The Student Room Group

Doing an A level in a year

Hello, I am an AS Student (going into A2 very soon though).

The courses I take currently are:
AS Government & Politics
AS Economics
AS Classical Civilisation
AS English Literature

I am unsure as to which subjects I want to continue with next year, which is why I'm on here, gathering opinions and advice from you all (hopefully).

I really want to do Politics at degree level and know that English Literature isn't really going to work well with Politics and so I will not be continuing with it next year.

I thought at the beginning that A Level Economics would compliment it well, however the course really drains me. I enjoy it but my MTG is a C and so I am uncertain whether or not to drop it next year, also.

I obviously can't just do two A Levels if I drop the courses mentioned above, so I thought about picking up AS and A2 Sociology next year. I hear that it works well with Politics? Or should I just stick to just dropping Literature, carrying on with Politics, Classics and Economics?

Please help, I'm so confused!
Hey! I do AS sociology (nearly finished) and I'm not trying to put you off but it involves so many notes and sociologist names etc. You're going to find it difficult to do it all in a year! I currently have a whole massive file worth of notes and case studies etc for SCLY2. If you do decide to to it, I got a 90% A grade in the January exam so I would be happy to help! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why would English Lit not work well with Politics? I would never be able to write essays as well if I didn't take English Lit, and battled my way through the 3k coursework essay in A2. Plus there's plenty of politics embedded in many great texts. Some food for thought.
Reply 3
I am currently doing English lit, ancient history and politics in one year and the workload for one year courses can get ridiculous, but the most problematic thing is revision during exam time as I have to start revising like 4/5 exams ahead because they are so close together.
as for politics and English literature not complimenting each other, I couldn't disagree more. Throughout AS and A2, I have understood many things others in my English class didn't have a clue about simply because of politics, allowing me to achieve 'context' marks more easily. This helped whilst doing the secret agent for AS, with the whole anarchism theme and particularly with my a2 coursework which I did on 'modern love', 'betrayal' and 'madame Bovary' as through studying feminism in politics, it allowed to discuss the achievement of female suffrage from the '60s.
I would say if your college does ideologies (route b) for a2, it can and does help with English, although there is a lot to learn.
p.s. sorry for the essay, I am writing this on my HTC whilst procrastinating revision haha.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending