The Student Room Group

Would you do an extra year of sixth form and an extra year of uni?

Like say you did A Levels for a year and dropped it for BTEC for 2 more years and then a foundation year at uni?
Original post by Anony345533
Like say you did A Levels for a year and dropped it for BTEC for 2 more years and then a foundation year at uni?

Hi,
Firstly, why do you want to drop a levels? I would seek support from teachers and your year lead, so that they can advise you what to do. I would encourage you to try your best and stick with a levels as you never know what could happen & if you’re worried about not getting into uni with a levels there will be plenty of universities that will accept you through a process called ‘Clearing’. So don’t lose hope just yet! If you genuinely don’t like the a levels you are doing then as a BTEC student I can tell you that it’s completely fine and normal to stay an extra year. I know many people who redid a year of a levels and are at uni now. Personally, I did a levels and dropped it for a BTEC, so I had to stay at college another year & I have just finished my first year at uni. I settled well, enjoyed it, made friends. Plus when you get to uni, there are people of all ages so don’t worry about not fitting in! Why do you need to do a foundation year though?
Reply 2
Original post by sashadivachic
Hi,
Firstly, why do you want to drop a levels? I would seek support from teachers and your year lead, so that they can advise you what to do. I would encourage you to try your best and stick with a levels as you never know what could happen & if you’re worried about not getting into uni with a levels there will be plenty of universities that will accept you through a process called ‘Clearing’. So don’t lose hope just yet! If you genuinely don’t like the a levels you are doing then as a BTEC student I can tell you that it’s completely fine and normal to stay an extra year. I know many people who redid a year of a levels and are at uni now. Personally, I did a levels and dropped it for a BTEC, so I had to stay at college another year & I have just finished my first year at uni. I settled well, enjoyed it, made friends. Plus when you get to uni, there are people of all ages so don’t worry about not fitting in! Why do you need to do a foundation year though?

Because the original course that I wanted to do at uni requires A Levels but I am dropping them for BTEC
(edited 8 months ago)
Because the original course that I wanted to do at uni requires A Levels but I am dropping them for BTEC

Oh okay, then don't worry. Are you sure they wont accept your BTEC? You should enquire at universities that do your course, and maybe you will not have to do a foundation year! Try and look at all universities who do it. Then you can decide when you start your application - if a) you really want to study at a particular uni and will do a foundation year to get into it or b) go straight into first year at a uni that accepts your BTEC.

To make it up for my overall grade most definitely

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending