The Student Room Group

how can i get into a uni course which requires a levels that i don’t study?

i want to do neuroscience, but i’m doing eng lit, chem, and socio. i tried changing lit to bio or psych but by the time i asked it was too late.
Original post by mosthated
i want to do neuroscience, but i’m doing eng lit, chem, and socio. i tried changing lit to bio or psych but by the time i asked it was too late.

Gap year and take the required A-level/s?
Reply 2
Original post by ageshallnot

Gap year and take the required A-level/s?

that seems so long tho im currently in year 12
that seems so long tho im currently in year 12

it's 1 year?
The alternative would be a foundation year which would be: more expensive and less well recognised....and would also take 1 year extra
As above, the quickest, cheapest route which leaves the most options open is to take a year out and do the required AL subjects.If you're heading into neuroscience then you can't balk at the first hurdle.
Original post by University of Suffolk student
I know what you mean, same thing happened to me when I tried to do a master in Computer Science and did not have the requirements. I ended up starting from scratch as an undergraduate. It will be more expensive, of course, but my passion for the tech field and knowing where I want to be in the future are things that help me forget this burden. So try to see if it's worth it to do so.

I think you meant to quote someone else
Original post by PQ
I think you meant to quote someone else

Yes you're right

I know what you mean, same thing happened to me when I tried to do a master in Computer Science and did not have the requirements. I ended up starting from scratch as an undergraduate. It will be more expensive, of course, but my passion for the tech field and knowing where I want to be in the future are things that help me forget this burden. So try to see if it's worth it to do so.
AS
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 8
Original post by PQ

it's 1 year?
The alternative would be a foundation year which would be: more expensive and less well recognised....and would also take 1 year extra

im confused can you elaborate how would me taking a gap year help? and how would i take the necessary subjects after a gap year if ive already finished a levels?
Reply 9
Original post by Admit-One
As above, the quickest, cheapest route which leaves the most options open is to take a year out and do the required AL subjects.If you're heading into neuroscience then you can't balk at the first hurdle.

do you mean a gap year after year 12?
im confused can you elaborate how would me taking a gap year help? and how would i take the necessary subjects after a gap year if ive already finished a levels?

Finish your current 3 A levels and then sit Biology A level in a year

Alternatively speak to your college and see if they'd allow you to stay on for "Year 14" in which case ask if you can sit an AS level in one or two of your subjects this year and then start A level Biology and Psychology next year alongside the remaining A level from your current set and finish them during a year 14.
do you mean a gap year after year 12?

This >>

Original post by PQ

Alternatively speak to your college and see if they'd allow you to stay on for "Year 14" in which case ask if you can sit an AS level in one or two of your subjects this year and then start A level Biology and Psychology next year alongside the remaining A level from your current set and finish them during a year 14.
Reply 12
what did you need to do do undergraduate?
Reply 13
Original post by PQ

yeah that would be 4/5 years altogether i’m not sure but i’ll see about the year 14.

about the foundation year, how would that work? do i need specific requirements for it?
yeah that would be 4/5 years altogether i’m not sure but i’ll see about the year 14.

about the foundation year, how would that work? do i need specific requirements for it?

no it wouldn't it's just 1 year extra before starting university - Yr 12 (this year) 2023/24, Yr 13 2024/25, gap year to take Bio/Psych (either independently or as Yr 14 with your school) 2025/26, start degree Sept 2026.

ashton University and University of westminister would allow One science but unis such as UCl, kcl, bath, Queen marys and manchester Will not so it depends what uni you are aiming to Go to
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 16
Original post by PQ

no it wouldn't it's just 1 year extra before starting university - Yr 12 (this year) 2023/24, Yr 13 2024/25, gap year to take Bio/Psych (either independently or as Yr 14 with your school) 2025/26, start degree Sept 2026.

oh i seeeee, sorry was confused i thought you meant take a levels after the gap year
Reply 17
There are several Unis that offer Foundation Science for those with high grades but in the 'wrong' subjects :
Southampton - Science Foundation Year | University of Southampton
Nottingham - Science with Foundation Year BSc | University of Nottingham
Leeds - Studies in Science with Foundation Year BSc | University of Leeds
Etc, etc
Reply 18

any Russel group uni will want two sciences, and I'm not sure if sociology will really count as a 'hard' science. I think if you apply for non-russet group universities you should be able to get in with those subjects! how far into your a levels are you? if you're in year 12 I really feel like you could push to transfer

Quick Reply

Latest