The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Can anyone give me any tips for DA? I normally get 5-7 wrong in mocks but i really want to try minimise this!

Thanks in advance :smile:
Anyone know how Plymouth use the UKCAT? For dentistry?
Original post by PG593
I hope so, whereabouts have you thought of applying? I feel sorry for grads, GEP/GEM sounds nasty. What's the GAMSAT like in comparison to the UKCAT? I would probably go for Kings if I were you but I don't blame you for being cautious. Kings is notorious for being shady with regard to UKCAT/GCSEs scales, well at least with undergraduates anyway. Don't stress too much about it though, I'm sure you have lots of other options with that solid UKCAT. From one aptitude to another for me, BMAT here we come :redface:

Haha thanks for the sympathy! I'm applying to Warwick, Barts, Newcastle and either Kings or Imperial I suppose, but not sure! Kings is beautiful and it'd be a dream come true for a prospective A&E lover but I think it may be slightly out of reach. I think my UKCAT should be good enough for interviews at the other three assuming a decent PS, so maybe I should just take the hit and risk it with the fourth choice? Argh!?

Good luck for the BMAT, I've heard it's not fun :P GAMSAT is similar to the BMAT but A-level chemistry and physics + first year degree biology. 6/7 hours of complete hell! Did it last year unsuccessfully :P
Reply 4403
Original post by the-chosen-one

My friend is applying to Plymouth for dentistry this year and she says Plymouth for A206 don't use the UKCAT. There is a link here if you want to see the dental entry requirements. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Dentistry_Entry_Requirements :smile:
Reply 4404
Original post by suncake
Set A:
Circle - 4
Arrow - 3
Triangle - 2
Square - 1

Set B:
Square - 4
Triangle - 3
Arrow - 2
Circle - 1

Shapes in one box add up to 8. That took ages to figure out, definitely one to skip in the real thing...

It was 695 for 2013 entry. No one can accurately guess what it'll be this time, but I assume it'll increase because people with scores below or near to the current cut-off will be too scared to apply. :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh. now I get it. Definitely wouldn't have got that in the nerves of the test. thanks!
Reply 4405
Original post by MJK91
Haha thanks for the sympathy! I'm applying to Warwick, Barts, Newcastle and either Kings or Imperial I suppose, but not sure! Kings is beautiful and it'd be a dream come true for a prospective A&E lover but I think it may be slightly out of reach. I think my UKCAT should be good enough for interviews at the other three assuming a decent PS, so maybe I should just take the hit and risk it with the fourth choice? Argh!?

Good luck for the BMAT, I've heard it's not fun :P GAMSAT is similar to the BMAT but A-level chemistry and physics + first year degree biology. 6/7 hours of complete hell! Did it last year unsuccessfully :P

That's a good bunch. Even with the high cut-off of 695 last year for Newcastle, I seriously doubt its going to go 740+. Just be aware of the interview and offer ratio, Newcastle do reject a lot post interview but then again its better to have the interview than not :smile: Well with gambles as they say...no risk, no reward. How's your w/e? Haha no its not fun, it looks horrible, I haven't touched my Physics notes in 1000 years. Well I have to say you must have buckets of determination to go through this process a 3rd time, all the best on the grad front!
Original post by ThatScienceGuy
Can anyone give me any tips for DA? I normally get 5-7 wrong in mocks but i really want to try minimise this!

Thanks in advance :smile:

I got 21/28 and 22/28 in DA the official mocks, but got 900 in that section in the real thing!
Does anyone have good tips got the ukcat
Original post by MrSupernova
I got 21/28 and 22/28 in DA the official mocks, but got 900 in that section in the real thing!

Hey, that's great. Would you be able to tel me what you got in each section for the official mocks, and what you got in each section for the realthing?
Original post by the-chosen-one

They say on the website that they look at it somehow, but don't give specifics so I don't think it's that important. Also, the website is a bit old, so this might not be up to date, sorry. :frown:

Do you happen to know which dental schools place a high emphasis on the UKCAT? I got a high score so I want to maximise my chances of getting in :biggrin:
Hey guys I wonder if you can help, on Medify I seem to do better when I do one practice set at a time whereas if I do three sets of VR for example I do really bad :unimpressed: can someone advise me on what it is I might be doing wrong and how they go about VR questions ?
Original post by g.k.galloway
Hey peeps, just sat the UKCAT

VR - 570 (oops!)
QR - 710
AR - 900!!
DA - 750

Total - 2930
Average - 732.5

Pretty happy :smile: Slightly annoyed with VR but it seems to be similar for everyone this year :smile:

Any idea if the VR score will cause issues at any unis?

Well done!!! Told you you'd smash it! So jealous of your AR ability :tongue: you are guaranteed some interviews now! Looks like we're on track
Reply 4412
Anyone else find that on QR you do really badly because you try to work fast and make the most stupid mistake but if you do the questions right you take way too long?
Original post by Dr. Django
Well done!!! Told you you'd smash it! So jealous of your AR ability :tongue: you are guaranteed some interviews now! Looks like we're on track

I hope we are!
Hi, I sat mine last week and ended up with

VR - 650
QR - 900
AR - 670
DA - 750
SJT - Band 2

Total - 2970
Average - 742.5

In terms of preparation I'd really recommend Medify - I found the questions more challenging than the actual exam but this ensured I was thoroughly prepared and calm during the exam. I just did 1 weeks membership and completed the mocks and 1,000 of the questions and I still found this was more than enough. I will however say they had very few SJ questions so I'd look elsewhere for help with that.
Original post by MJK91
Probably a bit of both. People are preparing year on year, and UKCAT have themselves advised people to prepare for the first time. TSR also always overachieves, so perhaps we're just the best of the better this time around?

Who knows. I might still apply for Kings GEP with 740, it's just scary!

Good to see. I hated the myth that you couldn't prepare for the UKCAT. It undermined one of the original purposes of the exam which was to widen participation (though incidentally I got >700 the first 2 times I did it, in the first 2 years it was used, tried to do the same thing in 2011 and failed miserably. I guess my degree made me dumber :rolleyes:)

So many choices! Seriously don't stress over the choice, you're pretty much guaranteed interviews in your other 3 choices (provided Warwick don't hate your PS). Which course do you prefer out of KCL and Imperial? Maybe just flip a coin and get it over with :colone:

Spoiler

Would you guys say some med school will use SJT as filters for undergrad entry?
Original post by g.k.galloway
Hey peeps, just sat the UKCAT

VR - 570 (oops!)
QR - 710
AR - 900!!
DA - 750

Total - 2930
Average - 732.5

Pretty happy :smile: Slightly annoyed with VR but it seems to be similar for everyone this year :smile:

Any idea if the VR score will cause issues at any unis?

Great score there :smile: I personally thought it was scores below 500 in a section that would cause issues
Original post by lucemarialinda
Hi, I sat mine last week and ended up with

VR - 650
QR - 900
AR - 670
DA - 750
SJT - Band 2

Total - 2970
Average - 742.5

In terms of preparation I'd really recommend Medify - I found the questions more challenging than the actual exam but this ensured I was thoroughly prepared and calm during the exam. I just did 1 weeks membership and completed the mocks and 1,000 of the questions and I still found this was more than enough. I will however say they had very few SJ questions so I'd look elsewhere for help with that.

That's great, especially with your QR score! Well done
Original post by manupalace
Good to see. I hated the myth that you couldn't prepare for the UKCAT. It undermined one of the original purposes of the exam which was to widen participation (though incidentally I got >700 the first 2 times I did it, in the first 2 years it was used, tried to do the same thing in 2011 and failed miserably. I guess my degree made me dumber :rolleyes:)

So many choices! Seriously don't stress over the choice, you're pretty much guaranteed interviews in your other 3 choices (provided Warwick don't hate your PS). Which course do you prefer out of KCL and Imperial? Maybe just flip a coin and get it over with :colone:

Spoiler

Hey man, sorry I never got round to replying to your PM the other day. In Southampton at the moment visiting family but will get you the copy of my still-too-long-and-incomplete PS to shred if you're still ok with that?

Something draws me to KCL, probably just the sheer reputation behind the place but also the location. The former is also true for Imperial I suppose, but the interviews look tougher (as does the intensive style of the degree too!). I guess from that it's obvious I'd prefer KCL but I keep seeing low VR scores and thinking I should apply strategically.

Starting to **** yourself over the prospect of starting in a month? Or just over... :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending