 800 consistently, usually with around 30/36 in qr. However when I did the official UCAT Mock A, i got overall 600. I find that in vr for example, the passages are generally short, but the questions themselves involve a lot more complexities and brain power to be able to answer them. Also, the qr is wayyyy harder than the qr in medentry...

I've always heard that the qr in medentry is much harder than the official (and medify). I've also heard people saying that medify is more representative of the actual exam's difficulty compared to medentry. I find medify easier than medentry, like most people. But here's the problem: when i try out the official UCAT question banks and mocks, all of the questions appear to be much much harder than both medentry and medify. :confused: There's clearly a confliction between everyone elses opinions here...

My question is, are the UCAT official question banks/ mocks more similar to the actual exam than medentry, or medify? Because the questions on medify are the easiest out of the 3, but ucat official questions are like 50x harder than both medify and medentry. How do you guys find the official question banks and mocks compared to medify or medentry? :frown:

Hi. Its a challenging exam and your arent alone. I dont know the answer am afraidd, suggest leaving this question here and somebody might see it, but as its last years thread it gets less traffic.

This is the current thread for 2024 entry below. May have some pointers on there which are more current as I believe some of the question banks have been updated relatively recently.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7328835

Good luck
(edited 8 months ago)
Guys i'm panicking...

you’re doing really well. i should let you know that the official ucat mock a is the hardest one out there and a lot of people have found it extremely tough, so dont get demotivated because it is not a representation of the hard work you put in
Cheers guys,
Do let me know if you find the answer to my other questions.
Reply 16
Cheers guys,
Do let me know if you find the answer to my other questions.

As suggested earlier suggest ypu join/ read the 2024 entry UCAT thread for the answers.

This thread is last years. The mocks and banks have changed since then.

Dont forget that different people use Medentry and Medify and importantly its not a single exam so people dont necessarily get the same questions or level of difficulty / length of VR for example at all. So the answer to your question is that everybody has a different perspective. Go and give yours on thw 2024 thread too.
Original post by GGIN
As suggested earlier suggest ypu join/ read the 2024 entry UCAT thread for the answers.

This thread is last years. The mocks and banks have changed since then.

Dont forget that different people use Medentry and Medify and importantly its not a single exam so people dont necessarily get the same questions or level of difficulty / length of VR for example at all. So the answer to your question is that everybody has a different perspective. Go and give yours on thw 2024 thread too.

Ohhh right my bad
Reply 18
I need help with my UCAT, it's not even a joke. I'm getting 500s and 600s in all of the sections and I have 6 days left, what should I do??????????????

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending